Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - maps on microSD-is performance reduced?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

maps on microSD-is performance reduced?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenchy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: maps on microSD-is performance reduced? Reply with quote

Did my (extremely slow!) first out of the box map update on the 2599.
It detected I had a card and warned me that it would install maps and critical files to the microSD.
I clicked More Options rather than install, to see what those options were but it went straight into install anyway!!

A little over 5hours later all is well.
But I was wondering if there is a read speed performance hit with the maps on the card rather than internal memory?
I think my microSD is class 10 so it's reasonable.

Oh, and before I installed the maps, it said I had 7 updates available (including maps)
I installed 1 of the firmware ones, then once done it said I only had the maps needing updating???
Is that normal behaviour??
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, quite normal. Depending which of the update buttons you hit it installs the whole shooting match.

I've also wondered whether SD does have a slight performance hit. On my 2597 I downgraded to UK only so they would fit on the unit.

I really should put my 2597 in the sale section as it's just taking up room now.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My maps are on a card and there's no noticeable problem. Class really is immaterial as that indicates the write speed, and your nuvi is only reading from it when it's operating.

Five hours is a long time, generally I can update my EU maps in around an hour. Possibly your ISP throttling the download.
fruit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Five hours is a long time, generally I can update my EU maps in around an hour. Possibly your ISP throttling the download.

Mine take about that long too on average. I very much doubt my ISP is throttling anything.

I have a recollection that the internal interface to the SD card runs at a slow (USB 1) speed so the actual transfer to a card takes a long time.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the transfer can be slow but the initial download is to the PC, even so something isn't quite right if it's taking 5 hours.
fruit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial download often stops completely then resumes a number of times here which increases the time considerably.

Of course once downloaded the performance of the PC affects building maps - then the slow transfer to card if in the device.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was ADSL2+ my download and install was typically 3 hours. Now I'm fibre it's one hour.

I can see some first generation ADSL connections hitting 5 hours as it is a 3Gb+ download.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
tenchy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my download it said was 7-8 gig!
My broadband is pretty rubbish, 3-4mb download speed if the wind is blowing in right direction.
When it first started, it went up to 8 hours predicted, and stayed at 7 for some time too.

When it said lifetime maps, I didn't realise it meant my lifetime waiting for them to download! Smile

I did click the more options button, hoping to have some choice oever what to do, but it just went straight into the full geronimo do it all.

But concerned about the bit before it went for it that mentioned critical files would be installed to the card, and my unit would not work without the card fitted?
Sounds a bit daft to me? I would keep system files in the system!

Reading the map update threads, does it not replace the original map files with the new ones? Surely if it sold as lifetime maps, it should have enough storage space for at least the updates...
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin GPS are really no different to phones and cameras these days. All need cards to perform properly .... My camera would only take 3 photos without a card!

As for critical files, it's just map files not system files. The point about not uninstalling map files from the internal memory is that should you lose the card at least you can still navigate, albeit on an older map.
tenchy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Garmin GPS are really no different to phones and cameras these days. All need cards to perform properly .... My camera would only take 3 photos without a card!

As for critical files, it's just map files not system files. The point about not uninstalling map files from the internal memory is that should you lose the card at least you can still navigate, albeit on an older map.

Ok that sounds logical and reasoned.
Presumably the next update will overwrite the card?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it should ...

I say should because some folks install maps onto their cards using different methods which may result in them having names that Express isn't expecting. In that case manual intervention is necessary.

I for example always update to a clone device and then manually copy files across. That way should something go wrong in the update process to my clone my nuvi is unaffected Wink
tenchy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I for example always update to a clone device and then manually copy files across. That way should something go wrong in the update process to my clone my nuvi is unaffected Wink

I like the sound of that. How does one do that?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create a folder named Garmin on a sd card or usb stick. Copy GarminDevice.xml from the Garmin folder on your nuvi to the Garmin folder on the card/stick. Then Express will see it as your device.
tenchy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Create a folder named Garmin on a sd card or usb stick. Copy GarminDevice.xml from the Garmin folder on your nuvi to the Garmin folder on the card/stick. Then Express will see it as your device.

Nice one thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: