Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 2597-5 Issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 2597-5 Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsme2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 2597-5 Issues Reply with quote

This unit has a boatload of nice features but is lacking one important function and it sometimes provides flawed turn data. These problems may be deal killers for me (I'm still evaluating). I have owned a number of GPS's over the last 15 years.

This unit lacks a Recalculate Yes/No Notification function. I am accustomed to and rely substantially on this valuable function. Once you use this function you won't want to be without it. Without this function if you miss a route turn the unit quietly recalculates your route without notification which potentially can add many extra and unnecessary miles to your route without you realizing it.

I am sometimes getting turn notifications too late from this unit to safely make a turn and in one instance yesterday I did not get a turn notification until after the turn point was passed. I don't recall this ever happening with my prior GPS's.

On a recent route the unit did a good job of completing a route one way but failed to provide turn data for several miles on the return, never had this happen with other units. I am using the NA 2014.40 map set which is the latest version.

I'm trying to like this unit but it is a mixed bag and may not survive the cut with me.

How are others here dealing with these issues?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well apart from the silent 'recalculating' issue mine hasn't given me any problems. Always seems to warn in plenty of time.

The silent 'recalc' was introduced by Garmin as many users complained they didn't want the voice telling them it was 'recalculating'. So I suspect you're in the minority there.
itsme2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Well apart from the silent 'recalculating' issue mine hasn't given me any problems. Always seems to warn in plenty of time.

The silent 'recalc' was introduced by Garmin as many users complained they didn't want the voice telling them it was 'recalculating'. So I suspect you're in the minority there.

My last Garmin had the option of turning the Recalculate Yes/No Notification function On or Off. Those that have never used this optional function can't appreciate it. I agree that it could be annoying to some not accustomed to it's function especially if it couldn't be turned off. Now we're being forced into an off route recalculation when it may not be wanted by the user.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that would be good but in common with others Garmin is constantly dumbing down its range.
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I certainly dont miss it! Used to drive me nuts Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: