Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 2340 won't shup up!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 2340 won't shup up!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markleaver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Garmin nuvi 2340 won't shup up! Reply with quote

Have had Garmin 760/770 for a few years now and relatively happy with them, but decided to go for the 2340LMT for free maps updates, and that bit has worked well so far.
My problem is I can't shup this unit up in the way I'd like. I want to have audible traffic alerts while it displays a route, but ity insists on talking me through the directions.
Previous units have had check boxes to enable voice, music and traffic alerts. The 2300 series seem to have a master volume slider/mute only, which means all or nothing.
I do chauuffeur work, and don't want to listen to voice directions when my clients are in the car, but I do want waking up when approaching speed cameras
I've though of installing a "silent" VPM voice file to overcome this, but that seems overkill. I wrote to Garmin soppurt but so far haven't received a reply.
Does anyone know a way around this Master Volume problem. I can't be the only one with this problem?
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about a 2340, but this works on my nuvi 255.

Using the Ash10 Voice Utility, I doctored the Garmin's American voice file to replace all the Navigational instructions with silence - apart from bings, bongs and items in rare usage.

I also doctored the English voice file to replace the annoying 'Recalculating' instruction with silence.

I can now switch between the two sets of voice files as desired - English if I want Navigation, and 'doctored American' if I want to be left alone with just my speed cam chimes.

Dales.
markleaver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Silence is golden! Reply with quote

Garmin ahve just replied to confirm my worst fears. How useless having a StaNav that won't shup up in the right manner! I wonder if TomToms are the same.
Anyway, do you have a copy of yoru "doctored American" VPM I could have, as I've jsut downlaoded Garmins voice editor but I don't fancy going through the motions.
I would have thought more people would have kicked up a fuss about this oversight by Garmin, as I think its really bad not to have the option
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could ask if you're a professional chauffeur why you want 'waking up' when approaching speed cameras. I drive on blue lights and don't need a device to point out clearly marked cameras ... stick to the speed limits, look ahead of you and just switch your nuvi to 'mute' when you have clients in the car Wink

Even then when muted you still get the visual warning, which presumably you'll notice?

Perhaps the reason not many people 'have kicked up a fuss' is because most of us aren't that fussed Smile
markleaver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to the critic - 42 years of driving and no tickets, qualified advanced driver, over 1 million miles of driving in Europe and Asia, no own-fault accidents EVER... need I go on, as I think the facts speak for themselves?
Visual warnings would mean taking eyes off the road; audible warnings, my choice, you don't have to travel with me and I'd rather you didn't.
ALL my clients are very happy and confident with my driving ability.
When it comes to observing speed limits, I do what I've always been taught to do, by my instructors and the police (yes, the police) is drive at an appropriate speed.
That doesn't just mean exceed the speed limit, it means when driving in a speed-restricted zone, circumstances may dictate that you drive at a much lower speed than legally permitted.
This debate is NOT appropriate for this topic or discussion, but I felt the need to respond to the idiot brigade. I asked for answers, not a lecture.
If you drive on a "blue light" you've obviously exceeded the speed limit frequently, what makes you a better driver than me?

Last edited by markleaver on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I touched a raw nerve, and I'm not necessarily saying I'm a better driver ....

My point was that since you are a professional driver I can't understand the problem you're having. I frequent a number of Garmin forums and very few people complain about the fact that when you mute the voice you also mute the audible warnings.

As for 'taking your eyes off the road' we do that all the time, to check dials, warning lights, mirrors etc.

Afraid at the end of the day 'it is what it is' and if you want to change it then you'll need to do as suggested and play with the voice files Smile

Incidentally, there is also another tool you can use ... http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/TTSVoiceEditor
markleaver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Silent file now available to those who want it Reply with quote

I've constructed a totally silent VPM for those who want to drop it into their Garmin, just message me with your requirements and and I'll email it over
steve999gps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Silent Voice file Reply with quote

I would love this silent voice file if you still have it - been looking everwhere for one. I have Private Messaged you. Thanks in advance. I would imagine this would be a very popular thing to have!
steve999gps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Silent Voice Reply with quote

Hurrah! - Cracked the Silent Voice issue.
Used Garmin Voice Studio to create a silent vpm file.
In the tool, for each of the voice prompts, I imported a small, silent WAV file I found called silent-burst.wav. Even that showed some residual noise in the waveform dispaly, but there is a tool to "Trim" and you can easily trim a totally silent bit so the resulting waveform is totally flat-line. I did these for each and every of the voice commands. Then export the resulting file to the Nuvi and select it on the device.
Hey-presto - I can now follow a route with no voice commands, but I still get the audible safety camera alerts. Just as I wanted.
howardc64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Silent Voice Reply with quote

steve999gps wrote:
In the tool, for each of the voice prompts, I imported a small, silent WAV file I found called silent-burst.wav. Even that showed some residual noise in the waveform dispaly, but there is a tool to "Trim" and you can easily trim a totally silent bit so the resulting waveform is totally flat-line. I did these for each and every of the voice commands. Then export the resulting file to the Nuvi and select it on the device.
Hey-presto - I can now follow a route with no voice commands, but I still get the audible safety camera alerts. Just as I wanted.

Just did this myself for Nuvi 1450 following this direction with silent-burst.wav and trim. While my voices are silent... there is light chirping sound here and there while navigating. I've also downloaded other silent vpm file and all have some noises. Anyone else encounter this?
ballynafoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Silent Voice Reply with quote

steve999gps wrote:

Please, please send me a copy of the silent voice!! Mike in UK.

(mike-is@sky.com)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: