Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin NUVI 50 Cameras and Voice Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin NUVI 50 Cameras and Voice Alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meditek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What distance from the camera site triggers these warnings. I ask because North Yorkshire is infested with converted vans stuffed with gear that can get you up to a mile away according to the guy giving our badboy lecture.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my issue with Garmin. By default it's 36 seconds which I think is too early. As a result I wrote the CSV to GPX converter, available in the sticky section above. That allows you to set your own approach and secondary overspeed warnings. I use 14 seconds for approach and 6 seconds if I'm still over the limit at that point.
It also removes some of the annoying double warnings where there are cameras on both sides of a motorway gantry for example.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
meditek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
This is my issue with Garmin. By default it's 36 seconds which I think is too early. As a result I wrote the CSV to GPX converter, available in the sticky section above. That allows you to set your own approach and secondary overspeed warnings. I use 14 seconds for approach and 6 seconds if I'm still over the limit at that point.
It also removes some of the annoying double warnings where there are cameras on both sides of a motorway gantry for example.

I should prefer it by distance, unless of course the gizmo works out the time related to speed internally. Mine does not have the speed related ability so I should be happy to receive the warning at least a mile before. When you can see them it's too late!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking at a mile then you are going to get dozens of simultaneous warnings in urban areas as it works on a forward radius.

Even at 36 seconds you stand a chance of forgetting. I based my preference on my old Talex that I thought had it spot on.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you can see them it's too late
It depends on how straight the road is. Have a look at the various types etc. here The maximum displayable range of the LTI 20-20 is 999 metres (I've seen one), which is 3309 ft, nearly 1010 yards or about 0.62 miles. Its principal specifications are:

Marksman Specifications LTI 20-20

Dimensions: 3.5 in x 5 in x 8 in
Weight: 4.5 lbs
Speed Measurement Distance: 30 ft to 3500 ft. 300mts With Video Camera
Speed Maximum: +200 mph to -200 mph (accurate zero reading) Accuracy: +/- 1 mph
Acquisition Time: 0.3 seconds
Range Measurement Distance: 30 ft to 3500 ft Accuracy: +/- 6 inches
Acquisition Time: 0.3 seconds
Targeting
Pin-point beam (3 milliradian divergence, 3 ft wide at 1000 ft)

Others are similarly specified, so it's very unlikely that they will trap you much beyond half a mile and then only if tripod mounted. And at 60MPH, half mile is 30 seconds. Note the acquisition time of one third of a second, which is why laser detectors are a waste of money.

And remember that police can set up a speed trap wherever they like, so no database will be completely accurate anyway.
[patronising mode]
So the only way of being completely safe is not to speed.
[/patronising mode]
meditek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT

The vans here are unmarked and look like 'white vans'. on close inspection they have small portholes dotted around. They park them over the brow of a hill or similar and then knock off back to their desks for a few hours. The things are fully automated and check for seat belts, tax discs- no longer, and speed. They have started doing people for 32, 43 and so on mostly parking in places where no serious accidents have been recorded. The spate of 'low speed' convictions ensures their expensive lectures are well attended.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: