Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Getting Garmin Nuvi 40 Voice Alerts to work?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Garmin Nuvi 40 Voice Alerts to work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
That area would be fine as it's read/write but I think a new folder in there is favourite.
That's what I said. Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what happens when I speed read Embarassed
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Kremmen wrote:
That area would be fine as it's read/write but I think a new folder in there is favourite.
That's what I said. Very Happy

Kremmen wrote:
That's what happens when I speed read Embarassed

Anyway, calm down you two...
Laughing I took the Garmin for a local full test run today and I have the latest Speed Cams and......Voices to boot....Thank you all, I look forward to the sticky.
For the record, I had Speed Cam and voice narratives in one folder on drive (D).
SOX was in drive D before unzipping, when unzipped it went into Programme files/POILoder (same file as Sox.exe is in). I think what I didn't expect to see was 32 items in the Garmin Personal POI file on the Garmin Device instead of the 98 items which I think were uploaded. Perhaps it only shows the last 32 items uploaded. Where exactly do they reside, it was so much easier with my TT One series; just paste the whole Speed Cam file into maps, and then link the voice file to a particular speed cam from the set. Again, thanks, hope I have not started a row.... Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you should end up with is a single .gpi file after POIloader has done its business.

In your d:\ drive should be the many filesets like

Gatso50.csv
Gatso50.wav
Gatso50.bmp

You will have lots of these triple filesets for each camera type Gatso, Mobile, Specs and Redlight covering all the speed ranges but as I said the whole lot should be on the device as a single .gpi file.

Most Garmins have a GPS simulator mode so you don't need to go out to test the cameras work as expected.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscargrouch wrote:
I think what I didn't expect to see was 32 items in the Garmin Personal POI file on the Garmin Device instead of the 98 items which I think were uploaded. Perhaps it only shows the last 32 items uploaded. Where exactly do they reside

The Garmin will only list the cameras that you have loaded. The associated .bmp's and .wav's are not listed, although they are amongst the item count of items you have loaded.
POILoader forms all this data into a .gpi file, which resides in the Garmin's internal memory (or on the SD card, as in my case).

Dales.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscargrouch wrote:
hope I have not started a row.
Rest assured. You haven't. Just a bit of friendly banter. Very Happy

@Kremmen. Where's his 32 files coming from in his Garmin Personal POI coming from? Where should the single .gpx file be and what should it be called. (Lack of Garmin experience shining through and mine is in the car and I can't be assed to go and get it to find out) Confused
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
What you should end up with is a single .gpi file after POIloader has done its business.

In your d:\ drive should be the many filesets like

Gatso50.csv
Gatso50.wav
Gatso50.bmp

You will have lots of these triple filesets for each camera type Gatso, Mobile, Specs and Redlight covering all the speed ranges but as I said the whole lot should be on the device as a single .gpi file.

Most Garmins have a GPS simulator mode so you don't need to go out to test the cameras work as expected.

Sorry, I don't understand any of that. Where and how can I view the .gpi fie on the device?.. Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I'm getting confused with the files layout being reported.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The procedure is HERE as linked to by Cremmen earlier. There are a couple of bits in his write up that refer to a special program that he has written. These ar the screendumps with the big green areas.
Quote:
Once saved the zip will need to be extracted. Using my program I now only need to extract the camera files because I already have a set of BMP and WAV files in place in the working directory:
You need to unzip the PGPSW files using a different program if you are not using Kremmen's program.
The file list produced in your working directory should resemble those in the green area of Kremmen's screendump. Then follow the instructions for POILoader. The location of the .GPI file is wherever you put it from POILoader. In Kremmen's example he has put it onto his Garmin and his last screendump shows the Explorer view of his Garmin with the PGPSW.GPI file located in {devicename}\InternalStorage\POI (where {devicename} is the name of YOUR device.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, the vast majority of the procedure is covered including a link to SOX and how to use POILoader.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Good point, the vast majority of the procedure is covered including a link to SOX and how to use POILoader.

Many thanks Kremmen for all the work that both you & your colleague WalkerX must have put in to the CSV Converter. I have just updated my SatNav to the Nuvi 2589LM; well pleased. Did not use your Converter but will do for next update. Got away with using SOX in POILoader. All Cams & .WAV files working. Thanks also to M8TJT for his valuable input. Would never have worked it out without all of your help... Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted. That latest converter program is still in beta so let me know any issues. There are so many combinations now I've not tested them all.

This weeks task is to try and merge parts of "Redlight camera" and "variable speed" to try and achieve "RedSpeed" in the new wav file set.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Glad you got it sorted. That latest converter program is still in beta so let me know any issues. There are so many combinations now I've not tested them all.

This weeks task is to try and merge parts of "Redlight camera" and "variable speed" to try and achieve "RedSpeed" in the new wav file set.

Used your Garmin Converter yesterday, it works fine; I did not alter your distance settings, POI Loader accepted the files okay. Tell me, when I download this weeks updates, I take it that all I need to download is the Cams and the .BMP files as the voices are already installed? And, last question: I have inserted a 16 Gb micro card into the Satnav, does the Garmin automatically use it if it runs out of its own memory? Thanks in advance.... Question
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are happy with the voices and icons on your Garmin then in the program dropdown just extract the camera files (top of the three options)

FYI I have updated the icons and sound files in the latest zip package. There is also an updated .htm helpfile that includes the new RedSpeed separator.

The new icons (44x44) include a new RedSpeed icon and the new voices include new RedSpeed warnings.

If you are already running the version with the RedSpeed option then just unzip the latest package and copy the new bmp and/or wav files to your 'working directory'. No need to reinstall.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscargrouch wrote:
And, last question: I have inserted a 16 Gb micro card into the Satnav, does the Garmin automatically use it if it runs out of its own memory? Thanks in advance.... Question

No, to use the sd card you, or a program like Express or Basecamp, needs to install data onto it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: