Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2598 - unreliable fastest routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2598 - unreliable fastest routing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I find that as long as you don't do a simple Where to and then Go it's best to use the Trip App and look at the 3 routes on offer. You can then choose which one you prefer.

Thanks for confirming that "fastest route" on your Garmin does not give you what hou want either! I almost believed that it was just me.
Clearly Garmin routing algorithms have lost their way over the years. Laughing
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found SatNavs to be a tool to get you to your destination, eventually.

My original chunky TT1 from years and years ago did quite a good job of giving me a route from Heathrow to Malvern in 104 miles using almost the route I knew was the best. It did have a quirk of often trying to take me off a motorway for a single junction because an an A road was slightly shorter. You just got used to it and ignored it.

My built in Alpine unit used to take me round all the motorways and add 30 miles to the journey even though I'd asked for the shortest route. Once I'd turned off the M40 and aimed for the Oxford by-pass it recalculated and reduced both the distance and time so clearly an error in it's initial attempt.

The latest Alpine unit is lots better and is almost spot on so I've never used the Garmin for routeing.

From what I read here I think the frequent advice from sussamb is best, if you know the route and all you're looking for is an accurate traffic report then plot your route in basecamp, tweak it to suit, then load it in to the Garmin.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I find that as long as you don't do a simple Where to and then Go it's best to use the Trip App and look at the 3 routes on offer. You can then choose which one you prefer.

Yes and no. All three choices fall foul of minor roads' de-restricted speed limits, i.e. a max of 60 mph in theory but more like 20mph in practice, plus width restrictions and passing places.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its got worse!

In April we popped across to France and they had closed the Autoroute at Junction 31, the St Martin turnoff, heading down to Boulogne. Not a problem as that was where we were going.

Going there yesterday, it got us off at Junction 33 (two before). I assumed that the Autoroute was shut but then it got us back on it at the same junction.

This didn't happen before the last firmware and map update.

We also experienced the law of unintended consequences of P&O wanting a monopoly on the sea route!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
Its got worse!
Going there yesterday, it got us off at Junction 33 (two before). I assumed that the Autoroute was shut but then it got us back on it at the same junction.

That can occasionally happen if your satnav gets a slightly erroneous GPS fix and believes you're on the slip road when you're not. I've had it happen a few times, but over many years.

You can verify it's not a map/routing error by doing a simulation trip past the same junction, if it works correctly it was a GPS error.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it showed me that I would be exiting there as the the next instruction and then told me to take the exit well before we reached it. That's why I thought the Autoroute had been closed.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can't recreate that on my 2508 using 2016.10 so it was either a mad moment on your device or a left over traffic closure perhaps.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often found that if there is a motorway junction on a left hand bend and the slip roads cut the corner and are actually shorter then on a shortest route option it will often do that.

The only routeing tool I've never managed to fool is Microsoft's MapPoint. That seems to get it spot on every time.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not that on this occasion but it's an interesting theory, must say the two times it's happened to me that's not been the situation Smile but then I rarely run 'shortest route'
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is! Remember, I was driving on the right not the left and the road 'appears' to be shorter. However, this really only stated about a year ago after an update. I ran into this with a ViaMichelin I had after an update where it used to 'think' that coming off at junctions was the quickest route.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you running shortest route? If not it won't apply, and in any case it doesn't work that way at that junction either in Basecamp or my 2508. Looking at the junction, and the roundabouts, it doesn't look shorter in any case.

I've now tested it using 'shortest route' and it still doesn't select the slip road, so it comes back to either a blip in your unit or an incorrect traffic incident.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Were you running shortest route? If not it won't apply, and in any case it doesn't work that way at that junction either in Basecamp or my 2508. Looking at the junction, and the roundabouts, it doesn't look shorter in any case.

I've now tested it using 'shortest route' and it still doesn't select the slip road, so it comes back to either a blip in your unit or an incorrect traffic incident.

I am amazed how often it is our units that "have a blip". I have had the same issue of being directed off (the M25 in my case) and back on at the same junction on occasions - and NOT when the M25 has been congested.
I conclude that the Garmin algorithms ARE now unreliable. But if you use it as a guide then it still helps. It is just very sad that we can no longer rely on Fastest Route being fastest, or even nearly fastest.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With so many reports of this behaviour now being reported I wonder if Garmin are aware there is an issue?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:

I am amazed how often it is our units that "have a blip". I have had the same issue of being directed off (the M25 in my case) and back on at the same junction on occasions - and NOT when the M25 has been congested.

There can be a number of reasons for this.

I had a similar couple of moments many years ago, and have had none since on either my 1490 or 2508. If you can post the junction where it's happening I can do some checks.
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a memory of having a SatNav that had the ability for the user to set their most appropriate speed for each type of road, this technique enabled one to skew the resulting route to one's preferred type of route.

or

am I dreaming??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: