Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TT models
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TT models

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: New TT models Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea when the next range of TT models are due to be released? My GO 940 has now decided not to switch on but if new TT models do not include the facility to add third party POI's, will be off to Garmin. Is there a particular time of year for new releases?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No news on new TT models but the 50/60 500/600 5000/6000 have just received yet another major firmware update, and the beta tester version of the custom POI loader for these new units just made available (full release coming)

Comparing my 600 / 6000 to my Garmin 3598 today and it makes the Garmin look like its from the dark ages (except for the Garmins build and mount - which IS great)
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No beta version of a custom poi loader is available as of yet...........
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't going to be implemented according to their customer service. I asked the question when/ if POIs would be added to devices as my unit is due for replacement. The responses I got were:

Quote:
By looking at your e-mail I understand that you want to purchase a new TomTom device but you want to add POIs on your new device and this feature has been removed for the new generation device thus you want to know if this feature will be implemented.

I will definitely try my best to provide you with an appropriate solution.

I would like to inform you that the new generation devices already comes up thousands of inbuilt POIs and thus you cannot add any third party POIs on these devices.

The main reason behind removing this feature was due to the compatibility issue with the third party POIs and the TomTom application installed on the device. It was very difficult for the applcation to accept the POIs downloaded from different website as they had compatibility issues.

Thus new devices such as GO 5000 or GO 50 device no longer come with the feature of accepting any third party POIs.

I then explained that I need custom POIs as I have made my own over 10 years and the supplied ones are of no use to me, neither was the discount needed on a unot that would be of no use to me!!

Quote:
I totally understand your frustration in this issue however I would like to inform you that this feature is no longer available with the new generation device and thus we have provided thousand of inbuilt POIs along with the device itself.

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just say that customer service agents are not always in the loop, so to speak.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But by my asking a specific question in a sales related, manufacturer;s environment, they have just alienated a 10 year customer. If I cannot get a definitive answer, and I am also told that something I rely heavily on day to day is not to be made available on new units, I am going to look elsewhere for a unit which suits my daily needs.

Perhaps if Tom Tom came clean over the issue rather than pussy footing around it, customers may not be so rattled. These "new" units aren't exactly new now.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poi beta test read end of main first post

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-and-START-40-50-60-series-GO/New-software-update-v14-500-available-for-download-in-MyDrive/td-p/938397
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a notice that TomTom made earlier today regarding the latest release of the application:

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-and-START-40-50-60-series-GO/New-software-update-v14-500-available-for-download-in-MyDrive/td-p/938397

Notice at the bottom an invitation to be considered for beta testing of custom pois???

Now, that invitation would not be made if TT weren't planning to implement that functionality (finally), would it?
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
But by my asking a specific question in a sales related, manufacturer;s environment, they have just alienated a 10 year customer. If I cannot get a definitive answer, and I am also told that something I rely heavily on day to day is not to be made available on new units, I am going to look elsewhere for a unit which suits my daily needs.

I don't know if you have a smartphone, but I followed the instructions on this site about how to put my POI files from my 740 into the iPhone app, and they are working fine there. So I have a nice big screen, the interface I'm familiar with, and my custom POIs. My 740 would be gone by now but my wife wants it to stay, even though traffic and map updates ran out and she doesn't use it much... Me, I've moved on.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope the functionality is included soon if being beta tested. Perhgaps they could also update the agents that are answering the questions also? That sort of an answer would have prevented my rant ;)
Stecha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: New TT models Reply with quote

topref wrote:
Anyone have any idea when the next range of TT models are due to be released? My GO 940 has now decided not to switch on but if new TT models do not include the facility to add third party POI's, will be off to Garmin. Is there a particular time of year for new releases?

TomTom XXL
Which still seem to be available
Had same problem and needed the same so got one myself in the summer
http://www.tesco.com/direct/tomtom-xxl-classic-series-sat-nav-5-lcd-touch-screen-with-ukireland-maps/544-6527.prd
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an email the other day to say that new map updates (I have a paid subscription) were available but when I connected my TomTom ONE 3rd edition, there was no update showing.

I contacted TomTom by email a couple of days ago and received a reply today asking for my phone number. I replied and about 30 mins later I received a call from Support. I seems that the new maps, even after being zoned, are too big for the memory of my ONE.

Support offered to refund the money I had paid for the updated maps and give my 25% off any new TomTom.

I mentioned the ability to load my own and 3rd party POIs and he said this would be available in the first quarter of 2015. I also asked about seeing a chosen route as text and he said this would also bee added back soon.

Now all I have to do is decide if I prefer to stick with TomTom or move to Garmin.

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: