Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Goodbye TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Goodbye TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably doesn't ... most phones give an initial 'fix' based on triangulation from mobile phone masts, and then later connect via GPS.

I know when I use ViewRanger on my phone it takes much longer to get a GPS fix, and I assume that's because that app doesn't take advantage of A-GPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

Most GPS will give a fix within seconds provided they're switched on where they were last switched off, otherwise there can be a delay, but a minute is exceptional, my Garmins take 15 to 20 seconds.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone who's familiar with both TT & Garmin, tell me which Garmin is, at least, equivalent to a TT 940 Live? My current one is showing signs of its age! I replaced the battery last year, but it's beginning to look like it's needing replaced again. I see that some of the Garmin come with "Free Lifetime" Maps and "Free Lifetime" Traffic, and I'm wondering whether I'd be better off with a new Garmin than trying to nurse my 940 back to life and continuing to pay for traffic and maps?

I NEED to be able to add Custom POIs.
I NEED to be able to navigate to those Custom POIs.
I NEED to be able to get Proximity Alerts when I approach some of those Custom POIs (i.e. Speed Camera Warnings + "There's a 'Costa'/'Starbucks'/'Other brands are available' coming up".

I'd LIKE to be able to use Itineraries (i.e. plan multiple "travel vias").
I'd LIKE to have Traffic in Ireland (I see that some models have "Digital Traffic" and some seem to just have "Traffic", what's the difference?).
I'd LIKE as large a screen as possible. (Running some Navigation software on my Nexus 7 tablet (7 inch screen) is another possibility!)

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much all the newer Garmin's will do what you want, and there are 7" models avilable. For differences in traffic see here:

http://www.garmin.com/uk/traffic

My latest nuvi has digital traffic. It's so good I'd hesitate to recommend a Garmin without it.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccririck wrote:
I'd like to know why my phone connects to GPS in seconds but my TomTom can take almost a minute to do the same.

Maybe it's just a quirk of TomTom, I find TomTom on my Android smartphone sometimes loses, or can't lock onto GPS, yet I can switch to Google Maps which is fine. My old 520 & 550 both had big problems if the weather was overcast / low cloud, they just wouldn't connect at all, yet the phone didn't have a problem, very strange?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Pretty much all the newer Garmin's will do what you want, and there are 7" models avilable. For differences in traffic see here:

http://www.garmin.com/uk/traffic

My latest nuvi has digital traffic. It's so good I'd hesitate to recommend a Garmin without it.

Thanks for that!
So "Digital Traffic" models have a DAB receiver built in? Is Digital Traffic available in all European Countries?
Am I correct in interpreting LMT-D, in the Model Name as "Life Time Map and Digital Traffic Updates"?
I'm finding the model numbers a bit confusing!
Are 2nnn all "Advanced" and 3nnn "Premium"? What's the difference between them? I can't see a way to compare models from different ranges!
Is the 2nd digit the screen size? n5nn = 5 inch & n7nn = 7 inch?
What do the last 2 digits mean? The higher the better?
So the would the top of the range be a 3799 LMT-D? Does that exist? I can see a 2799 LMT-D.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Thanks for that!
So "Digital Traffic" models have a DAB receiver built in? All the recent models, yes

Is Digital Traffic available in all European Countries? I don't know, I suspect not.

Am I correct in interpreting LMT-D, in the Model Name as "Life Time Map and Digital Traffic Updates"? Yes

I'm finding the model numbers a bit confusing! Join the club!

Are 2nnn all "Advanced" and 3nnn "Premium"? Yes

What's the difference between them? I can't see a way to compare models from different ranges! Premium tend to have better screens, pinch and zoom, voice commands etc I've never bought one.

Is the 2nd digit the screen size? n5nn = 5 inch & n7nn = 7 inch? Yes

What do the last 2 digits mean? The higher the better? Depends what you consider better. Higher tends to mean more map coverage, eg Europe instead of just UK, and additional facilities, eg Bluetooth

So the would the top of the range be a 3799 LMT-D? Does that exist? No

A good site for prices/comparison is http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/gps/?post_type=product&product_category=garmin
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
I started out with a 520 well over 10 years ago and onto a 550, which still works well, although I broke the sucker mount some years ago. When the Android app came out 2 years ago I snapped it up immediately, but following the 'highlighted' route is next to impossible and rather that fix the problems TomTom now appear to have abandoned development in favour of the new TomTom GO app (but only available in Italy). The only reason I've put up with sub-standard app for so long is HD Traffic, but that's now up for renewal so if TomTom don't do something soon I'll be off to CoPilot!

I've had many Garmins, starting with the very first E-Map and subsequent Nuvi's. Then they changed there format to "User Friendly" Crying or Very sad and I moved over to Tom Tom (which had better USA mapping - crazy as Garmin is American company). Then, as previously stated, Tom Tom decided customers don't matter, and you put up with it, so I'm now with Co-Pilot, takes a bit of playing around with to get used to it's methodology, but I'm very happy with the display / routing possibilities.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Stampy72 wrote:
Afraid to say, I too have jumped ship from TomTom after trying to update my map on my XL LIVE.

And this just when they have announced a lifetime maps offer for the XL Live for about £24. Rolling Eyes

hi dennis
i have an XL Live europe without lifetime maps. my annual sub to this has recently ended. where do i find this lifetime map offer for £24 from? i have googled it and couldn't find a reference to it.
many thanks.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, no chance - that was six or seven weeks ago!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AuldMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I too have jumped to Garmin after many years with TomTom devices.
As well as the reasons given by previous posters *** it is no longer possible to prepare a route plan and load it onto a new TomTom product ***
The only way to plan a route is to use the device and its small screen.
TomTom cannot prepare a route away from the device.
Even 'Tyre' who claim over 500,000 users can only plan for the 'Rider' version.
Lack of off-device route planning was confirmed by TomTom support today,
Trade comments allege that this is not just a simple programming omission.

I am not entirely satisfied with Garmin but I cannot use the new TomToms.
My Garmin issue
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=613417#613417

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: