Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does anyone know of a dash cam that is actually a dash cam?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone know of a dash cam that is actually a dash cam?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't confirm this any way other than my personal experience but I think that there is a problem with 64gb cards. Some cards work, others don't, those that do may have glitches from time to time. Not all devices work with 64gb cards and I believe that those that do would prefer not to.
However, I've never had a problem with any 32gb card.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I used SD Formatter on the 64GB card, and have now installed it in the car.

Trouble is, I now keep glancing at the unit to see if the red indicator is still lit. Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the further information about RH - and also for the pieces about memory cards, most interesting.

cheers

Allan
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
I think that there is a problem with 64gb cards. Some cards work, others don't, those that do may have glitches from time to time. Not all devices work with 64gb cards and I believe that those that do would prefer not to.
However, I've never had a problem with any 32gb card.

I think that that is a fair statement. I've only recently (i.e. last two or three months) started to use a 64GB card in my RoadHawk HD when previously I've used a 16GB card. This is because the primary reason of having a dash cam in the car is for it to constantly record video and GPS data (speed, location, etc) to be referred to as an "expert witness" in the event of a RTC. So a card doesn't have to be that large if the oldest data is being overwritten.

However, there may be a secondary reason to have a dash cam, that is to record a particular journey (e.g. if you're on holiday) so a large card would be necessary to avoid it being overwritten before you are able to copy the necessary files. You would also need software to stitch all on the one minute clips into a single smooth video but that's a different matter.

I shall continue to keep checking my Kingston 64GB card, if I find it a problem then I will downsize to a 32GB card.

I recently asked Martyn of RoadHawk what they thought about the Formatter 4 tool from the SD Association, and how often should cards be re-formatted. He replied that the SD Formatter4.0 tool is good for anyone on windows XP or mac computers as it will set the cards correctly which is difficult on those computers. They (RH) recommend formatting the SD card approx once every 8 weeks to minimise card problems.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on, here's some tips and thoughts, mainly for RoadHawk HD units but may also be useful for other dash cams as well:

Arrow Ensure that your dash cam is running the latest version of firmware.

Arrow Always use the recommended SD/SDHC/SDXC cards that the manufacturer recommends.

Arrow If your video doesn't run smoothly, don't immediately think that it's your dash cam that's to blame, that was a mistake that I initially made Embarassed! Try using a different viewing software (i.e. other than the dash cam's own software) and if possible try viewing on a different computer!

Arrow If you have a large enough card, then you might as well go for 1080p (1920 wide x 1080 high) instead of 720p (1280 wide x 720 high) resolution.

Arrow 30 fps (frames per second) is almost as good as 60 fps.

Arrow Again, if you have a large enough card then you might as well go for the highest bit rate, which is 12 Mb/s for the RoadHawk.

Arrow Whilst the RoadHawk HD is very good, the software that comes with it does not have too many features - although the software is useful for changing the settings on the unit and finding files that are marked as "event files".

Arrow The Registrator Viewer software, by Vadim Andreevich Kozlov, is useful and there are both Windows and MacOS platform versions - although I've only tried the Windows version. It can group the one minute files into individual journeys and play them without interruption. It also shows the route of the journey with start and finish locations on the map (Google, OSM, etc). You can click anywhere on the route to see the video play from that point. You can also pause, fast forward, slow backwards, zoom, the video. Registrator Viewer is free, however you can make a donation if you wish.

After I bought a 64GB Kingston SDXC card, I bought a Integral ultima pro 64GB 45MB/s class 10 SDXC card, which I've run in the RoadHawk HD for over a fortnight now.

Here are some calculations for determining recording times when using a 64GB card, NB the calculation are approximate ones:

Arrow A one minute file at 1080p resolution, 30fps, and a bit rate of 12mbs is 102,400 KB which is 100.0 MB in size.

Arrow A 64GB SDXC card when formatted has approximately 59GB available.

Arrow A RoadHawk HD on one minute loop mode, allocates 60% for normal and 40% for events on the card, i.e. for a 64GB SDXC after formatting that's approximately 35.4GB for normal and 23.6GB for events. If the RoadHawk HD is set for 1080p resolution, 30 fps, 12 MB/s Bit rate then that's approximately 360 files or 6 hours of recording for normal and an addition 240 files or 4 hours of recording for events.

So, using the highest setting (1080p, 30 fps, 12 MB/s Bit rate) you should get approximately 6 hours of recording before the unit starts to overwrite the oldest files.

However on the RoadHawk HD unit, the 60/40 split is dynamic. If you haven't got many event files, the unit will continue to fill the storage until it's nearly full, so you may get more than the 60% for recording normal files. A small buffer zone of approximately 1.4 GB is kept free. At which point the unit will start to overwrite the oldest files.

This dynamic 60/40 split confused me for a while until Martyn from RoadHawk explained it to me.

The Integral 64GB SDXC card is still working well after a fortnight and is overwriting the oldest files first.

It'll be interesting to see how others are finding how well 64GB SDXC cards work in their RoadHawk HD units.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: