Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Poor contrast on Nuvi 2598
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor contrast on Nuvi 2598

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Poor contrast on Nuvi 2598 Reply with quote

Do other folk find the daytime contrast on the 25xx series rather lacking?

The actual screen detail is rather better than was the case on either my 660 or 760 but I find the colour saturation to be severely lacking. This means that the screen needs to be aimed directly at the driver giving the passenger/ navigator a far more restricted view.
Also, in France and Spain recently, I noticed that secondary roads have their road number as white text on a yellow rectangle - not an inspired choice by the software developers.

I have tried twice putting in a support request to Garmin Europe suggesting that a future software update might be considered to seek to improve the contrast/saturation of colours on the screen. So far I have had two responses that can only be described as facile or inane where the support staff have clearly not read my comments.

I'm interested in the views of other users. I don't think that I have a duff unit - but it is just possible.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree my 2508 is different to my 1490, which has more vivid colours, but I don't find any problem using it. You could try one of the other Map themes to see if you find one better suited to you.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I agree my 2508 is different to my 1490, which has more vivid colours, but I don't find any problem using it. You could try one of the other Map themes to see if you find one better suited to you.

I have not yet found a theme that improves the contrast. The problem arises when the sun is shining brightly in our motorhome.
Oh and trying to change theme was the only helpful thing that garmin support suggested!

PS I have just been through every one of the themes. Suomi gives a very marginal improvement in contrast/saturation witha darker green for countryside. However, D roads in France are labelled white on yellow for every one of the themes. (I turned off GPS and Set Location to a suitable site.

Last edited by inspiredron on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe (though I've never seen them) that you can get 'sun shades' for satnavs, which I guess might help?

A quick search throws up this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=sat+nav+sun+shade&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=43220405437&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8493813012584127178&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3tpyskto3q_b
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - nice idea but does not solve the white on yellow - only a software update can deal with that. Would you not expect that if background colour was yellow or white then foreground would be black?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I was concentrating on your sun problem.

I've never had an issue in France with the 'white on yellow'. You could always make your suggestion here http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - just posted this to that site:
I have a nuvi 2598 which is a great advance on my previous nuvi 660 and nuvi 760. However screen contrast is much less than on earlier models and colour saturation is also less. Both make visibility more difficult when there are high ambent light levels. Also certain notifications use very poor foreground and background colur combinations - for example in France and Spain secondary roads have yellow rectangles with white text to show the road number against a predominantly white screen. This makes the information almost totally illegible. Can these two related aspects be addressed in a future software update please. I have penned a support ticket to Garmin Europe who do not seem to understand the problem.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree

I found the dark blues and greens far more pleasing and easier to view.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: the satnav visor. FWIW

I bought a generic one from Amazon. My view is that "universal fit" means it doesn't fit anything. They're pretty flimsy too.

It is not an exact fit on my 5" Garmin. There's nothing to locate the visor accurately on the SatNav. It's held on by a simple spring clip and needs to be aligned by eye. It does not not lock on sufficiently securely and it slides about as the car bumps about.

It would work OK if it was secure.

If I were going to buy one today, I would look for a Garmin shade specific to your model which would fit exactly - if such a thing exists.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohnD wrote:
RE: the satnav visor. FWIW

If I were going to buy one today, I would look for a Garmin shade specific to your model which would fit exactly - if such a thing exists.

... or make my own out of a piece of cardboard and some Blue Tac!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: