Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How can I identify a cam without stopping on the motorway?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How can I identify a cam without stopping on the motorway?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAA_0912173726
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: How can I identify a cam without stopping on the motorway? Reply with quote

It says i can get free subscription to updates if i report a cam

I get a cam everyday on the M1 reporting "30" mph which is obviously wrong

I have tried looking at the map when i get home and too tiny to read anything but i cant see *any* cameras on the map at all??

1/ How can I find this cam without stopping in the middle of the motorway?

2/ If I report the speed error will this count?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How sure are you that it isn't a false alarm from a 30MPH cam near the motorway.
Tell us where it is and we will have a look for you.
There is one where the M1 crosses the A505, another one a couple of miles north of J23, a couple around J25, one by J26. I'm bored now.

See the 'Free Subscriptions' 'rules' drop down on this page Towards the top right hand side.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you looking at the map when you get home? Are you zooming in close enough for the cameras to appear? They aren't shown at all when you are zoomed out too far.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the OP used the words 'and too tiny to read anything', I guess that he is looking at it on his phone rather than on the submission map here on his computer.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have my phone to hand so this is all from memory (aka guessing), if you play around with the settings, turn map view off, switch to list view and as you are driving a list of the cameras in the immediate vecinity shall appear. As it announces its alert, your troublesome camera shall be at the top of the list and an arrow, guided by gps, shall point in the direction of its location. Try to make a mental note of its ID number and its location/distance relative to you and then research it on the Submissions Map as previously suggested.

However, the bottom line is that it probably does exist, albeit not on your road, and you shall need to tune it out when passing or fine tune the cone of detection on your CA app.

Edit - Point 2). Yes, a correction counts once it has been verified.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your settings you will get false alarms. There is/was another one on the M25 near Reigate/M23, clockwise, that warns of a 30mph limit. It is very near a bridge so you have to use your noddle with some of these.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the OP will actually come back and acknowledge these posts. He didn't respond to my answer to his previous first post.
CAA_0912173726
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
How sure are you that it isn't a false alarm from a 30MPH cam near the motorway.

Could well be
CAA_0912173726
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Because the OP used the words 'and too tiny to read anything', I guess that he is looking at it on his phone ....

Quite - We are discussing the ANDROID APP or am I missing something?

but you did answer my question - its obvious impossible to identify cameras using the app (bizarrely) and you need to use a desktop - Thanks for that

which raises another obvious oversight - programmers are often so close to numbers that common sense totally blows over their head - so here it is

Of all the things The "APP" includes it should include a "camera identified button" - which you can use to site a camera in-a-single-click (whilst driving past it)

+ You can get home safely before add other details like speed and direction that you cant add whilst driving down the Motorway, or you could simply remove it if you made a mistake before you report it

+ The location would be PIN accurate and not guessed after thought

So simple a solution its ridiculous
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAA_0912173726 wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
Because the OP used the words 'and too tiny to read anything', I guess that he is looking at it on his phone ....
Quite - We are discussing the ANDROID APP or am I missing something?
No, you're not missing anything, but others were answering as if you were looking at the submission map on a PC.
Quote:
its obvious impossible to identify cameras using the app (bizarrely)
Not true. If you find a camera of interest on the map, just tap on it and the details will magically appear. The other thing that might benefit is a quick R of TFM.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAA_0912173726 wrote:

Of all the things The "APP" includes it should include a "camera identified button" - which you can use to site a camera in-a-single-click (whilst driving past it)

+ You can get home safely before add other details like speed and direction that you cant add whilst driving down the Motorway, or you could simply remove it if you made a mistake before you report it

+ The location would be PIN accurate and not guessed after thought

I would like this too.

Recently I have been submitting a number of specs cameras sited within roadworks and sometimes they are sited so close together that it can be impossible to enter all the details before you are at the next one. This is made doubly difficult if you are doing both sides of the carriageway.

Maybe it would be possible to add an option to the list on the page after the initial camera mark (the one where you chose the camera type) to include the option "Edit Later"
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
Maybe it would be possible to add an option to the list on the page after the initial camera mark (the one where you chose the camera type) to include the option "Edit Later"
Great idea

Edited by Anita to correct the quote
CAA_0912173726
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Because the OP used the words 'and too tiny to read anything', I guess that he is looking at it on his phone rather than on the submission map here on his computer.

Used this map to suggest removal of an incorrect camera so here's hoping it's processed - Thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapping the 'camera' icon marks the location at the current point. So if you simply tap that and wait until it's safe to pull over then it will use the location from where you started adding it, as opposed to where you were when you stopped.

Obviously if there's more than one camera to add then it's not ideal, but it should be OK for now?

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: