Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Keep Tomtom GO540, or upgrade to new tomtom/garmin?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Keep Tomtom GO540, or upgrade to new tomtom/garmin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Keep Tomtom GO540, or upgrade to new tomtom/garmin? Reply with quote

Hi, I have a tomtom go 540, that has expired live services.

I did use a Garmin with built in traffic and maps, which I felt was not as accurate with traffic when compared to the Tomtom.

Question now, is to replace with another Garmin, Upgrade to a new Tomtom (with built in traffic via smartphone, and map updates), or keep the 540, and just pay for live services.

I dont think the new units offer any more on navigation/traffic, except that traffic is now included - however it looks like I would have to pay £20 year for speed cameras, as the PGPSW database cannot be used. - therefore the saving is only £27.

Has anyone else compared the traffic from tomtom to Garmin - which do you feel offers more / better information?

In my case I think I might be better to keep the existing unit. - any discounts on live services at the moment?
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an iPhone user, I switched to the TomTom app on the phone. Same traffic, but better signal and cheaper to buy. The 740 would keep losing data, particularly on busy days, and was therefore not worth the money to continue. The iPhone app can do POIs if you put some effort in (see another posting somwhere on this site where someone explains this), but not with warnings (and also not edit them which is a pain!).

Whether that's suitable for you, I don't know.
dlpruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 540 battery would no longer hold a charge for more than a few minutes so I replaced it with a new 820 Live with UK maps - with the help of some Halford's gift tokens - and I'm delighted.

V. the 540, the 820 has a better screen, responds much faster to route deviations and has a neater mount. And v. later Tom Toms it retains the ability to accept third-party POIs.

I'm still getting used to MyDrive Connect after years of Home but it seems to work and it made it easy to transfer of all my PGPSW POIS and camera locations.

(Memo to mods: yes, I did delete all my camera downloads from the 540 before sticking it on Ebay!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: