Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which 25xx unit...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which 25xx unit...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Which 25xx unit... Reply with quote

I currently have a TomTom ONE unit in my A3 and it can no longer accept map updates as the internal memory is too small and it does not have a SD Card slot.

I am looking for a unit that can accept the PGPSW Camera Database and I am thinking of one of the Garmin 25xx units. My A3 already has a 'hard-wired' USB cable for the TomTom.

Do any of the Garmin 25xx units have to have a special cable to receive the traffic updates or can I just use the existing cable.

Which Garmin unit would members recommend?

Thanks a lot.

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by the 'existing cable'? Is the TT one the same as a Garmin one?

In any case the traffic units require the specific cable.

As for which one to recommend, any of the 25x8 or 25x9 series, both have digital traffic. Avoid the 25x7 which have the older style analogue traffic.
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is what I was afraid of. I'm sure I read somewhere that some of the 25xx series had the traffic receiver built-in to the main unit.

The existing cable is just a normal TomTom cable with the micro-usb plug on one end with the other end directly connection to car's power supply. The connection is made behind the dashboard and was done, at my request, but the dealer before I took delivery of the car.

As it is the Traffic updates are the least important facility to me as I'm now retired and tend not to drive at busy times.

Perhaps I only need to have one of Garmin's Essential range that do have Life Time maps but no Life Time Traffic updates.

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traffic receiver is built in but you still need the correct cable as that includes the antenna.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had my unit hard wired and I used Garmin's Smartlink feature. Unfortunately around last June Garmin did something to Smartlink and it is no longer viable for traffic. All it seems to report is out of date roadworks. A few of us here posted this last summer.

The answer is to have the Garmin TA10 or TA20 cable visible on top of the dash so it can receive the constantly updated Inrix traffic. To make installation a bit neater I got some TomTom cable clips. They are tiny black rubber sticky things ( 1cm circumference ) with a cable cutout. When I get on the PC I'll try to find them on Amazon. They come in packs of 3.

I got the 2599LMT-D and I can recommend it.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: