Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 600 PGPSW Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 600 PGPSW Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: TomTom 600 PGPSW Database Reply with quote

Hi All,

Can you install the PGPSW Speed Camera database on the new TT600? I read on a review that 3rd party POI's could not be installed?

Any advice appreciated, as I am thinking of buying one, if you cannot install the PGPSW Database that is a deal breaker for me.

SDM197
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed. No 3rd party POI's allowed as yet.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But promised "for the future"....
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,

I will wait for the "Future" to arrive, then I will buy one.

SDM197.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will ensure that you are future proofed Very Happy
Nodwons
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Really wish I read this thread before buying TT GO600. Crying or Very sad

I just did not consider that a supposed higher grade TT would not have the ability to load the PGPSW database or any other community POI's for that matter.

Caution! Ther does not seem to be the facility to warn when near poi either. This is an essential aspect for the PGPSW database to be effective.

Is this just another case of TT releasing a new platform to market before it is really ready?

As an aside there seems to be no way to customise the map colours from the dreadful default ones...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nodwons wrote:

As an aside there seems to be no way to customise the map colours from the dreadful default ones...

Glad I'm not the only one who hates the (only) colour scheme.
JimboS69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: DeJa Vu !!!! Reply with quote

Found this article by Darren Griffin 30/9/2010 re Tomtom GO1000:

Quote:
...As we have reported previously, TomToms GO 1000 and their new XL replacement, the VIA, do not support the installation or use of third party POIs or POI.

This is understandably considered a major issue, many satnav owners use third party POI databases and it has always been a cornerstone of TomToms products that they support third party POIs. So it came as a shock to discover that their latest premium model range would not offer such support.

We had the opportunity to raise this issue directly when we spoke with Mark Gretton, TomToms CTO yesterday. He apologised for the problem arising and went on to re-assure us that TomTom continued to recognise the importance of third party POI data and more importantly, the value that supporting such services brought to their products.

He went on to explain that time pressures were to blame for the omission of POI support at launch. With the roll-out of the new platform and back end utilised by GO 1000 and VIA proving complex they had been forced to omit non-critical features. The good news is that Mark promised they would be returning sometime in 2011...

Looks like Tomtom have had to rush ANOTHER product to market without all the intended features and the very same one as above at that. How embarrassing for TT. Would be interesting to get Mark Gretton's comments as to why this has happended yet again ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jimbo...
At least last time TomTom had the excuse that the systems were not in place for the 'MyTomTom' utility to actually add the POIs to the unit either.

They don't have that excuse this time.

So one can only assume they were HOPING to get away with not implementing the POI functionality, and will only do so when enough people complain (or don't buy the units)!
beashley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a GO 6000expecting improvements to my ageing GO 940 but was sadly disappointed.
The maps and graphics were much better on the 6000, it's fast at updating the route if you suddenly duck down a side street to miss holdups ahead.

On the downside it can't be used for a hands free phone, you need to use your mobile for live traffic, itinerary planning and storage is quite laborious as the menu screen is not as quick and extensive.

Fortunately I was able to return without any penalty and advise a try before you buy if possible. A 6" GO 940 would suit me nicely, any suggestions?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: