Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom Go 510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom Go 510

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: New TomTom Go 510 Reply with quote

Hi, does anyone know if the latest version of the Tomtom Go 510 will work with the PGPSW database?

The video and the data sheets look nothing at all like the screen sots on my new 510.

When it is plugged into the PC, it oes not appear as a new drive etc. but it is seen by the MyDrive program and there does not seem anyway of getting access to the stored files in it or its Micro SD card?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct. The new devices appear as network adapters in 'My Computer' on your computer. The user has no access to the file system on the new devices. You need MyDriveConnect with that model. Get it at tomtom.com/getstarted.

You can add custom pois (one at a time) using MyDrive but no associated .bmps or custom sounds. Further they don't appear on the map but you can search for them.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is correct. The new devices appear as network adapters in 'My Computer' on your computer. The user has no access to the file system on the new devices. You need MyDriveConnect with that model. Get it at tomtom.com/getstarted.

You can add custom pois (one at a time) using MyDrive but no associated .bmps or custom sounds. Further they don't appear on the map but you can search for them.

Oh I see, I have my 510 connected to my PC but it does not appear in "My Computer" either as a external USB device or a Network device, nothing appears but it does automatically start up the MyDriveConnect programme. I can download and extract the database from the site and add them to the "My Places" on the 510 and that's that.

They do not install, but as you say I can search for them, so if that is all I can do, and they aren't visible on the maps or no audible warning is given, what use the PGPSW database to me, zero?

I re-joined the community last night on the strength of the info given on the database compatibility chart, and it already looks like I have wasted my money so I'm stuck with Tom Toms own lifetime speed camera service after all then?
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: 510 and PGPSW database Reply with quote

David,

I just had a thought, I checked in "Control Panel" and then in "Device Manager" and "Network Adaptors" and sure enough TomTom appears there and as you said, the user does not appear to have any access to the system files at all other then the user added ones in "My Places" and the only way to input data there is either through the device itself or via their "MyDriveConnect" programme, one at a time, which is of no use to a large database of speed cameras.

So in essence, it would seem that TomTom have gone out of their way to prevent the use of third party databases, so you have no option but to purchase their own offering?

Graham

Last edited by specmaster on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 510 and PGPSW database Reply with quote

specmaster wrote:
So in essence, it would seem that TomTom have gone out of their way to prevent the use of third party databases, so you have no option but to purchase their own offering?
That's about the size of it.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as the OP says, reading the compatibility guide, the GO 510 is supported.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the GO510 circa 2008 then that will probably work as that was before TT removed POI warnings via OV2 and related OGG and BMP.

If this is a newer GO510 that can only be updated via MyDrive then the answer will likely be as above.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the OP says in his first post that this is the latest version of the GO 510, it looks like the compatibility guide needs updating.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
Since the OP says in his first post that this is the latest version of the GO 510, it looks like the compatibility guide needs updating.

Blame TomTom for the confusion of reusing old model numbers. It's not just the PGPSW compatibility guide that's affected, it's accessories like cases, power leads, mounts, etc. Another brilliant idea from the company that apparently doesn't listen to its customers. Rolling Eyes
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If this is the GO510 circa 2008 then that will probably work as that was before TT removed POI warnings via OV2 and related OGG and BMP.

If this is a newer GO510 that can only be updated via MyDrive then the answer will likely be as above.

This is a brand new unit purchased from Halfords this weekend since I was under the impression that the PGPSW excellent database was indeed compatible with it, how wrong was I?

Everything has to done via MyDrive so it looks almost certain that I was fooled by the fact that they chose to stick with an old model number rather then update it.

To be fair though it does come with a lifetime of camera updates, but one thing it does do is get on your nerves with the 3 dongs each time a camera is approached and then it doesn't tell you what the speed limit is at that location. Fine if your local, but then you don't need the warning if your local, its when you in a strange location that you need the warnings.

At the moment I'm trying out the Android app on my phone to see if that is a better solution for me.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a better solution if you want to run PGPSW Very Happy
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

specmaster wrote:
To be fair though it does come with a lifetime of camera updates

Those are TomTom's own camera updates which are worthless as they hardly show any mobile locations.

specmaster wrote:
, but one thing it does do is get on your nerves with the 3 dongs each time a camera is approached and then it doesn't tell you what the speed limit is at that location. Fine if your local, but then you don't need the warning if your local, its when you in a strange location that you need the warnings.

What's the point of a warning system if it doesn't tell you the speed limit of the location?

specmaster wrote:
At the moment I'm trying out the Android app on my phone to see if that is a better solution for me.

If you mean PGPSW's CamerAlert then hopefully you won't be disappointed. An excellent database coupled with a decent warning APP especially in SPECS zones! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: