Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic problems after Version 5.20 update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic problems after Version 5.20 update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I expect there'll be a 8.30 for your model series shortly.

I really hope so. Many thanks.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
5.30 just been issued

Cheers, now installed.

Not that I had any problem with traffic....
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I expect there'll be a 8.30 for your model series shortly.

It's been a week since you suggested there should be an 8.30 available "shortly". Do you think this should have been here by now? If so, who should I contact (and how) to give them a nudge? Maybe they believe that people running 5.20 were the only ones experiencing the problems!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try calling Product Support. It may be no one has complained about problems with your satnav.

Monday–Friday: 8:30 AM–5:30 PM
Phone (freephone from UK landline): 0808 238 0000
Phone (within UK): 0370 850 1242
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Try calling Product Support. It may be no one has complained about problems with your satnav.

Monday–Friday: 8:30 AM–5:30 PM
Phone (freephone from UK landline): 0808 238 0000
Phone (within UK): 0370 850 1242

I've just rung the number and he said that version 8.20 was the latest and there were no plans to bring out a8.30 version. He did, however, talk me through a master reset and said that after leaving the unit for 30 minutes (with full view of the sky) it should then not show an incompatibility issue with the car power cable.

It's standing outside now as I speak so hope it sorts it

I also highlighted the issue where the mapping is suspect. It STILL routes me off a major road on to a minor/unclassified road only to rejoin the major road about a mile on to save less than a tenth of a mile. He is going to e.mail me with details about how to report it to the map suppliers/creators.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sound like a cop out to get rid of you for at least 30min. The routing problem is almost certainly NOT the maps, but the routing algorithm of the Garmin software on the device.
Give us some lat/lon refs to test out the route that goes wrong on other devices. I have had my Garmin do exactly the ame, whereas iGO stays on the same main road.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Both sound like a cop out to get rid of you for at least 30min. The routing problem is almost certainly NOT the maps, but the routing algorithm of the Garmin software on the device.
Give us some lat/lon refs to test out the route that goes wrong on other devices. I have had my Garmin do exactly the ame, whereas iGO stays on the same main road.

OK. Used the Garmin this morning and . . . . . yes, you guessed it, there is still the incompatibility issue with the power cable. Having read other threads on here, I have checked the cable and it is fine and kink free. The guy I spoke to was SO confident that his advice would sort it!!!!

As for the mapping issue, I agree with you - I believe it's a Garmin software issue too. I followed the link to report it to their map suppliers and clicked here, clicked there and when it asked me what unit I was using, the nevi 2699 wasn't even listed!!!! I entered it manually but it was rejected giving me an error code of 500. Why don't these people just accept that it may be just THEIR fault and not pass the buck and waste their customers' time.

I sent Garmin Europe a message telling them of the Error Code of their mappers and I had this reply:

Dear Garmin Customer,
Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.
If your device is not routing what you know to be the quickest way to a destination, it may be the result of a couple of variables.
The device will route you to your destination in the quickest general way it knows how. If you are more familiar with the area, chances are you will know a quicker way in certain scenarios. If that is the case, then the device will not route those 'shortcuts' because it wants to route you on major general roads.
However, should you decide to take such shortcuts, then the device will most likely recalculate to your desired route if you simply drive that route.
Other variables that can affect the routing of the device are the navigational settings. To access the navigation settings on your device:

Touch Tools
Skip this step on some devices
Touch Settings
Touch Navigation
After this step, some devices require you to touch Automobile or Car, then new Route
Ensure that the Route Preference or Calculation Mode is set to FasterTime
Some devices require you to touch the back button
Touch Avoidances
Select only the options you would like to avoid
Touch OK or Save
Once the Route Preference or Calculation Mode and Avoidances have been set, the device should route you accordingly. You may also need to verify that the device's usage mode is set to automobile.

If your device is still not reasonably routing you correctly please provide a more detailed explanation of the problem (examples below):
If the map displayed is different from the spoken directions, specifically how is it different?
Was the route bad in some way or did it take too long to calculate?
If the route was the problem, was the problem the path taken or the navigation instructions?
In the case where the route was the problem, what was the expected behavior?
If the given directions were the problem, what was wrong with them?
If the issue is with the ETA, is this a route used often?
Were you able to re-create the issue?
Route Information:

Start, End, and Via Points of route
Time and Date route was created
Screenshot with the route active
Device Hardware/Software Information:

Product Model
Hardware Version
Software Version
Mapping Version
Audio Version
Text Version
Navigation Settings:

Calculation Mode
Avoidances
Custom Avoidances
myTrends enabled/disabled
Environmental Zones enabled/disabled
Traffic Settings:

Traffic enabled/disabled
trafficTrends enabled/disabled
Optimize Route Settings
Traffic Alert Settings
GTM/TA cable connected
Smartphone make/model (iPhone or Android)

Even though I told them that I had tried many permutations in their settings, they are still bullish*****g me.

Contrary to what they say, I don't rely on the unit when I have local knowledge when I can overrule the directions given. It's when I am in an unfamiliar place that I get into trouble as I don't know any difference. It happens in many places here in South and Southwest Wales (and probably elsewhere too) but, M8TJT, the route I highlighted to Garmin was from - and this is just an example: From SA15 3DW to SA31 2AF. Now this should take you mostly along the B4309 but at a village called "Five Roads" it instructs me to turn left on to "Heol Hen" then continue on Herberdeg Road (both unclassified and very very narrow) to join the B4137 only to rejoin the B4309 saving very little mileage but the time difference is significantly longer because it's a single track road so I can't reach the speeds I can on the B4309.

I'll be back on the phone to them this afternoon. Just as well their phone number is freephone.

Has anyone any other thoughts?

M8TJT
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't we discussed this route before? I've just run it on my 2508 and it routes along the B4309 with no attempt to put me onto the B4317.

Why yours is doing what you say I have no idea, unless you're using an out of date map or perhaps have shortest routing selected?

Edit: Just run this route on Basecamp, there it does take the route you describe so I suspect it's one where the map data is just on the decision cusp and there may be variations depending on slight changes in routing algorithms or maps, or even based on how your nuvi has learnt (or not yet learnt) your driving style.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sussamb. The latest is that I called Garmin Europe again this evening and spoke to a different person. I told him the story and the first thing he said was "I'll get a new unit sent out to you". He took my details and the line went silent for nearly five minutes then he came back and had changed his mind (possibly been over-ruled) and said that he'd send a replacement power cable instead to see if that would sort the issue. I thought that he was rather quick to say that to be honest.

Will have to wait and see if that sorts the compatibility issue out at least. I'm hoping it won't just to see if a replacement unit would also sort out my mapping issue.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of occasions where cables have failed without any visible sign and a replacement has worked so fingers crossed Smile
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an update regarding the issue I (and others) had regarding the power cable apparently becoming inoperative following software update.

Garmin sent me a replacement cigar-lighter cable which didn't solve the problem so they decided to replace the unit (probably refurbished but as long as it works, that's ok). I had to send the unit only without attachments and cables.

It took around four days for the 'new' unit to arrive and, as soon as it did, the first thing I did was to connect it into the car. I used the original cable and it gave me no warning about incompatibility, so it was my unit after all.

I make my first journey in the morning so it'll be interesting to see if I am sent down unsuitable roads similar to my first unit.

Watch this space.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interesting.

My guess is that if the logic is flawed then it'll do the same.

Fingers crossed though.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
I also highlighted the issue where the mapping is suspect. It STILL routes me off a major road on to a minor/unclassified road only to rejoin the major road about a mile on to save less than a tenth of a mile. He is going to e.mail me with details about how to report it to the map suppliers/creators.

It's all too common. It happens when crossing the southern Pennines from around Sheffield to the Macclesfield area. The newer bypasses take a longer route than the old original narrow roads, but the routing points to the old road.

I have complained/suggested to Garmin several times that they introduce a routing option called "Easy" (as per Igo8) or "Caravan" which avoids minor roads except where there is no choice - which is usually at the start or end of the route.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:

My guess is that if the logic is flawed then it'll do the same.

Well, what can I say. I had planned a route from Llanelli to Carmarthen and it took me along the A476 (an OK route) which is one of several options.

Then THIS happened:

It wanted to route me off the A476 for all of around 100 yards only to come back on again.

Any opinions?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of thoughts. Most obvious is that it seems that road is a 20mph limit so it may have felt it would be 'quicker' to route you off onto a 30?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: