Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI help needed for a Garmin newbie please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI help needed for a Garmin newbie please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: POI help needed for a Garmin newbie please Reply with quote

just getting my nuvi 2508 up and running having only had tomtoms before.
i have got my custom poi 'customer' database on the unit (i think) having converted it to .csv from .ov2 although not sure if the .bmp have transferred over as well?
anyhow my questions are:
1. with tomtom poi if i attended a new customer i could tap on my device and add this customer to my unit's 'customer' poi category by using add poi and tapping my location. i cannot see how to do similar with the garmin. could someone enlighten me how to add extra poi's to existing categories on the garmin unit please directly on the road so to speak.

2. having installed (i think!) the pgpsw camera database how do i remove the built in garmin ones to stop them duplicating the warnings.

3. could someone explain how i can disable the annoying restaurant and atm etc built in poi icons from displaying constantly on the map whilst driving along.

4. how do you do a full windows backup of this device please?

many thanks in advance.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Are you confusing terminology? I think TT use 'POI' where Garmin use 'Favorites'. If I misunderstand you I apologise. To add a location just tap the screen to enter browse mode, then tap again and a flag should appear. Tap the flag and the address will come p, to save it tap the 3 bar icon top left then Save.

2. To delete the Garmin ones connect to PC and delete them from the POI folder.

3. Settings, Map and Vehicle, Map Layers, untick 'Places along the road'

4. Set your 2508 to mass storage mode:

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
3. The Developers Screen will pop up
4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
6. Shut down NUVI and connect to PC
7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

As an alternative to step 1 above, you can bring up the Nuvi's "dashboard" screen, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen.

Set Windows to show hidden AND system files. Now all your nuvi should be visible including the important .system folder. Just drag and drop the lot to wherever you want to save it.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your reply.
I thought garmin also referred to custom poi's.
1. Basically if I want to add to this custom category whist in the car how do I add a new place to this category. On tomtom you could go to settings- manage poi- add poi ( then select your poi category and then select your present location. You could then name that location whatever you wanted and it would be saved in your custom poi's.
2. When you explain how to remove the restaurant icons from the screen does that also remove all the other icons (petrol stations, ATMs etc) as I would like to keep some on there I just want to be able to choose which ones?
Again thanks for your help and patience.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First 2.

To customise Up Ahead just tap one of them, then hit the spanner icon that appears top left.

Now 1.

Garmin has both POIs and Favourites. POIs though are either part of the map data or loaded as separate files, for example the PGPSW speed camera files.

Places you simply enter appear in Favourites, you should see that listed when you tap Where to, they appear in the middle right of the screen. To save your present location tap the icon that represents your position. A page will come up stating where you are, and the nearest hospitals, police stations etc. Tap the save icon and that will save it. Enter a name and it will be added to favorites. To edit it, for example to assign it to a category, it's the same as all favourites, select it in Favourites, tap the i icon, then the 3 bar icon top left.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: which voicepack for nuvi 2508 Reply with quote

many thanks again for the tips.
i will give that a go when out today. would you know if i need .wav or .mp3 camera voice alert pack for this device?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I never bother with the voice packs.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also moved from TT to Garmin. What a disaster. However as TT no longer allows custom POIs, for those of us that use custom POIs, we have no choice other than garmin.

TT allowed you to select which of the added custom POIs appear on the map, with garmin, it is all or nothing. If you want your custom POIs displayed on the map, you also have to put up with it showing the ones garmin insist we also see, knives & forks, petrol stations, macdonalds etc.

I have mucked about with 'up ahead' and tried setting them to obscure items, in an effort to loose macdonalds, knives & forks etc, but to no avail.

There is no way to add a new custom poi location to a poi category, the only way is to add it manually to the csv file and then reload the POIs onto the garmin.

Yeah adding favourites to the garmin is a pain too, just not intuitive. same as trying to view the map, one has to poke the top of the screen, then the three bars on the left then select map! It is the same with trying to do anything with the garmin, it is just such a pain compared to a TT.

Also with TT you could easily select quickest, shortest, limited speed route for each journey (sometimes nice to take the 'shortest' scenic route) with garmin, I can find no way of (easily) doing this without having to about with the settings before each journey.

If anybody could tell me how to 'not avoid road closed' on the garmin? I would be grateful.
The A322 in Woking is closed & the diversion route is fine, no hold up at all, however garmin insists on routing me miles out of the way, via Guildford & the A3 to get back to the M25.

The plus points of the garmin of course are the lane assist, fantastic in the Wandsworth one way system and the junction pictures for motorways.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbley wrote:
for those of us that use custom POIs, we have no choice other than garmin.
Yes there is. A cheapo Chinese satnav for about £35 with iGO on it. Very customisable re POIs etc. and if you are bold, you can change the appearance and if you are really clever, you can change the appearance considerably. Only problem is, no traffic if that concerns you.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but I am not very clever

I have looked at the cheapies on ebay, have thought about getting one to play with, but they seem too cheap, how can they offer lifetime map updates at that price?

I do like the traffic, it quite often saves me joining a blocked M25.

I think we need Sussamb to give us a masterclass on using garmin sat navs. I have been trying to work out how to add favourites to mine (TT is so easy) but not been brave enough to ask (see first line above)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbley wrote:
I have looked at the cheapies on ebay, have thought about getting one to play with, but they seem too cheap, how can they offer lifetime map updates at that price?
Well, they do, and they work. My mate has just bought one for about £35 and I have had one for quite a while. You don't have to be anywhere near as clever to get our speedcams onto iGO as you do getting them onto a Garmin. Just copy the .txt file into a folder on the device and away you go. Simples Very Happy
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbley wrote:
I think we need Sussamb to give us a masterclass on using garmin sat navs. I have been trying to work out how to add favourites to mine (TT is so easy) but not been brave enough to ask (see first line above)

For route Options when you select a location look at the line at the bottom, on the right is th Go button but on the left Routes ... tap that and your GPS will calculate up to 3 routes for you to choose, and display them on the map, colour of the route corresponding to the colour of the box that displays distance and ETA ... just select which you want.

To save a location as a favourite assuming you've typed in an address Hit the i in the middle, then the 3 bar icon then Save.

If you know the location just tap the map. A flag will appear with the details in a bar at the bottom. Tap that then the 3 bar icon and Save.

Hope that helps.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbley wrote:
If anybody could tell me how to 'not avoid road closed' on the garmin? I would be grateful.
The A322 in Woking is closed & the diversion route is fine, no hold up at all, however garmin insists on routing me miles out of the way, via Guildford & the A3 to get back to the M25.

When this happens you should get a symbol top right of screen, tap it then you can select the original route. Can't recall exactly how this works as it's only happened to me once and AFAIK it's not documented anywhere.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also affected by the closure of the A320, past McLarens near Woking down to Ottershaw and even the local diversion boards were not the best route but they had to cater for HGV's etc.
I had to do some local homework and decided on the route past Fairoaks and down Phillpot lane to be the best.

I can understand how SatNavs can't be this precise. Once you do take a diversion they do soon seem to realise where you are and offer better solutions.

Reading above I was not aware that TomTom had stoped allowing custom POI's - so no more OV2 safety cameras ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: