Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Charging problem - accessory not supported etc.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Charging problem - accessory not supported etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NigelDay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Charging problem - accessory not supported etc. Reply with quote

Garmin nuvi 3598 only been in use for a couple of months now not charging. Message (before battery died) was something like "accessory not supported". It will not charge in the car (but the accessory socket light is on - red - correctly), nor using the supplied Garmin mini USB charging cable from a separate charger (which is working OK because it charges iPads etc.).
So, the charging circuit from the 12-pin magnetic holder AND the mini USB charging port are not working.
Is this a known issue ? Looks like a return Garmin with an RMA, but any advice before I do so.
Out of interest, does anyone know the function of the 12 pins on the magnetic mount. I could at least check there was power being delivered at this point.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a RMA is your only option. Normally a message like that is to do with something like a cable not being supported as your nuvi expects a different cable, maybe a traffic versus a non traffic one, but the fact it's not even charging points to another issue.

It could also simply be that the charger isn't putting out enough power or the charger isn't a Garmin one. Have you tried just using the Garmin cable plugged into your PC?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that message and it was when it was plugged into an old USB 1.1 socket on the PC not pushing out enough oomph.

If the car fag socket isn't playing ball then RMA it is.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging problem - accessory not supported etc. Reply with quote

NigelDay wrote:
Garmin nuvi 3598 only been in use for a couple of months now not charging. Message (before battery died) was something like "accessory not supported". It will not charge in the car (but the accessory socket light is on - red - correctly), nor using the supplied Garmin mini USB charging cable from a separate charger (which is working OK because it charges iPads etc.).
So, the charging circuit from the 12-pin magnetic holder AND the mini USB charging port are not working.
Is this a known issue ? Looks like a return Garmin with an RMA, but any advice before I do so.
Out of interest, does anyone know the function of the 12 pins on the magnetic mount. I could at least check there was power being delivered at this point.

Have you checked the fuse in the Garmin power supply adapter?

The Garmin mini usb cable is for PC sync only as the website states....."Does not provide wiring for external power."

I have been investigating this Garmin cable problem and to use a usb power supply a special cable is needed with a resistor in the mini usb plug. I haven't found a UK supplier but this site has them https://www.edotechsupply.com/ and I bought this cable and mini charger which works fine http://tinyurl.com/hflf7ke.

This link may assist you regarding the cables http://www.poi-factory.com/node/43895
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this twice, the second time it was clearly the 'wrong' cable as regards traffic as mentioned above.

The first time was more akin to the OP. The SatNav would not charge. I was on holiday and had to charge the device in the villa and then only use it when I needed it in the car. Eventually we compromised. On when needed, off but charging when not. I suspect as mentioned above that it was a cable/power mismatch.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: