Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom Go5100 vs Go 820
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom Go5100 vs Go 820

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gardner1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: tomtom Go5100 vs Go 820 Reply with quote

Was having a fiddle on with a new go 5100....and was amazed how many features are missing compared to my Go 820

No way of manually changing route when tapping on traffic delay on side bar...on my 820 I just tap on bar and have option of minimalize / avoid delay but have to wait till 5100 offers alternative route

no weather/TripAdvisor
no Bluetooth
no way of doing map corrections
no way of changing keyboard to ABCD instead of qwerty
the colours and maps look washed out and cheap
and loads of other things missing

it may come with lifetime world maps and traffic but at a price
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. I bought one yesterday!!! Haven't used it yet, but I'm already dismayed that it doesn't work like all my previous TTs (tap screen, select some button and away you go). So I have to struggle instead of just getting in the vehicle and going. How many TT users have been using the screen tap startup method for how many years? (I for one, for more than the last TEN years!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gardner1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't take what I say as gospel someone might correct me on some things but I am sure there is no way to reroute yourself or make map corrections
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Dennis (and anyone else)..

A link to the 5100 reference guide:

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/GO_5000/index.htm
gardner1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected... nice to see you can do map changes but still no way of rerouting around traffic yourself ie still have to wait for the sat nav to do it
gardner1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also on my go 820 if you knew there was a blocked road/accident coming up you would press avoid button and have following options 100yds 1/4 1/2 mile etc
on 5100 press avoid road block and there is no more options
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link David. Would you believe Wink I had already found it and have it loaded on my laptop to have a proper learning session.

phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got a 5100 as well. I reluctantly ditched my 540 Live a couple of years ago due to the ridiculous annual fees to keep it going and switched to Garmin. I found the Garmin ok at best with inconsistent traffic accuracy (digital traffic) and inferior routing. Shame as it was nice to use and very responsive otherwise.
The 5100 was initially a nightmare to connect to my PC and update - that may have been due to my Windows 10 setup, however it did work in the end after persevering. In use I actually love the 5100 so far and feel that there is nothing that I need to do that I can't. The interface took some getting used to but is fine for me now. It feels fast and positive and the traffic loads noticeably quicker than my old 540. The routing display is also nice and clear and I like the way time and distance alternate on the screen - definitely an improvement over the 540 as far as I'm concerned. I appreciate that many people miss proper POI integration, but this is not something I have used in the past. I will miss the PGPSWorld speed cameras but I like the fact that the TT one update without any intervention - not as accurate maybe, however fine for a casual user such as myself. Lack of bluetooth is also not a problem as my car has hands free anyway. Also I love being able to plan journeys in advance on my phone/tablet when often the Sat Nav is in my car.
I realise that many people feel this is an inferior product to the older ranges, but for me this isn't the case and TT do seem to be constantly improving it with their updates so for me this is definitely a keeper.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillevy wrote:
I will miss the PGPSWorld speed cameras but I like the fact that the TT one update without any intervention - not as accurate maybe, however fine for a casual user such as myself.

If you have a smart phone (Android or iPhone) you could always use the CamerAlert app which is easy to update and much more accurate that TomTom, especially for mobiles and SPECS.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this has got to be some sort of record! Halfway to Birmingham and it died - I stopped for fuel with it working and when I got in to drive on, it wouldn't start again. Four days and it's dead. Not nice when my knowledge of Birmingham is limited to knowing it's north of Bristol and south of Derby! GRRRR!

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely you used one of the other 4 or 5 that you have in your van at any one tome Dennis.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I used the other two, but the built in one is often unreliable, losing satellite fix. It gets quite frightening when it starts to replan and instruct navigation from a couple of blocks away. Plus I am currently once again struggling to install the map which I bought yesterday (£55 for UK&ROI) - as usual, first it corrupts the SD card and says No Maps, then it needs syncing, by choosing the correct map to download - tick the correct box from this list... Shocked

Then wait for an hour or so for it to download to the SD card, then take it out to the van and insert it, then wait (with the engine running!) for another hour or so for it to install in the van (you don't wait, you drive off and let it load en route) - but you don't know which map has downloaded until you check afterwards. Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: