Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The End Is Nigh for PND's?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The End Is Nigh for PND's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: The End Is Nigh for PND's? Reply with quote

I started out with TomTom on a PDA at the turn of the century (sounds old!), then I upgraded to a PND, and have had several since then, the last two being a 740 and my current a 1005 V2.

All were generally good with the exception of a couple of dodgy batteries and a rubbish processor on the 740. However they all shared a common denomonator or two.

Traffic
Itineray
third party POI

For the purposes of this arguement only the latter of the above is of interest. It seems that most of Tomtom's new products don't allow it, and so my point is this.

Given that TT on a smartphone is £30 or so, and you can shove POI's on it one way or another, and a smartphone has multiple uses, why on earth would anyone invest in a TomTom PND?

Most modern cars come with a satnav, albeit not all will accept POI updates, but at the same time most people own a smart phone?

If you currenty own a PND without POI update facility it will shortly be worth 50p?

So, I am bailing out with one of the very best 1005 V2 going up for sale whilst I can get some cash from it. Goodbye forever TomTom.

Last edited by uk89camaro on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I have a certain sympathy with that point of view! I now have only one TT PND - and ageing 920 which I keep only for family use when they need one. I keep my TT navigation on my Nexus 7, which I find the perfect size for the centre of my dashboard. I have no need for live traffic and I find the Nexus/TT/CamerAlert arrangement totally satisfactory for my requirements.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea.

Personally I like my Garmin 2599 and have no intention of using my phone (smaller screen) as a sat-nav. My PND will do POI's, it will do digital traffic (can TT on a phone do that?) and it is easy to use with a large display.

So, I don't see the PND as dead just yet.

Alan
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree

My HTC One kept locking up with CamerAlert which was a shame and I did miss the easy read traffic.

The speaker on my Garmin 2599 is better (more bass) than my HTC One, even though the HTC has Beats audio.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree. IMO, and I've had a satnav built into my car before, and own a smartphone, I'm intending to keep a PND for many years more.

Larger, clearer screen, easier to use, interfaces better with the software on my PC (Basecamp) that I also use with the GPS I use when out hiking, etc etc.
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatNav on a smartphone is also very useful, though. My Galaxy S3 is an extremely useful tool when walking in a city with TT or CityMaps. But for in-car navigation, then the Nexus' 7 inch screen for me is the perfect solution. But I have no need for anything other than a basic navigator together with CamerAlert. Plus, of course, when you've bought TT Android version then you can bung it on any number of other android units for no extra charge.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfp2001 wrote:
Plus, of course, when you've bought TT Android version then you can bung it on any number of other android units for no extra charge.

Blimey, do TT know about this? If I get myself an Android can you put it on mine for me?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do the limit it on iPhones then. Surely because Apple do not allow tying and app to a phone prevents this? Isn't this the problem that CA are having.

I have several instances of Sygic running on three different android devices.
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apps on an android device are paid for through and linked to your Google account and not to the device. So - one purchase and you can download and run the same apps on a number of devices (they don't even have to all belong to you as long as you use your same Google account to download them!). So - yes, Dennis: I could put TT on your android smartphone (and you could then use it) if I used my same Google account to do it. Downside would be that I would have to leave my Google account on your phone - if I removed it then the app would stop. Change your android smartphone?? Just download it, or any other previously paid for android apps, again using the same Google account and Bob's your Uncle (or whomever!).

But doesn't CamerAlert do the same???

I have TT Western Europe running on my Galaxy Note 10'1" tablet, on my Nexus 7 tablet and my Galaxy S3 phone, having only had to pay for it once. To test the theory, I downloaded TT onto a friend's Nexus 7 using my Google account details - it worked perfectly to the point where I deleted my Google account from his tablet, when TT stopped working on next boot up!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ten foot one inch tablet. Wow!

Anyway, d'you mean I wouldn't be allowed to download lotsa stuff on your account?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfp2001 wrote:
But doesn't CamerAlert do the same???
Not sure now, but PGPSW used to tie CA to a device so that they can say 'Hey oop, you're using CA on more than three devices' (or words to that effect).
I believe that they can still do this with Andriod, but are having problems with the iStuff as Apple don't want you to tie an app to a device. (that's how the problem was explained by PGPSW some time ago, I think, or something like that)
The idea was that you could not do what you are suggesting can be done. Are you sure that you can run CA on more than three Android devices?????
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Anyway, d'you mean I wouldn't be allowed to download lotsa stuff on your account?
Only if you have a ten foot one inch tablet.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: