Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 2598ltd - Black screen.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 2598ltd - Black screen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eezyrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 2598ltd - Black screen. Reply with quote

I've recently purchased a new 2598ltd. I used it 1st time this week for a trip to Belgium, approx. 475 miles mostly on m/way.

The unit works fine but the screen keeps going black. I've searched through the settings and the user manual to see if there's some sort of powersave but I can only find the timeout setting which I've set to never, without any success.

The screen goes black, sometimes completely black and other times you can just see the detail through the screen. When this happens the volume still works ie the spoken directions. There is no pattern for this, it's completely random and stays off for 5 or 10 minutes and often when directing me through a junction.

So, do I have a faulty unit?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it certainly shouldn't be doing that. I'd take it back. It's possible a master reset would resolve it but as it's new I'd insist on a replacement. It seems like it's possibly a loose connector between screen and video board.

I assume this wasn't happening at night, as the default setting is to dim at night time, but your issue doesn't sound like that.
eezyrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think it's going into 'nightdim' mode, the screen goes too dark to see the detail. And doesn't the colour change also in nightdim?

I've switched on, set a route and left it on the table and it's been on in full view so far for over an hour, working perfect. Mrs eezy thinks it might be something to do with the 12v power-come-traffic cable.

Although this is the first time I've used it, I actually bought the unit in June after the announcement my old Nuvi would only be updated twice a year. I'm thinking I might have difficulty exchanging the unit and if a tech puts it on the bench, like I just did, and it keeps working, I might have a problem.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's a years warranty ... Wink

I agree, I don't think it's the night dim mode either ... think I implied that Wink
eezyrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After further investigation I think the missus is at least half right.

I switched it on and plugged it in to my mains charger. If the screen is bright it changes to dim and if the screen is dim it changes to bright. So it seems like there is a definite problem caused by it being on charge.

Thanks for your advice.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dim is different to completely black though ... if it is going completely black something is wrong.
eezyrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in the car it goes completely black most of the time but on the mains charger it doesn't go completely black just dim.

Anyway just got on to Amazon where it came from and within 5 minutes it was replaced, no questions asked, a new one on the way Very Happy

At least the thread may be of benefit to someone else. Thanks again
eezyrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having researched further on the net it seems there is a problem if the auto time checkbox is unticked. The auto time on mine would not show correct time (5 hours out) and I had to set it manually. Did this a few times but it would not hold correct time with auto checkbox ticked.

It seems if the auto is not set the unit becomes confused and goes into 'nightdim' at any time. I don't think that's entirely the problem with mine but worth knowing.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eezyrider wrote:
Anyway just got on to Amazon where it came from and within 5 minutes it was replaced, no questions asked, a new one on the way Very Happy

Good to know, hopefully you'll have more luck with the replacement Very Happy
eezyrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update,

New replacement arrived, tested on the road and working fine. So it seems like it was a faulty unit.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Post back with any problems. Lots of folks here happy to help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: