Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CN EU 2016.10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CN EU 2016.10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kremmen
I looked at USB settings and selective suspend was enabled. Now disabled as only really of use with a laptop or other portable device.

I have also looked back at history of map updates and seen that 5 years ago 2011.10 came out in April! Failing memory - but my point about dubious marketing practice still stands IMHO. 2016.10 will be largely based on 2014 data, as folks will probably testify when they complain that the by-pass thathas been there since last summer is not on 2016.10!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:

And what the hell has the tax year got to do with it? That is a dubious attempt at justification of what appears to be just a marketing deception.

Well hardly. Where is the deception? You get the 'up to 4 map updates a year' as promised by Garmin. What they call them is surely immaterial, could be egg and chips for all that matters Wink

inspiredron wrote:
No it was not my ISP or my PC.

Seems like it was if your USB ports were set to go to sleep, it's often a cause of problems.

Anyway, glad you've managed to update at last.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiredron wrote:
I have also looked back at history of map updates and seen that 5 years ago 2011.10 came out in April! Failing memory - but my point about dubious marketing practice still stands IMHO. 2016.10 will be largely based on 2014 data, as folks will probably testify when they complain that the by-pass thathas been there since last summer is not on 2016.10!

I don't think its dubious marking because its not used in their marketing. They promise 4 updates per year, and deliver these

I agree that it may help clarify when the map data was updated if they named it so (like Mio-Navman Maps), but in essence its their latest release who thats that!

Currently all the mapping providers use back dated data on current map releases, because they have to be processed and checked. Although TomTom is working towards almost live (daily) updates coming to their mapping and units
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested the following sizes relate to the 2015.40 and recent 2016.10 map files (full Europe coverage)

Gmapprom.img - 3,792,320
gmap3d.img - 808,688
JCV - 388,383

Gmapprom.i,g - 3,810,432 (much smaller increase than normal)
gmap3d.img - 817.888 (shame Garmin aren't using this on the nuviCam)
JCV - 390,130
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A notification, telling me that 2016.10 is available for my Nuvi 760, has just popped up on my computer screen and I am downloading at present.

Recently updates for City Navigator NT has only been happening twice a year, so this seems to be out of sequence, and a month after 2016.10 NTU was released.

Anyone know why this has happened?
(As I only use this unit as a backup, I have not run it "live" in a while and, so, don't know if there was an issue with 2015.40 NT)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. Why it's happening I have no idea as I wasn't expecting it either!
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: failure on 2016.10 update - lost maps !! Reply with quote

Tried to do the update on my 1440T yesterday - and Garmin Express 4.0.24.0 is reporting:

"You're up to date" Software version 6.20 Full coverage of Europe 2016.10 - however, in reality, my sat-nav is reporting:

"No detailed maps found....." and when I hit "Ready to navigate" my home is in the middle of nowhere, and although all favourites (that I have checked) show the locations etc. when I try to navigate to them the instructions are sparse to say the least!!

The "Detailed maps" piece is completely empty, apart from a copyright symbol, and this is after it took about 5 hours to take everything away!!

Anyone else have this problem at all ?

Allan
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: failure on 2016.10 update - lost maps !! Reply with quote

Post duplicated - wiped text, but no idea how to delete completely!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's shown in Tools, Settings, Map, Map Info? Anything? If the map has downloaded it should be there, if it's there is it ticked?

If it's not there did you do a safe eject? If not then you may have corrupted the file download by disconnecting too early. You'll need to run Express again (update it first as the latest is now v4.1.3)

Shouldn't take so long this time as the map files will be on your PC.

Note if Express says your maps are up to date just select MapOptions and choose the reinstall option.
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sussamb

Firstly I checked to see if there were any updates on Garmin Express, and it came back with nothing - then I followed normal procedures, and at the end it said that two updates needed to be applied - one was world time zone and the I cannot remember now, but both small files. So, again, I followed procedures.

At the end I only disconnected when all complete, and only when safe to do so - I have now found that when I go straight to Garmin to check on GE it comes up with the latest version (!!), which I have downloaded on to a gash Netbook.

I am now in the process of updating via another pc in case of any further problems, and it came back with 1.5 hours to update, whereas yesterday it said 3 hours and took more than 5 !!

Will advise later if successful - tried just before replying on GE to update, and still nothing on "Check for updates to Express" !!

update: whilst in the process of updating on the other pc it came up with the message that it had failed as not connected - this is despite it showing up in "Computer" !

cheers

Allan
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your USB sleep settings in device manager as they have caused previous related issues.

Make sure you get the USB bongs and the Garmin screen changes to a picture of a tower unit.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Check your USB sleep settings in device manager as they have caused previous related issues.

Make sure you get the USB bongs and the Garmin screen changes to a picture of a tower unit.

Hi Kremmen

Thanks for your advice - I can assure you that I got the USB bongs, and also the picture of a tower unit appeared.

I have now updated successfully to 2016.10 using another pc, after updating it to GE v4.13 first.

The only way that I could get GE to update on this pc was to go direct to Garmin, and do a fresh download - then it showed up successfully with all my unit details on the new version. But as to why it wouldn't update when I tried to update it manually from within GE I have no idea.

Although the maps are now working on all favourites I select I now have something else !!

On the screen a swirl of little dots is appearing around my home location, as if searching for the satellites, and the road out and inbound from my house show these little dots overload over the streets. When I use the browse screen it also shows them going off screen, with one going to the last place I used last Friday.

Any clues at all ?!

cheers

Allan
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the breadcrumbs that can be turned off. I agree, they can be a pain when they build up.

Can't remember off hand where that setting is and my unit is not to hand
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
They are the breadcrumbs that can be turned off. I agree, they can be a pain when they build up.

Can't remember off hand where that setting is and my unit is not to hand

Thanks - probably somewhere in the internal settings, but I bet they are not listed under "breadcrumbs" !!

Hopefully somebody will come on board and tell me how to get rid of them.

cheers

Allan
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in Settings, Map and Vehicle, Map layers, triplog

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: