Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Getting Garmin Nuvi 40 Voice Alerts to work?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Garmin Nuvi 40 Voice Alerts to work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:

What you've got is the over-speed warning quite some way from the camera so may be influencing numerous warnings.

My settings on CSV - GPX are shown in this jpg image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgzvlihmwmlqh0q/Converter%20JPG.jpg?dl=0
Perhaps if I tried just having the .wav file loaded and cut out the Overspeed.gpx file. I set it so the over-speed warning came before the camera one, as can be seen in the jpg image from dropbox. Rolling Eyes
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not surprising that you are getting lots of alerts. For starters you have an overspeed warning set at 15 seconds and the main alert set at 10 seconds. Why? Surely, if you want an overspeed alert at all, it is to alert you to the fact that you are still going too fast after the main alert. Have you read the help file? If you don't want the overspeed at all, set the overspeed column to zero like what it says in the help file. (Well, I think that's right)
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still odd though.

There are a couple of 30mph cameras near Slough I used for testing the overspeed.

I have mine set to 14 seconds warning and 5 seconds overspeed. When I did 30 or slightly over I got the main warning and a single overspeed. 28mph I only got the single approach. The single warning was because with the time it had left I was past the camera. I reckon 10 seconds would produce 2 warnings if it considered I was speeding.

Technically there is nothing wrong with having a long overspeed warning but you are in the hands of the Garmin AI.

Problem with long overspeed distances is that there is loads of time for it to bang out multiple overspeeds.

With regard to the warning itself I used an online tool I found to create the overspeed.wav. If you want another warning then record or construct your own.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Well, it's not surprising that you are getting lots of alerts. For starters you have an overspeed warning set at 15 seconds and the main alert set at 10 seconds. Why? Surely, if you want an overspeed alert at all, it is to alert you to the fact that you are still going too fast after the main alert. Have you read the help file? If you don't want the overspeed at all, set the overspeed column to zero like what it says in the help file. (Well, I think that's right)

I have read the help file, hence the reason I knew how to change it...Rolling Eyes
I realise there is a 15 & 10 seconds difference, the reason I set it that way was, I wanted to know I was overspeeding before getting in sight of the possible 'mobile camera' target area. The overspeed warning takes around 4 seconds to complete, which then gives me 1 second prior to the speed camera warning. Laughing
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Still odd though.
I have mine set to 14 seconds warning and 5 seconds overspeed. When I did 30 or slightly over I got the main warning and a single overspeed. 28mph I only got the single approach. The single warning was because with the time it had left I was past the camera. I reckon 10 seconds would produce 2 warnings if it considered I was speeding.

Technically there is nothing wrong with having a long overspeed warning but you are in the hands of the Garmin AI.

Problem with long overspeed distances is that there is loads of time for it to bang out multiple overspeeds.

Thanks Kremmen.
Think what I may try is a 15 seconds warning and 6 seconds overspeed, which in theory, would give 5 seconds after the start of the o/s warning before hitting the camera spot...
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago I had a Talex, remember them, and I knew exactly on a frequently travelled road where their approach and overspeed used to kick in and I found their warning times perfect.

I just timed the Garmin ones to mimic that unit.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kremmen,
I have just installed the latest version of csv - gpx program, works well. Tell me; when downloading this week's speed cam database, I get a Pmobile_55 .csv file in it, which csv - gpx obviously does not accept. Is that a database problem? Thanks.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a rogue introduced accidentally by the DB admin. It is actually located north of Belfast.
A temp fix until it gets sorted at 'their end', delete its .CSV from your working folder CSV files before processing.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a list of tweaks/fixes to perform this week (Both Converter programs) and this is one of them. Not sure what the fix is yet but it's on the list.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
I have a list of tweaks/fixes to perform this week (Both Converter programs) and this is one of them. Not sure what the fix is yet but it's on the list.

Thank you: I have noticed of late, that I keep getting double warnings of some mobile cams, even though 'adjacent' is set for removed. Is this also a DB problem? Incidentally, I did delete the spurious _55 file. Thanks.... Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most recent changes was include mobile cameras that had previously been ignored.

These were mobiles that had no speed reported. Without a speed the program could not calculate the proximity when to produce the warning. If you opt to include the unverified ones then you will now see them (previous bug ignored the unverified tick box option) and they will be tagged with a default 60mph but the tag is removed from the warning banner after the 60mph proximity has been set.

If you can watch the warning banner and report whether it is the same camera with an overspeed or 2 separate cameras.

Don't take your eyes off the road for this but remember where you are and perform a simulated run from the armchair.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:

Thanks Kremmen: When you say 'Both Converter' programmes, what both are you referring to? Also, if possible, a link to the thread where they are could be useful to enable a bookmark to be set... Laughing
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are in the Garmin area.

One is the CSV Converter and the other is the Direction Converter which is under a post by Dales.

I'm only on a phone so links are awkward.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: