Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom beware before you buy.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom beware before you buy.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harpic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: TomTom beware before you buy. Reply with quote

In March this year I paid thick end of £300 for a new TomTom Go 5000,
With full European Mapping, Speed Cameras, with life time map updates.
After only 3 months I can no longer update the maps on the device as there is insufficient space.
I contacted TomTom support, they got me to do a total reset of the system. and then reload the maps.

This I did resulting in me being able to load all the maps.
However
According to My Drive (the TomTom sync package)
Full Eoropean Maps 6272 MB
Premium Speed Cameras 3 MB
Total 7044 MB used 11 MB free
I am assuming the other memory usage is operating system.

I have only 16 entries in My Places, so that is not the problem.

I reported this back to TomTom as any update greater than 11MB would need me to go through this procedure again.
TomTom customer care said - "It seems your device does not have enough free memory to do updates you can buy a Micro SD card".

It seems TomTom deliberately sell devices with insufficient memory to perform the function for which they were bought.

I would suggest that renders them as "Not of merhantable quality"
Also it would seem that TomTom Customer Care DO NOT Care.

The price you pay for the device is not the end of the story, you will certainly need an micro SD card
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin are also quite short on space and a SD card is often required for newer larger map updates.

Considering the cost of memory these days a spare internal Gb or 2 wouldn't go amiss.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Kremmen says, with the price of memory these days, it would cost them hardly any more (economy of scale, etc) to put in more memory and future proof their product.
BUT THEN DO they WANT to future proof it?
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I upgraded my map on my GO6000 a few days ago, I was given the option of only installing the 3D buildings for the UK and Ireland, not the rest of Europe. This has released several MB
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 16GB card in mine and the latest update installed the map to this, leaving me with plenty of space on the internal unit.
Harpic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: TomTom beware before you buy. Reply with quote

Checking the TomTom forums, this is a very common issue, with 5000 and 6000 series, TomTom claim to have been working on a solution for over a month.

on 10th July my complaint was referred to TomTom 2nd line Team, Product Management and marketting Team.

buying a memory card is sometimes a workaround for the problem, but it dies not alter the fact they are selling something that cannot fulfil the spec as claimed in the publicity for the device.
dave2951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just purchased the 6001 and as I always do before making use of it i connect it to in this case My Drive to update the software. This was then my fault for taking it granted this would be simple with Tomtom. One of the updates was the 3d Europe map which is a massive 5431MB. I ticked to update and my original map on the device was deleted and My Drive indicated downloading to computer 36 hours. ( I only have poor internet where i live). For the next 24 hours I attempted to download the map with no joy due to connection crashes which then cause the software to think the download is completed and attempts to update the device.
There is no way I can download such large files and i am a little disappointed I am expected to do this with a new device. I took mine back to Halfords and told them either give me a new one or my money back, they kindly agreed to replace and so I then unchecked this update and so have a brand new device with out of date maps.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Garmin maps size is similar.

The only advantage with Garmin is you can download to your PC first and only update the device when it's fully complete and verified.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
dave2951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another point if anybody can answer I have a Transcend 16gb micro SDHC class 10 card will this fit the 6001 as I have tried gently to put it in the slot i think where it goes with no joy.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably you have tried it 'the other way round'. It's usually pretty obvious if they aren't going to fit and they normally go in pretty easily.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom beware before you buy. Reply with quote

Harpic wrote:
In March this year I paid thick end of £300 for a new TomTom Go 5000,
With full European Mapping, Speed Cameras, with life time map updates.
After only 3 months I can no longer update the maps on the device as there is insufficient space.
I contacted TomTom support, they got me to do a total reset of the system. and then reload the maps.

This I did resulting in me being able to load all the maps.
However
According to My Drive (the TomTom sync package)
Full Eoropean Maps 6272 MB
Premium Speed Cameras 3 MB
Total 7044 MB used 11 MB free
I am assuming the other memory usage is operating system.

I have only 16 entries in My Places, so that is not the problem.

I reported this back to TomTom as any update greater than 11MB would need me to go through this procedure again.
TomTom customer care said - "It seems your device does not have enough free memory to do updates you can buy a Micro SD card".

It seems TomTom deliberately sell devices with insufficient memory to perform the function for which they were bought.

I would suggest that renders them as "Not of merhantable quality"
Also it would seem that TomTom Customer Care DO NOT Care.

The price you pay for the device is not the end of the story, you will certainly need an micro SD card
WELL!
Brand new sealed TomTom Go 5000 bought from Halfords yesterday.
Installed TomTom MyDrive on my PC, updated the TomTOm with the maps and traffic and cameras.
It took OVER TWO HOURS Mad , and I have BT Infinity fibre broadband which is fast

10 MB free space left. Surprised

I looked at the TomTom forums and their are a few grumbles, so I came on here to see if an independant forum had the same issues. It seems we do.

The Go 5000 only has 8GB total memory! The Go 5100 which has World maps (not just UK, ROI and Europe) also only has 8GB memory on board, so how on earth does that fit it all on?

You apparently have to either take some countries off or buy an SD card. Quite how, I don't know. TomTom is NOT the place to buy them from if you value your wallet.

So much for their web site explanation:
"When you purchase a navigation device or smartphone app which includes Lifetime Maps, you can download 4 or more full updates of your map every year for the lifetime of your product. Lifetime Maps are available without additional charge and for as long as the product is supported.

The map updates are the full updates for the map that is preinstalled on your device or that is installed on your smartphone app. The geographical coverage and feature support in the map will continue to match the original version, as long as the original is commercially available. You will receive all available updates to the road network, addresses and Points of Interest in these releases."
[/i]

The TomTom forum is full of a particular user telling users to stop whinging and get over it as all satnav manufacturers do this. I've started looking for positive reviews of the TomTom and have posted an occasional comment along the lines of yours. It needs reviewers to notice this and report on it otherwise TT will keep on getting away with it.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
barryward67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: TT - Rip Off Reply with quote

Years ago I paid over £500 for the TT go 910 with wide screen and absolutely everything you could ask for included - FOR LIFE !

Imagine the bitter taste in my mouth when buying a more up to date unit (GO1000 Live) Not only can I not transfer the subscription, they want me to fork out over £50 P/A to update everything......

This was my THIRD and my LAST TT..... Mad

I could have even lived with paying for the new unit and the one time hit but I've had enough of the constant drain on finances to receive information on a device I've bought, without the info what is it?

A £3 plastic nothing Evil or Very Mad

To cap it off - if you want a camera alert - for gods sake don't have the radio on or a cd playing - they're barely audible with just tyre noise on the M/way

One customer lost TT I'm afraid....
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TT - Rip Off Reply with quote

barryward67 wrote:
Years ago I paid over £500 for the TT go 910 with wide screen and absolutely everything you could ask for included - FOR LIFE !

Imagine the bitter taste in my mouth when buying a more up to date unit (GO1000 Live) Not only can I not transfer the subscription, they want me to fork out over £50 P/A to update everything......

This was my THIRD and my LAST TT..... Mad

I could have even lived with paying for the new unit and the one time hit but I've had enough of the constant drain on finances to receive information on a device I've bought, without the info what is it?

A £3 plastic nothing Evil or Very Mad

To cap it off - if you want a camera alert - for gods sake don't have the radio on or a cd playing - they're barely audible with just tyre noise on the M/way

One customer lost TT I'm afraid....
But the GO 1000 was 2010! It was a £250 device that had one year of updates. The 910 was a £500 2006 device with free updates for the lifetime of the device. I don't see the problem.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
barryward67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, but I can't articulate it any clearer than I have...

Great historical pricing memory though! Top Gun!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Times change

We don't want to pay more still for devices, that could come with more memory, fast processors, improved displays - yet complain when they cannot cope with all the maps

We complain that maps are not up to date, accurate and more data rich - yet complain with their map size increases

They offer us a cheap solution - a £10 memory card would put pretty much everything you would ever want on to the memory card (and the built in memory handles what MOST of their consumers want - and most never update their maps or devices anyway) and then we still complain

As a consumer I understand we want everything, for nothing, but also live in the real world when companies have to try and give us the best package they can, for a price we will stomach, and still try and turn a profit

I mean people are complaining paying a few pounds a year for the latest TT app with any map they produce in the world, anytime, with speed cameras and traffic - and then also complain the maps are too big

I would say to these people make your own!

Laughing
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: