Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Removal of traffic cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Removal of traffic cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAS_0923141102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Removal of traffic cameras Reply with quote

Have just downloaded the camera database before I drove from Teesside to the Lake District by the A66. I lost count of the number of times there was supposed to be a speed camera located only to find none at all. In the end I turned the sound off as it was quiet irritating as this must have happened well over 30 times (I gave up counting in the end). I tried to send updates when I returned home but it seemed to be very complicated. It would be much easier if on the app there was a simple camera remove button.
As for the actual amount of cameras I seem on the A66 was a big fat zero. There were average speed cameras on a short stretch of the A1 but that's all I saw in both directions.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The warnings you heard were probably for mobile camera locations.

As you shall be aware, the Bobbies are not always there.

It is possible to choose not to be warned of mobile locations but as these are the most likely camera type to cost you a few points on your licence you'll need to weigh up the pro's and con's of "false alerts" or no alerts.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
CAS_0923141102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Removal of traffic cameras Reply with quote

CAS_0923141102 wrote:
Have just downloaded the camera database before I drove from Teesside to the Lake District by the A66. I lost count of the number of times there was supposed to be a speed camera located only to find none at all. In the end I turned the sound off as it was quiet irritating as this must have happened well over 30 times (I gave up counting in the end). I tried to send updates when I returned home but it seemed to be very complicated. It would be much easier if on the app there was a simple camera remove button.
As for the actual amount of cameras I seem on the A66 was a big fat zero. There were average speed cameras on a short stretch of the A1 but that's all I saw in both directions.

Thanks for the advice I have now set a different alert tone for the mobile cameras. I will now be able to hear the difference between the types. However I still believe the app should have a entry to report where there are no cameras as I can't believe all the locations on the A66 were mobile sites.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick look at the camera submission map shows that there are 26 mobile camera locations on the A66, between the A1M and the M6, plus a few more pmobiles (unverified, provisional mobile sites) .

These sites have all been reported in use by PGPSW members in the last 12 months or so.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your forum identity suggests that you are using the CamerAlert version for either iOS or Smartphone. If that is the case, you should be getting a camera icon showing - if you tap the icon it brings up a screen to Edit the camera, one edit is to remove it.

But you have me confused by saying you have changed the warning sound for mobiles, so maybe you are using it on a standalone satnav?

Even so, it may be possible to download and use voice alerts which speak both the type and speed of the camera.

Just what device are you using CamerAlert on?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
CAS_0923141102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Removal of traffic cameras Reply with quote

CAS_0923141102 wrote:
CAS_0923141102 wrote:

Thanks for the advice I have now set a different alert tone for the mobile cameras. I will now be able to hear the difference between the types. However I still believe the app should have a entry to report where there are no cameras as I can't believe all the locations on the A66 were mobile sites.

I am using the app on my i-phone 3S and a standalone Satnav.
I first down loaded the app months ago however I did not subscribe until last week and was very pleased when I able to download the camera database to the satnav in the car via a USB stick.
Although I have not had the data base long I have come across a few problems including the mobile camera positions on the A66 and how to report them. For instance on the app the database does not seem to be working correctly (it maybe as I have a old phone). When I press the list of cameras I normaly get a blank screen with No upcoming cameras on the top followed by No other cameras in the area. If I mess about with it it has reported that the nearest camera is 400 miles away. I certainly dont get the map showing camera locations and speeds. As for reporting the positions on my phone is impossible as it does not show any local cameras.
I have been messing with the phone as I have been typing this and I now have 15 other cameras in area and the nearest being 5002.9 miles away.
This however is not as important to me as long as the one in my car works as I dont want to be driving along messing with my phone.
Overall I am very happy that this service is provided but even with my limited time of use have found many of my local camera position not to be accurate, as I have mentioned the A66 but also Hartlepool and Stockton and unfortunatly I find it almost imposible to report them acurately. Maybe it is just me and nobody else has problems (I plan to change the phone next year maybe that will help). I have downloaded latest data base to the phone at least 5 times and again just minutes ago and no difference.

I didnt know I could also down load voice alerts and I will have a go at downloading them. Thank you for your help and comments.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I'm on iPhone 5S and can't remember as far back as the iPhone 3, but it sounds more like it IS you than the App. The warnings are very varied and are all INCLUDED in the App for iPhone, not downloaded, it's just a case of you selecting them - set the warnings ON, then choose the warnings you want. The rubbish proximity of cameras you are experiencing is usually when you don't have any GPS or data connection (I think - I'm no guru).

Have you looked at the (click here for) manual?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably you have got the satellite location service running on your phone so that it knows where you are. Sorry if this sounds patronising, but it's not meant to be as it has been know to have happened before.

You will not get the maps in CA unless you have an active internet connection (which will also use some of your data allowance)

As an aside, just what do you want to report about the mobile sites on the A66? They are sites that are known to be used by the authorities. If a site has had no 'seen again' report for a year or so, they are removed from the database. You do not need to report that they are not there when you pass, just report them when you have actually seen them in action.
CAS_0923141102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Removal of traffic cameras Reply with quote

Edited to remove unnecessary quotes - DennisN

The app is working perfectly now😄. The problem was the iPhone 3 runs on iOS 6 where the app needs iOS 7. I have upgraded the phone and it works perfectly now. Thank you all for your help😄

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: