Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help....Safety Speed Cameras Brand New Via 135 OUT-OF DATE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help....Safety Speed Cameras Brand New Via 135 OUT-OF DATE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPANDA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Help....Safety Speed Cameras Brand New Via 135 OUT-OF DATE Reply with quote

After spending an age going through the Tom Tom models to find one that would allow for Camper and Caravan map to be added at a cost of £80.00 plus the Satnav price I settled on Via135 as buying the new Camper& Caravan Satnav all in was over£300. All went well and I managed to install the C.Caravan map.HOWEVER my S.S.Cameras are stating Out-of-date on my brand new Via135....This seems to be a common problem with this model that goes back years on their forums ..and after contacting TT team they keep telling me it's a bug! As long as it's says up to date on MYDRIVE acc there's nothing to worry about! Absolute rubbish!!! I tested it on a trip to the local Sainsburys and found SORRY didn't find one of the SSC that had been there for years. Can I use the PocketGPS Speed Cameras for my model bearing in mind I have installed Camper&Caravan maps? I think I can as that's one thing TT kept telling me pay £19.99 and you'll have them for the year....BUT reading the TT forums others had paid and still their SSC maps said the same OUT-OF-DATE on their Satnavs for the Via 135... Thought I'd done well and was ready to go on me travels but have lost all confidence with the TT teams aftersales who would never explain why a fix had not been achieved after such along time.

Any help would be great Thumbs Up
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here for compatibility list and installation guides. Just subscribe to annual membership of this site and access to the camera database is included free. Unfortunately, so many people discover only too late that the TomTom subscription is for a lesser camera database (which we find is not up to date, irrespective of whether or not the device or MyDrive says so).

I would add that another difference between PocketGPSWorld database and TomTom, is that included in your site subscription price is permission to download the database on up to three devices (of any make) in the same household. That includes the smartphone (iOS and/or Android) versions, which are even better than the PND version.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
that the TomTom subscription is for a lesser camera database (which we find is not up to date, irrespective of whether or not the device or MyDrive says so).
I think what Dennis is saying is that even when TT say your TT database is not out of date, it still contains errors in camera positions that have been there/not been there for months. e.g. You get warned of lots of roadwork SPECS cameras that have been moved a long time ago and don't get warned of them in the position they were moved to. However the PGPSW database keeps up with these much quicker, normally they are included the week after they have been moved.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is we don't know (nobody knows) how, when and what TomTom do with their database - who collects data, how widely, how often? the list of unknowns is even greater than the list of unknown unknowns. They used to offer on some devices the opportunity for their users to report on cameras - new and removals, but that facility is long gone. The update process either happens to your device or doesn't and often the most you see of anything happening nowadays is the spinning wheel thing. There is some theory that they do some updates over the air, but I have yet to hear of anybody reporting that they've seen it happening.

The PocketGPSWorld database is compiled from reports submitted by pgpsw members. How many members? I dunno, but a lot more than TomTom have doing it these days, that's for sure - the Administrator gets loads of reports EVERY day (and deals with them that often too). That's how the pgpsw database has the edge over all the rest out there. And the members have an incentive to submit camera reports - a qualifying report will reward that member with a free year's subscription - I haven't heard of any other camera databse which has the same. The latest updated database is made available for download every week and is announced on the website. You can look at the website camera location map and see all the cameras. There is very little which is not open and above board about the pgpsw database, no secrets, no hidden "only we know that" stuff.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GO6000 has the facility to report cameras Dennis and the cameras are updated via MyDrive. I don't think it will update 'over the air'. I like the way the cameras are displayed when a camera is highlighted but all in all the service accuracy is rubbish, and I take every opportunity to recommend friends and family to take up membership of PGPSW, which I use in conjunction with my Tom Tom on CamerAlert on my phone.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: