Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice Alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithapollo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay; tried again but still no audible alerts, voice or chime.

First time approaching the GATSO at less that the speed limit I got a black banner with the permitted road speed displayed. Second time, approaching at just over the limit this banner changed to red. But definitely no audible alerts.

Not wishing to prolong this issue, I think I'll go back to just having the chime, (although it would've been nice to have a voice alert it's not essential).

So, thanks to everyone who tried to help.

All the best,
Keith
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame because the voice alerts are the icing. Do you get any POILoader error messages about not processing the wav files?

Sox in the same folder as poiloader and the correct wav file format. Either being wrong will generate an error message.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
keithapollo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it another try from the beginning as I guess things may be getting muddled with folders/files from my portable Garmin device.

(May be a while before I can try as not too many speed cameras where I am, but I will get back to let you know how I get on).

Cheers.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing is easy from your armchair. Set the unit to GPS simulation mode and plot a route past a camera you know.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
keithapollo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I should be able to test it from my armchair, but couldn't find the simulation mode on my device - it's not like my Gamin portable in respect of menu structure. And besides my living room is not big enough to get my Merc in !!

Anyway, after consulting the manual I found it and ran a simulation through two safety cameras. No voice or chime alerts I'm afraid. I did get turn-by-turn instructions and a visual warning of the safety camera, but that's all.

Before doing this I cleared out all related files on my laptop and went back to the beginning to download everything. I'm convinced I followed all the instructions regarding the POI loader and SOX, and running your CSV Converter against the Pocketgpsworld Db download. Can only think it's something to do with the Gamin SatNav being on an SD card?

But, thanks again for your advice.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly.

If the Cyclops GPI file worked OK then the POILoader one should as well. In theory all you are doing is swapping one for the other.

I forgot this is a car unit so my armchair suggestion is a tad difficult.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would persevere with a real-life test. Don't give up yet.

Most probably the simulator will never exceed the speed limit, and so if your device is one that does not warn below the limit, the simulator will not give you either your spoken or the chime alerts.

In my experience with SD cards on Garmin devices (but not built-in ones), the Garmin will read maps or warnings or POIs equally well from internal memory or the SD card.

Dales.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way to test if it's a unit restriction or the way the gpi file is being created is for you to have a pre built known good one.

If you can get site admin to approve it I could temporarily put a good gpi file on dropbox.

I would then only put the link in a PM.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
keithapollo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a real-life test as suggested by 'dales'. As I approached the camera I did get a chime plus a banner advising of speed. No voice though. I also went through a different camera and although the icon showed on the map I did not get any chime, voice or banner.

So with no joy I decided to completely retrace my steps from the beginning to recreate a new GPI file. In doing so I noticed that the file names displayed on the CSV Converter screen did not show mileages in words, but were numeric. (Must have missed it first time round). I therefore went back, choosing the option to unzip the files directly into the CSV converter and this worked, showing the speed in the file names as alpha. I completed the process, ran POILoader and created a new GPI file. Thinking this must be the cause of my problem I did a simulation, but only got a chime and banner warning; no voice. As 'dales' suggests, I probably need to do a real-life test on this file just to be sure, but I must say I'm not too optimistic.

Kremmen - Thanks for your suggestion, however I can't seem to find anywhere on this site to contact Site Admin to request permission? Also, I should point out that Cyclops isn't on the Mercedes Garmin SD card, so has never worked. I do have it on my old Gamin portable and had previously tried copying it to my SD card but it didn't work. As another poster has said, "for £20 it's not worth trying to get Cyclops to work". Hence me trying to get PocketGPSWorld's safety cameras to work.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using my app then when you have all the filenames correct then all 3 panels turn green. If one set have an error then that panel will turn pink.

The reason for changing say Gatso30 to 'gatsothirty' stops Garmin from overriding the speed setting in the gpx files.

Site admin is MaFt or Darren
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note to say Keith has been in contact and we have no issues with this.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

Keith doesn't have a dropbox account so this is on hold. I have noticed another post re Merc built in and spoken voices so I'm thinking it's a device restriction.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: