Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Power issue with the 2599 - is this normal?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Power issue with the 2599 - is this normal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Power issue with the 2599 - is this normal? Reply with quote

I ook my Nuvi 2599 (The Halfords version of the 2598 I think) out in my wifes car.

I didn't have thr power lead, but she had one which she uses with her TomTom 930. I plugged it in and the Garmin immediately went into "Garmin Express" mode.

I tried everything i could think of to get it to do sat-nav when powered - no joy.

So, is this normal - it needs its own power lead and no other will do?

cheers

Alan
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can do that if you use a USB lead and not the ciggy socket lead as it sometimes thinks it's connected to a PC.

From memory, TT's have a third connected wire in the cable and maybe that is confusing it ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago I bought a usb connector for the car power point and it made my TT 530 think it was connected to the computer. Generally my usb connectors have never had such a problem, perhaps a problem with some cheap chinese sourced plugs?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Power issue with the 2599 - is this normal? Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
So, is this normal - it needs its own power lead and no other will do?

That's the long and short of it. However, some Garmins will allow you to plug any old charger into the 'cradle', rather than the device itself. I don't know - without googling - if your Nüvi has a cradle or not.

See this thread for more information.

»
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it doesn't have a cradle - the power lead plugs directly into the back of the Nuvi.

Thanks for the update. I may see if I can "hack" a lead which I can keep in the wifes car.

Alan
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to Garmin SatNav devices but familiar with TomTom to some extent.

I believe the TT cable is a pure USB cable with DATA leads connected so it can communicate with a PC and also act as a power source.

If you click on my personal BOX.net account link below ( no adverts or crap like that, I promise ) it will show you the lead configuration with all cable lead feeds.

https://app.box.com/s/9wp4yolwl5nvx9qkiw2u

I can only assume that certain Garmins have the DATA leads connections disconnected on the cable so it acts like a PURE power supply for the devices.

The ground lead on the cable is the 'Negative' supply and the 'RED' lead is Positive supply. The DATA leads are normally the two inner connections

I haven't purchased my first Garmin SatNav yet ( I've posted on this board for advice on purchasing the best one for my needs ) therefore I cannot confirm absolutely that my analogy above is correct. A simple multimeter or continuity tester on each end of the USB leads will give you the best answer.

I hope this is of assistance

Regards to all,

John in the UK
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to use a Garmin specific lead. It's possible that some others might work but it'll be on a trial and error basis. The alternative is just to purchase a standard Garmin power cord to keep in your wife's car.
johntee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
You need to use a Garmin specific lead. It's possible that some others might work but it'll be on a trial and error basis. The alternative is just to purchase a standard Garmin power cord to keep in your wife's car.

Hi sussamb,

YES, that's the best advice, a bog standard genuine Garmin lead is less than £20 and you'll know it will work.

Personally I have a cigar lighter feed and two 12v normal outlets + 2 x 5v USB feeds in my car so most bases are covered for me. Unfortunately the nearest cigar outlet is in the centre arm rest console. Obviously car designers never think of external satnav users who don't wish to trail cables or extensions half way around the car?

Cheers,

John
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntee wrote:

I believe the TT cable is a pure USB cable with DATA leads connected so it can communicate with a PC and also act as a power source.

I can only assume that certain Garmins have the DATA leads connections disconnected on the cable so it acts like a PURE power supply for the devices.

The USB power specifications now state that to indicate to a device that it can go into "fast charge" mode (and draw more current from the power supply) the two data pins of the USB are SHORTED TOGETHER, not disconnected.

There's quite a bit of confusion though, as many cheap power supplies only use two core cable for the USB connection and some manufacturers came up with their own standard with different resistors fitted to the data pins to indicate different charging states.

One easy way to check out your various chargers and leads is to connect them to a mobile phone. In the Battery settings page it usually tells you if it is in slow-charge ("USB charging") or fast-charge ("AC charging").
It won't sort out any ones with funny resistors but it does clear up a lot of the confusion.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: