Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Smartlink Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Smartlink Traffic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to post any more complaints but I had exactly what you've just posted. On that recent journey from Reading to Heathrow it did show red and yellow sections but too late as they showed up when I hit the back of the queue.

I put it down to the morning rush and rapid changing traffic conditions, plus I didn't have a route plotted, just using it's 'road ahead' logic.

Still better than SmartLink though
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
frustin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Yet others complain about being rerouted down rat runs. Were you using smartlink for your traffic? That seems to have problems at the moment. Today I was warned about slow moving traffic due to an accident which quickly turned into a road closed, which it was when I got there. That was using the supplied cable not smart link.

I was using supplied cable. I haven't used smartlink at all.

An example of when it all went wrong again was on Friday night. M25 anticlockwise between M11 and A12. I was trying to decide if i was going to go via M11 or carry on to the A12 (both of which will get me home).

Onward I thought, A12 it is. As I approached the A12 I'm seeing overhead signs telling me of delays and accident on A12 slip road. WHAAAAAT!!!!

NOTHING on the satnav. The queue was enormous so it clearly hadn't just happened. Traffic is definitely working through though because i was in a queue later on and it was showing the chequered patterns.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the latest Smartlink version 1.8.1 I've been doing some 'armchair GPS simulator' testing and so far it's looking promising.

I'll continue testing for a while comparing Smartlink with my tablet Inrix data. Hopefully I'll be able to run the 2597 alongside the 2599 on Friday morning from Slough to Heathrow in the morning peak for comparison.

The proliferation of roadworks I reported ages ago seem to have gone, but, early days.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
frustin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
With the latest Smartlink version 1.8.1 I've been doing some 'armchair GPS simulator' testing and so far it's looking promising.

Hi, forgive my ignorance.

Just so I understand Garmin nuvi 3598LMT-D already has traffic, so why is Smartlink any better?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smartlink is just another way to receive traffic. I initially used it so I could hide the cable instead of having it trailing across the dash as it's the traffic aerial.

However, in May/June last year they broke it and a few of us reported that all we were receiving were masses of roadworks and no or little traffic.

Got the old unit out to charge it and decided to give Smartlink a run being as the app had updated recently.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Technical Testing Reply with quote

Very Happy

Inrix on the tablet v a GPS simulated route round the M25

One way of checking it:

Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few weeks of comparison I've hidden the power cable and I'm back on Smartlink. It looks like it's fixed since the 8.1 Android update. Dashboard now a lot neater with just a few inches of cable showing.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been 'playing' with the viaMichelin site and sure enough the erroneous roadworks all appear on their site as well.

I plotted a route from my old work site to home and 12 sets of roadworks appeared.I know most of them are obsolete. They seem keen enough to implement them but not so keen when they are finished.

I've sent an email to viaMichelin to see if they have a reporting facility because I can't find it apart from a full blown con tact page.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some armchair, GPS simulator mode, testing for the CSV Converter next version 50.

This testing involved using both my 2597 and 2599 for side by side comparisons.

My 2599 uses Inrix traffic via the car cable but the 2597 is geared up to use Smartlink.

During testing I'm finding that when fired up the 2597 is displaying traffic within seconds of hitting 'GO' to navigate a route. Certainly a lot faster than when I last tried it. From a few hours testing yesterday I would say it's now working again.

I'll still leave the 2599 as cable because my smartphone bluetooth links to the cars handsfree telephone and I'm still finding that the phone can only have one bluetooth connection, so the car it is.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: