Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Desktop Software Update Reply with quote

NatashaProofCam wrote:
Good morning, Natasha here.

The good news is I have new desktop software which is PC and MAC compatible. I am finalising instructions which will be suitable for tech-savvy and novice customers and am aiming to share this via email first to customers who have requested it.

May I kindly ask, if your schedule allows, for an email to be sent to my colleague Jessica at customer@proofcam.com should you like a licensed copy. Naturally she will be checking through all previous requests but this will ensure we don't miss anyone.

Thank you for your patience whilst we worked on this.

Natasha, could you add me to that list as this is the main 'issue' in the review that needs addressing.

Matthew
GeoffWanless
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: RAC05 Reply with quote

Hello folks. I tried out one of these RAC 05 units. I had to return it because it didn’t work in my car. The electric heated windscreen blocked the GPS signal.

My car is a VW Golf and the heated windscreen works by a metalised film. It is an extremely expensive option and is specified on only a very small number of cars. So most likely this won’t be a huge problem for the product
By far the most common type of heated windscreen is a metal element deign and this is fitted as standard to a great many Ford cars. My wife has such a car, and so I am pleased to inform that the unit appeared to work OK in her car.
The memory card slot was broken and it wasn’t possible to remove the micro sd card.
The display has not got a night dim function, which makes it way too bright for night time driving. Because of this, the function to turn off the screen is essential. However the minimum time of 3 minutes is far too long.
Even when the 3 minutes display off has been achieved, a speed alert will turn the screen on again. Good. However the screen does not turn off at the alert all clear, but waits a further 3 minutes before turning off. Bad. On a route with frequent speed alerts the display can remain on almost constantly, which at night is a hazardous distraction
The speed alert distance / time as way too short. The alert is probably OK for slow moving city traffic but useless for faster driving conditions. It’s almost an “expect a fine in the post” alert.
The GPSpocketworld alerts timing is variable on both my Tom Tom satnav and even on the App on my iPhone. This product is deficient in this regard which almost makes the speed alerts useless.
The speed warning function has a fatal omission – it cannot be turned off. This means that you will hear the warning chime frequently no matter what speed it is set to. Set to 70 and cruising at 70 causes the chime to repeatedly sound. It is difficult to differentiate this chime with that of the speed alert, and so there is a constant unnecessary demand on the driver’s attention.

I hope that this note helps!
agoundry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Desktop Software Update Reply with quote

NatashaProofCam wrote:

The good news is I have new desktop software which is PC and MAC compatible. I am finalising instructions which will be suitable for tech-savvy and novice customers and am aiming to share this via email first to customers who have requested it.

May I kindly ask, if your schedule allows, for an email to be sent to my colleague Jessica at customer@proofcam.com should you like a licensed copy. Naturally she will be checking through all previous requests but this will ensure we don't miss anyone.

Great news Natasha, thanks for your reply. I will drop a note to Jessica now.
loro
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: delivery times Reply with quote

loro wrote:
how long is delivery on this unit mine has been waiting in dispatch now for 2 days ?

Thanks for the reply NOT..as well as using this forum i have emailed and sent mail via web page and have not had a reply from any of them

it was delivered today but it's still showing "waiting dispatch"

and as already stated by others the software is dire, crashes every time..using windows 10
agoundry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: RAC05 Reply with quote

GeoffWanless wrote:
Hello folks. I tried out one of these RAC 05 units. I had to return it because it didn’t work in my car. The electric heated windscreen blocked the GPS signal.

My car is a VW Golf and the heated windscreen works by a metalised film. It is an extremely expensive option and is specified on only a very small number of cars. So most likely this won’t be a huge problem for the product
By far the most common type of heated windscreen is a metal element deign and this is fitted as standard to a great many Ford cars. My wife has such a car, and so I am pleased to inform that the unit appeared to work OK in her car.
The memory card slot was broken and it wasn’t possible to remove the micro sd card.
The display has not got a night dim function, which makes it way too bright for night time driving. Because of this, the function to turn off the screen is essential. However the minimum time of 3 minutes is far too long.
Even when the 3 minutes display off has been achieved, a speed alert will turn the screen on again. Good. However the screen does not turn off at the alert all clear, but waits a further 3 minutes before turning off. Bad. On a route with frequent speed alerts the display can remain on almost constantly, which at night is a hazardous distraction
The speed alert distance / time as way too short. The alert is probably OK for slow moving city traffic but useless for faster driving conditions. It’s almost an “expect a fine in the post” alert.
The GPSpocketworld alerts timing is variable on both my Tom Tom satnav and even on the App on my iPhone. This product is deficient in this regard which almost makes the speed alerts useless.
The speed warning function has a fatal omission – it cannot be turned off. This means that you will hear the warning chime frequently no matter what speed it is set to. Set to 70 and cruising at 70 causes the chime to repeatedly sound. It is difficult to differentiate this chime with that of the speed alert, and so there is a constant unnecessary demand on the driver’s attention.

I hope that this note helps!

Strange, I also have a Golf with the same heated screen, and my 05 works fine. Wonder if VW have tweaked the spec of the screen to make it less of an issue. For info, mine is a late 2013 build but 14 plate GTI
agoundry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Desktop Software Update Reply with quote

NatashaProofCam wrote:

For info, the new Dashcam Viewer software (no longer Google GPS) seems to work pretty well. No movie file loading problems (so far!) and the general display format is much improved. The viewer screen now shows your speed (which it didn't previously). The various screens - viewer, map, data etc. can be viewed either individually, by flicking from one window to another, or pulled on to one screen opening several windows at once and then resizing / positioning them to suit. Altogether a more professional job!
DawkinsDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking forward to trying the new software, but found it requires a 64bit system and doesn't work on 32bit versions of Windows (which is a very large percentage of users). Proofcam have told me that the developers don't think they'll be able to supply a 32bit version, which seems absolutely ridiculous - at heart it's a media player, we're not talking about something that processor intensive!

They've suggested I look for a 3rd party player on the open market that may support the files, but haven't given me any suggestions as to which I should try. I'm certainly not prepared to pay for one, I paid enough for the 05 and, as far as I'm concerned, Proofcam are legally obliged to supply a player that is fit for purpose. On this thread Natasha has admitted the supplied one isn't!

I'm astonished that it's necessary to ask this but do any users know of any decent alternative players that integrate with the data etc correctly?

Thanks
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got the same situation as you but VLC and XBMC are two media players that, in my experience, play absolutely everything.

I hope they can help you out.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DawkinsDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, AliOnHols. The media files play fine on Windows Media Player but, as with VLC etc, that doesn't display the integrated data such as speed nor give the mapping that the proper software should.

Tbh, I'm more than a little annoyed that they released these cameras with such appalling software, by their own admission, and now seem to be leaving many of us high and dry without a suitable alternative. I'd expect better if I'd paid £50, these were treble that!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DawkinsDog

DawkinsDog wrote:
I'm astonished that it's necessary to ask this but do any users know of any decent alternative players that integrate with the data etc correctly?

Have you tried Registrator Viewer, by Vadim Andreevich Kozlov? Registrator Viewer is free and runs on Windows from XP up (32 and 64 bit) and I use it in preference to RoadHawk software for viewing the data.

Regards,

Update - 8th March 2016

You will find that the Registrator Viewer website no longer exisits as it just has the message "Website Expired". This is because the author, Vadim Kozlov was tragically killed on 27 or 28 August 2015 near/on the Zelenogorsk highway. There were no witnesses, and it's unclear if he was on his motorcycle or in a car. This was reported on the Dashcam Talk Forum.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Last edited by Privateer on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
DawkinsDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

Have you tried Registrator Viewer, by Vadim Andreevich Kozlov? Registrator Viewer is free and runs on Windows from XP up (32 and 64 bit) and I use it in preference to RoadHawk software for viewing the data.

Thanks, Privateer, that seems to have done the trick, it's certainly far superior to the supplied software! I still think Proofcam should be better supporting us paying customers when it comes to the desktop software but this one looks a decent alternative.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply to DawkinsDog/General Reply with quote

Happy Christmas Everyone!

I apologise for my lapse in contribution.

I asked our Managing Director Julian for his view on desktop software compatibility for all users in light of the upgrade we have made. Please see his reply to follow -

The latest desktop software is a very sophisticated package and will not work with 32 bit systems. This is not unusual - technology moves forward at a fast pace, as anyone with an iPhone will know, If you want to take advantage of the latest ios software you will need an iPhone 5 or higher - those with an iPhone 4 are not able to upgrade. So we are not alone in having software that does not support older/slower systems, and I do not agree that 32 bit system users are the majority - this is the first instance we have had of an issue like this.

Our manufacturing partner is currently re-developing our software, and will most likely support 32 bit systems as it is not so sophisticated. The current factory version does already support 32 bit systems, but has some known compatibility issues which is why we are developing an updated version.

What I would add is that we take customer service very seriously and work carefully with each customer to ensure they are as happy as possible. If you have any comments that could help us improve, I would love to hear from you natasha@proofcam.com.

In the New Year, I will be developing a test bench of individuals who will offer their opinion on our range of dash cams. More to follow on this if I get Robert's approval.

Natasha[/i]
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Reply to DawkinsDog/General Reply with quote

NatashaProofCam wrote:
So we are not alone in having software that does not support older/slower systems, and I do not agree that 32 bit system users are the majority - this is the first instance we have had of an issue like this.
So that makes it OK then for the millions of 32 bit computer owners then?
Quote:
Our manufacturing partner is currently re-developing our software, and will most likely support 32 bit systems as it is not so sophisticated. The current factory version does already support 32 bit systems, but has some known compatibility issues which is why we are developing an updated version.
Then if the above philosophy re 23 bit computers is correct, why bother? It seems that only a couple of people are being affected (oe more likely, have actually complained about it)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Hi DawkinsDog

DawkinsDog wrote:

Regards,

Thanks, I'll add this to the review. SOftware is the main issue I've had with the camera..

M
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawkinsDog wrote:
Thanks, Privateer, that seems to have done the trick, it's certainly far superior to the supplied software! I still think Proofcam should be better supporting us paying customers when it comes to the desktop software but this one looks a decent alternative.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

Glad to be of help. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: