Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - From Nuvi 1390 to Nuvi 3597, worth the upgrade?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

From Nuvi 1390 to Nuvi 3597, worth the upgrade?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fointe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: From Nuvi 1390 to Nuvi 3597, worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

Hello. I have used my Nuvi 1390 since 2010 and I have served me well. By "well" I am not saying that it doesn't has it's flaws: somehow low OS, first satellite finding taking too much and not so sharp nor fast screen responsiveness.
I am interested at the Nuvi 3597. Do you think it's worth an upgrade from my 1390? The HD screen looks beautiful but how good does it stands directly at the sun? When I try to use my iPhone on a sunny day it's almost impossible to watch the screen. I haven't had any problem in that aspect with my 1390. Being that the 3597 screen looks more like an iPhone/smartphone one does it have the same problems or does it actually performs better than the 1390?
Are the streets drawings, calculating/recalculating and searching faster than the 1390? How about finding the satellites? I love how easy and convenient the 3597 hooks up to the windshield charger instead of the 1390.
Do you think I'll see a real and practical improvement over my 1390 with the 3597? Thank you a lot!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1490 for years and moved to a 2508 about six months ago. Apart from one small point the 2508 is far better IMO. I have no personal knowledge of the 3597 but most seem happy with that model also, though if you can I would suggest you get the 3598 ... the digital traffic on my 2508 is far better than the 'non digital'.

There are numerous threads here about the 3597/8 ... I assume you've read them?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. If only for the better traffic.

the bonus my 2597 gives is the voice control. It seems quite sensitive even though the unit is well out of arms reach for me.

I'm surprised some radio wag hasn't started saying 'voice command' over the radio to get all our units standing by for teh next command Laughing
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Fointe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses. So I guess if traffic is not an issue to me (I am tourist who will be using said GPS for 6 days in Miami) I'd better stick with my current GPS? Have any of you experienced a faster satellite find between Nuvi GPSs?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you finding it slow when you move elsewhere? If so this is because the GPS needs to learn where it is. This process is faster if you leave it stationary with a clear view of the sky.
Fointe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Are you finding it slow when you move elsewhere? If so this is because the GPS needs to learn where it is. This process is faster if you leave it stationary with a clear view of the sky.

Basically my problem is acquiring the satellite for the first time in every location I have try it. The location varies from state to state (USA) but it's ALWAYS in the car rental section of the airport, that yes, it's always in an enclosed place. The problem is that once I manage to get out of said location and I'm on the highway, with the GPS duly powered on via the car socket, it take almost 15 minutes to acquire the satellite. It means that I have not studied the way to my hotel before I'll be "blind" travelling through the roads.

That's why I wondered if newer/faster/powerful GPS have managed to acquire satellites faster.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All GPS devices take a lot longer to lock on if you have changed location AND are moving. Stop moving. Find a safe place to stop with a clear sky and let it lock on before moving off again.

Last edited by M8TJT on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really your problem ... without a signal it can't update where it is. Once you drive out and are moving it takes longer for a GPS to do that.

As I posted you'll get a faster lock if you stop where the GPS has a good view of the sky so it can update itself. There's really no shortcut to that and if you just drive away it will always take a while.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call that one a draw then sussamb Very Happy
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Least we said the same Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the same time and in harmony almost.
Fointe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both M8TJT and sussamb for the tips. I will do that. Thankfully the problem is only at the first sattellite acquiring because once it is done, during my stay, no matter if I disconnect the GPS all nights, the following day the GPS find the satellites way faster. The reason for this is because the GPS now have learnt that I'm in the same geographic area (e.g. Florida) even tough one day I can be in one hotel and the other day in another hotel within the same area?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way it works. Roughly speaking, once it knows where you are, data from the satellites stored in the GPS device now knows which ones to 'look' for and where they will be so does not take long to 'find' them.

To start with, after a big move or long switch off time, it doesn't know which sats it has to 'look for', and if you are moving as well, it just makes it a lot more difficult to 'triangulate' your new position.

Very simplistically, your device works by calculating your distance from at least three satellites. So it calculates the first, calculates the second, calculates the third, but when it goes to compare all three, the first and second distances are no longer valid because you have moved since it first calculated them. I'm surprised that it can get a lock at all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: