Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hi-res icons for Garmin Zumo 590?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi-res icons for Garmin Zumo 590?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glawrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Hi-res icons for Garmin Zumo 590? Reply with quote

The Garmin Zumo 590 has a high resolution screen (800x480 pixels - compared to 480x272 for older models). This may also be available on some Nuvi models.

The higher resolution is great - it makes the interface much more functional. But on the new resolution displays the POI icons for the GPS World information are *tiny*.

I'm guessing that somewhere it is possible to substitute higher resolution images for the ones stored by default. But not sure how. The aspect ratio of the high res screen is a bit wider than the older ones, but I suppose increasing the diameter of the icons by a factor of 1:1.66 would scale them up proportionately.

Anyone got any ideas how to do this?
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faststone Image Resizer, which is Freeware, has a batch resize function and is what I used when I went from a 1690 to 2598.

Hope this helps.
glawrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that's helpful. I'm on a Mac, and you can do batch resizing really easily simply using the built in preview app. So the resizing itself is not the issue - I simply don't know what I am supposed to resize, and whether I need to adjust any other files to reflect any changes I make to the images.

Is there an FAQ on this somewhere?
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to resize the icons that relate to your POIs. I went up to 33x33 which shows up nicely. There may be a maximum size but I don't know what it is.
glawrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great - thanks for the clarification. I'll give it a go.
glawrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried creating both 33x33 and 37x37 icons, and when ever I try I get an error from POI loader saying 'There was an unexpected error in the custom POI file'.

If I open / edit / save the icon files but leave them the standard size there is no problem. I just see the issue when I change the size of the icons.

This makes me think there is perhaps some other edit that is needed in order for the POI load to take place, and / or some constraint on the icons or their file format that has not yet been made clear.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using POIloader 2.7.3 which worked OK yesterday with 33x33 bitmaps. Have you checked that the number of colours is not a problem as well?
glawrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Garmin POI Loader for Mac v. 2.3.0 which is the latest version available, but hasn't been updated since Nov. 2013. Maybe there is something that got fixed in the more recent (presume) Windows version you are using.

I don't think the number of colours is an issue - so far all I've done is to scale the stock icons, so all that stuff should be unchanged.

It seems that Mac users are a bit of poor relation in the Garmin world: so the Mac loader being a dud compared to windows version is not that surprising really.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: