Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2 great Win apps for TomTom POI & Itinerary editing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2 great Win apps for TomTom POI & Itinerary editing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: 2 great Win apps for TomTom POI & Itinerary editing Reply with quote

I recently found two pieces of software that are far better than PoiEdit 2007 & Tyre.

TomTom POI Editor & TomTom Itinerary Editor.

Both use local ini files, so are completely portable and small enough to be stored on most TomTom devices.

There are too many features to list and the author is always adding more!
He's also very responsive to any issues or new features regarding his software.

I particularly like the ability to use TomTom maps, so you know your POI's or Itinerary points will be 100% accurate Very Happy

After a few days of tinkering I've abandoned PoiEdit & Tyre.

http://softop.tomtomusers.com/

Last edited by DeLorean on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find DeLorean. Thanks for sharing.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP says 'small enough to be stored on most TT devices' Given my problems with the lack of itineraries does this mean what it sounds like? i.e. that I could get the software onto the 1005 and use it to plan and follow itineraries on the device? If so how would I use MyTT to get the file onto the system please?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think he just means you can keep those progs on a TT so you can quickly use them onto a new PC, wherever you happen to be... (just like having other small portable apps on a USB memory stick)

Unless I'm missing something TOTALLY radical, they aren't programs that you can actually use on the TomTom itself.

I wish it were so!
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juliaosborne wrote:
The OP says 'small enough to be stored on most TT devices' Given my problems with the lack of itineraries does this mean what it sounds like? i.e. that I could get the software onto the 1005 and use it to plan and follow itineraries on the device? If so how would I use MyTT to get the file onto the system please?

My understanding is that the newer TomTom's (GO 1000 LIVE and above) no longer use the FAT32 file system, so the file system cannot be readily accessed.
This means that you can’t store the portable Windows apps on memory of these devices :-(

With the arrival of the GO 1000 LIVE and above, TomTom also removed the itinerary function :-(

However you can still run the TomTom POI Editor locally and upload your POI files to your TomTom through TomTom Home :-)

I’m sure if I’m barking up the wrong tree someone will kindly correct me ;-)

More good reasons why I keep my trusty old Go 910, Go 710 and WinCE Navigator 7 devices going :-)
Biggles500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version of Tyre Professional appears to support Itinery and POI editing etc.!

http://www.tyretotravel.com/tyre-history/

For TomTom Nav 3 devices

FYI
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean, but surely an itinerary file is not a POI is it? IIRC they came with .itn file types so surely wouldn't load as a POI in MyTT (I can't get TT Home to access my 1005 unless I've missed something so that wouldn't help IFAICS).

You could load each point that you wished to include or visit as a POI, but you could only program them up as points to go via on a trip in batches of 3 or 4, and even then you would need to be doing this within minutes of setting of on a trip, rather than just loading up a pre-saved itinerary. I also think that you would struggle to find them if they were more than 50 miles away from your current location if what I've read is true. Who on earth at TT thought that you wouldn't need a POI more than 50 miles away?

All in all it seems a right {suitable expletive} by TT.
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles500 so what will TT do or not do with a TyreToTravel route map - will the system still navigate from one point on the route amp to the next (which is the point of a Satnav)? Only it says: "The only thing you will miss using this feature, is the lack of route instructions"
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Biggles has been misled slightly....

There is no (full stop) way to add an itinerary to a NAV3 TomTom. ITN files are simply not supported.

Tyre has produced a work-round whereby a route created in Tyre can be recreated as a series of POIs.

But there is still no way to turn those into a connected route on a NAV3 TomTom. ALL you can do is navigate from one to the next (and add 3 more as waypoints as normal).
Biggles500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I think Biggles has been misled slightly....

Not misled exactly, as I don't have a NAV3 TomTom.

I posted the info purely for those who have those devices who might want in some way to create pseudo itinerary's etc..

This is one reason I haven't changed to a NAV3 device. Unless something has been changed recently, in the firmware!

I was leaving it up to the individual to decide if the information was of any use to them!

Hence the term 'FYI'.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if it came across that any of the misleading is down to *you*. I didn't mean it that way.

But you did say:

Quote:
The latest version of Tyre Professional appears to support Itinery and POI editing etc.!

.....For TomTom Nav 3 devices

...and the fact remains that there's no way a new version of Tyre can reinstate the itineraries function on Nav 3 devices.
Biggles500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Sorry if it came across that any of the misleading is down to *you*. I didn't mean it that way.

But you did say:

Quote:

.....For TomTom Nav 3 devices

...and the fact remains that there's no way a new version of Tyre can reinstate the itineraries function on Nav 3 devices.

No offence taken! Smile

But that was why I stated it 'appears to support'!
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The programmer of the very useful POI Editor for TomTom and ITN Editor for TomTom (Tony Anderson) suddenly disappeared after the last update of his apps on the November the 18th 2013... and nothing has been hear from him since Sad

Soon after its release Google Maps API changed to V3 and both of his utilities become unusable after this and this left a big hole for anyone wanting to edit POI’s and itineraries using a programme that used TomTom Routes maps.

However I’ve just found two suitable replacements which are both available in installable and portable versions and can display in many map formats including TomTom Routes maps.

They can be found here:
http://www.benichou-software.com

Enjoy Very Happy

P.S. I recently had an issue with an itinerary sending me around in a loop in Poland as the road was 20~30 metres more Northerly on the latest TomTom map, however Google still showed it in it’s old position Confused
jadonx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=
P.S. I recently had an issue with an itinerary sending me around in a loop in Poland as the road was 20~30 metres more Northerly on the latest TomTom map, however Google still showed it in it’s old position Confused[/quote]

You must of put a waypoint on wrong side of a dual carriageway, I found that you have to zoom in and drop on the right direction.

ITN convertor is excellent and its a shame its not built into tomtom home.
I use it a lot for the final part of a route when I have to avoid certain roads with my caravan on tow.
When you plan a route it takes the first waypoint to navigate a fast route to then fixes you to your planned route.
I also love the way you can use google street view within the ITN software to check suitable routes.....fantastic!
You plan your route then export directly to TT home so quick to use too!

John
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... the way point was now on the wrong side of the carriageway, but only because TomTom decided to move the motorway 20~30 Metres North for no reason:-/
I've been using the same way points for years and then suddenly TomTom mess it up by locating the motorway more northerly than it actually is :-p

Anyway it wasn’t a biggie and after a little tweak my itinerary is working fine again... until the next map update where I’ll probably have to reverse the changes I’ve made :-D

It's the first time it's ever happened, but with this in mind I’d best check my itinerary after every map update to save me driving around in circles :-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: