Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin real voice can be a real pain.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin real voice can be a real pain.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's adequate for you, but not the OP and I tend to agree with him.
iGO is still around and I use it as my primary nav source on my PNA with Sygic on my Android phone.
AuldMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks everybody for joining the debate.
My wish is simple. If the road has a road number use the number. That allows drivers to get in lane and drive safely.
Using street names is absolutely useless for main roads and junctions.
I accept that giving street names can be useful off the main roads, but where will the street name be? On the left, right, low, high or simply missing. Names are generally only visible when you are on the junction.

With the introduction of TTS (text to speech) the device can speak any text attached to the road so "Turn right onto Saskatchewan Boulevard" can impress people but not when you are trying follow the A123.

My old satnav would simply place the road number I was on now at the bottom of the screen and the road number I need after the junction at the top.

Latest satnavs have maps with a lot more text attached to roads and programmers/market analysts have decided to push the local information, road names, commercial enterprises, POI's etc. Both on the screen and by voice.
Please, if you too think it is safer to provide road numbers then join me and contact the device makers and push for :-

*** If the road has a road number then use it! ***
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Garmin try here http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

As I've posted, there is a switch towards more road numbers but if you feel the need you can contact Garmin on that link.

I've just returned from 3 days in the Peak District where my 2508 was even using B road numbers.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
iGO is still around and I use it as my primary nav source on my PNA with Sygic on my Android phone.

Great. I used to run a WinCE edition of IGO8 from an SD Card on my old Mio320 until hardware gave up after some 7 or 8 years. I used it in UK, the RoI, Tenerife, mainland Europe, Aus, Alaska and the Canadian Rockies. Definitely a terrific piece of software.

sussamb wrote:
For Garmin try here http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

As I've posted, there is a switch towards more road numbers but if you feel the need you can contact Garmin on that link.

Cheers - I've posted as suggested that SatNav's directions should align with signposts when approaching junctions - i.e. road number and major destination, such as "A55 Conwy".

Road names are fine in suburban areas but they're never shown on signposts at major intersections.
AuldMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile As we all can confirm:
It is possible to navigate using a satnav without road numbers.
It is possible to navigate just using the satnav diagram and no voices. I have a friend who does this.
It is possible to navigate using road numbers without satnav.
It is possible to navigate just with a road map. etc .etc
The point most of us trying to make is that when in a strange place it is better/safer/less stressful to navigate major roads when the road numbers are known. Satnavs being intentionally helpful should not fall short of the best possible solution. Possible is not good enough.

I agree totally with BigJohD that showing the same text as the signpost is even better. Note they always use road numbers if there is a road number!

My specific problem was that The Nuvi neither showed nor spoke any road numbers for several junctions, just because I was in an urban area with road names.
You cannot get into the correct lane before the junction/roundabout just using the diagram nor does take the 3rd exit guarantee you will use the correct lane. Further instructions on a busy roundabout if you have missed the correct lane, is dangerous.

sussamb: Thanks for the link. I posted my wish some days ago. I hope others will use the link too.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AuldMike wrote:
It is possible to navigate just with a road map. etc .etc

Off topic but I originally bought a satnav (a Mio Navman) to avoid the stress of having to drive while my wife navigated using the map. Back then all you got was turn right/turn left/take 3rd exit etc from satnavs. No road names OR numbers.

You can still have that but then came text to speech (TTS) voices ... enabling satnav manufacturers to convert detail held in the map database to speech. If it's a road name you'll hear the road name, if a number then the number.

In the Here (map supplier for Garmin) database more and more roads are getting numbers and names. I've often been told to turn left onto the A?? and then seen on the satnav the road also has a name. So I think manufacturers do realise that numbers are often preferable and are making the switch, how fast that will be or whether it will be universal I don't know. Indeed there are circumstances where the road name is preferable so I hope we don't get a blanket switch to numbers.

The new Garmin EU map is due out first week of March, so it'll be interesting to see how far down the route numbering road they've got.

In the meantime we should remember that a satnav, like a map, is an aid ... we can't expect it to be perfect for everyone.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roadside navigation boards always use road numbers so it makes sense for the SatNav to use road numbers if they are available.

In urban areas, especially as a stranger, I'd rather listen to the Nav than take my eyes off the road so if it tells me to follow the Axx road that I can tie in with an advance roadsign then that seems more logical.

I think the bottom line is that when navigating via an A or B road then it should announce that and leave the street names for side roads where applicable.

I'll dual run mine next week on my weekly run from Slough to Hayes which takes in all manner of road types.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
AuldMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Help
http://www.youtube.com/embed/UEIn8GJIg0E?rel=0
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Who needs traffic lights
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my run to Reading and back and I do agree with the OP. In Reading it did keep announcing the A33 as the road to follow but my end instead of announcing the A312 it was announcing "The Parkway".

Now I know it's "The Parkway" but a stranger wouldn't. I think if a road number is available then it should announce that as default.

Of course it announced all the side streets OK but they don't have road numbers.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
AuldMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Just returned from Barcelona where :-
Only major trunk roads had numbers. Road numbers were used on signs.
Road signs used district, place or point of interest.
Road signs did not use road names.
Lane markings were usually arrows Left/Straight ahead/Right.
Driver had to know well ahead if turning left/right to move into the outside lane. All satnavs are good for this.
Quoting road names would be a distraction (Garmin)
Road/Street names were displayed on most corners but by the time you were close enough to spot/read them, you were committed to a lane.
Conclusion:
Do not use road names. Use the same as the sign - place names.
Always use turn left/right type directions and diagrams.
In Barcelona there were very few roundabouts, so "third exit" was not necessary.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
The new Garmin EU map is due out first week of March, so it'll be interesting to see how far down the route numbering road they've got.

I can't say I've noticed any difference worth reporting, other than minor map corrections.
billwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AuldMike couldn't agree more the real voice is abysmal, I find my old TomTom which give you the exit number & the road number by far the most informative system.

Another gripe - whywhen speaking a road number does it say eg. A five thousand three hundred & sixy four rather than simply state A five three six four, GRRRRRRRRRRRR
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

Mine would say "A fifty-three sixty-four".
AuldMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: No road numbers Reply with quote

The problem seems to be down to the map. Each road has a text message and this could be anything including 'Merry Xmas' but as UK seems to be alone in using road numbers in preference to road names at junctions and roundabouts, the people building the map habitually apply road names rather than numbers. The text to speech engine simply reads out the text.
The problem is that there is no will to make an exception for UK maps and enter road numbers rather than names into the text.
I don't know if the speech engine spells out A123 but I think it will be ok.
I think Garmin have spoiled a very good product by ignoring road numbers for UK maps. There are some road numbers for motorways and roads where there is no road name.

TomTom Nova1 and Nova2 (old TomToms) are very good with road numbers (made in Holland). I don't know about the later models, Nova3 and Nova4 as TomTom changed the style completely. These later models have serious problems if you try to use itinerary planning so that made them a non-starter for me. Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: