Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom out - Garmin SatNav in
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom out - Garmin SatNav in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: TomTom out - Garmin SatNav in Reply with quote

Hi,

I've had TomTom's SatNavs for years but now wish to buy a Garmin but unsure which to get. Ideally a 5" or 6" would be best, can anyone suggest a good Garmin replacement for UK use and without using an additional aerial plugin for traffic.

I also have numerous personally created and specific TomTom "ov2" format POI's which are essential for use on any new device which I buy.

Is it possible to convert these TomTom "ov2" POI's and load them onto a new Garmin SatNav. ( I can't afford to abandon these POI's as they took years to compile and then convert to "ov2" )

Any help is welcomed

Regards,

John in the UK

Ooops! Forgot - Voice activated commands would be great and speaking directions
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin do produce quite a few units that meet all your requirements.

If you use the Garmin site to narrow your choice down by feature you will be able to create a shortlist.

Then post that here for our approval Laughing

From my own experiences though, aim for a unit with lifetime digital traffic.

I have been reading the disgust on the TT forum about the latest units not allowing certain categories of POI and TT staying quite tight lipped about whether they will appear in the future as an enhancement.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Garmin do produce quite a few units that meet all your requirements.

If you use the Garmin site to narrow your choice down by feature you will be able to create a shortlist.

Then post that here for our approval Laughing

From my own experiences though, aim for a unit with lifetime digital traffic.

I have been reading the disgust on the TT forum about the latest units not allowing certain categories of POI and TT staying quite tight lipped about whether they will appear in the future as an enhancement.

Hi Kremmen,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions, it is most welcomed. I've checked out Garmins website and to be honest there are so many great devices to choose from.

There is two listed a "NEW" from the website, and under "Premium" via the sidebar, it shows "The New nüvi® Series" 2559 LMT with real directions and I've seen an Amazon advertised Nuvi 2669 LMT-D. Both seem half decent by description but I'm a long term TT user as said previously, hence the need for 'guidance'. I do not use Europe anymore, just UK with Ireland occasionally.

It really p*sses me off that my long term compilations of personal ov2 POI / safety cameras etc are not available for transfer to their newish devices, and TYRE software created routes are only acceptable on some devices. I'm NOT pleased with TT, Garmin here I come, hopefully.

EDIT 1: I don't mind paying a few extra quid if necessary for the right Satnav, say the Nuvi 3598 LMT-D. Its earlier model the 3597 LMT-D has a review on Youtube, however it appears to have been changed in that video to the updated model 3598 LMT-D.

EDIT 2 Re: "Then post that here for our approval."

Yet another one. What's your opinion of the '2014 Garmin Advanced Series nüvi 6.0" I think the Garmin nuvi 2699LMT-D 6 falls into that group and seems to tick all my criteria boxes, I can get one for £199 brand new

Any help is appreciated from you

Cheers,

John in the UK

PS. Sorry for the edits, I'm still searching device criteria as you suggested

Last edited by johntee on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:04 am; edited 5 times in total
golfmaddad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use PoiEdit to convert your OV2 files to csv for the Garmin.
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

golfmaddad wrote:
You can use PoiEdit to convert your OV2 files to csv for the Garmin.

Hi golfmaddad,

Brilliant, I'm hopefully getting closer to my Garmin

The help I receive from our community is a real stepping stone to my achieving that.

I'll do a search for POIedit unless you can lead me in the right direction for getting it.

Thanks for your post,

John in the UK Smile

PS. Found it, cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: