Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Daft Question?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Daft Question?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunty1948 wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
Bunty1948 wrote:
I have checked them on the submissions site and they appear to be correctly configured as to location and direction.
Direction does not make any difference to TT. It's whether the cam is on the road that you are on or not. The TT can be fooled if the 'other' cam is too close 'to the road that you are on'.
Sorry but I have obviously not explained myself correctly.
You explained yourself most concisely, and I fully understood what you meant without the re-iteration. I answered your question in exactly the same manner as DennisN has done subsequently.
Quote:
The A19 is a dual carriageway and almost all of the PGPSW camera sites have a direction and carriageway identification, so as I travel northbound only the southbound facing cameras on the the northbound carriageway trigger a response from my Tom Tom. !
Firstly, I repeat, the TT does not make use of the directional information stored against the PGPSW cams. The problem that you are having is a well known and well documented (on this site) TomTom 'feature', about which, nothing can be done to improve the situation unless TT start using camera directional data. But as they seem to be phasing out the ability to add third party POIS all together, this seems unlikely.

EDIT: If you post the cam numbers that are giving the problem, MaFt might move them slightly to try to avoid the problem in future.

EDIT2. Sorry, I crossed with MaFt.
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
We have directional data but TomTom do not allow us to use it.

Any 'directional' alerts you get on your tomtom from our database are purely a result of TomTom's "warn only when on route" algorithm, it DOES NOT make any use of our directional data.

Hope that makes sense?

MaFt

MaFt and Dennis

Sorry if I have confused the issue but I'll try to make my question a little clearer. I am using a TT 1005 Live.
There are two mobile camera sites on the A19 Thirsk Bypass.
155957 on the northbound & 159750 on the southbound. Now when I pass these sites I can see both icons on the screen but only the appropriate site gives me a voice warning. It does not matter which direction I am travelling I only get a voice warning for the appropriate camera site.

Between Thirsk and Crathorne there are a number of sites on both carriageways and again whilst I can see all of the icons on the TT I only get warnings for those mobile sites on my side of the road and in the direction that I am travelling. I assume this is because they are on my navigation route and that both carriageways of the A19 are being treated as seperate roads.

Now near Crathorne there are two further mobile sites 11400 NB and 96613 SB. Now when I pass these sites both both cameras give me an audible warning no matter in which direction I travel.

Having checked the PGPSW camera submission page, both of these sites appear to be on the appropriate carriageway and also showing the correct direction of travel. However they also give audible warnings in both directions of travel.

I'd like to make it clear that I am in no way complaining or criticizing the system it's just that as an old engineer I am curious as to why they should behave differently. On a similar vein as I approach the A1130 on the A19 I also get warnings for mobile sites on the A1130 even though my route is to continue further north on the A19 without using the A1130. Again I'm simply curious not complaining.

Alan
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an ordinary (single carriageway) road it's possible that the camera POI could be placed to one side of the road rather than directly on it, yet you would still want to be warned of this as "on route".

So, when looking for on route POIs, the TomTom algorithm looks some distance either side of the road you are actually travelling on.

When you have a dual carriageway, on some (but not all) occasions, POIs on the opposite side of the road fall within the boundaries searched by this TomTom algorithm.

This will depend on how close the carriageways are on the map, and the exact location of the POI concerned.

Does this make sense now?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something you have to bear in mind when thinking about the POI warnings is not that they are for a camera but they are for a McDonalds. You don't need an alert for a camera on the opposite side but an alert for a Maccy D's on the opposite side would be fine with a quick turn around.

If you have "warn on route" set, a POI on the opposite side can give a warning if it's not too much out of the way to get there. If "warn on route" is not set, you'll likely get warnings for all on the opposite side.

Personally, I'd say to NOT have all the camera POIs showing on the map as this can slow down the refresh rate. If you just have the warnings, you'll see them on the map at the time. This is completely separate to to thread though.

Gerry
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunty1948 wrote:
I'd like to make it clear that I am in no way complaining or criticizing the system it's just that as an old engineer I am curious as to why they should behave differently. On a similar vein as I approach the A1130 on the A19 I also get warnings for mobile sites on the A1130 even though my route is to continue further north on the A19 without using the A1130. Again I'm simply curious not complaining.

Alan

I don't think any of us thought you were complaining, I certainly thought you were intrigued and curious. Having looked at them on the submission map, I have to conclude "It's just one of those things"! GerryC mentioned McDonalds as the example where the TT will (hopefully) always warn of the presence of a POI, which is what our cameras are - A POI is a POI, is a POI to the computer thingy inside the TT. In this case, I suspect (without any proof at all) that what you are getting is a stretch of TT mapping which has the two carriageways well separated in one location and not well separated in another. Where they are well separated (i.e. the mapping lines or whatever), the TT cannot see the other carriageway "when on route", but does see it where the separation is poor.

For your comfort regarding cameras on side roads, I get warned for both 30 and 40mph cameras in Slough as I charge past on the M4 (and in many other places).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

I don't think any of us thought you were complaining, I certainly thought you were intrigued and curious. Having looked at them on the submission map, I have to conclude "It's just one of those things"! GerryC mentioned McDonalds as the example where the TT will (hopefully) always warn of the presence of a POI, which is what our cameras are - A POI is a POI, is a POI to the computer thingy inside the TT. In this case, I suspect (without any proof at all) that what you are getting is a stretch of TT mapping which has the two carriageways well separated in one location and not well separated in another. Where they are well separated (i.e. the mapping lines or whatever), the TT cannot see the other carriageway "when on route", but does see it where the separation is poor.

For your comfort regarding cameras on side roads, I get warned for both 30 and 40mph cameras in Slough as I charge past on the M4 (and in many other places).

Thanks Dennis

That explains what's happening, I'll now leave you all alone and let you rest in a darkened room. At least it's not just me and not something that I have done.

Again Many Thanks

Alan
old_user_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: TomTom Reply with quote

If you have the (warning) distance set on your TomTom at Say 1000mtrs it may well pick up Cameras on a nearby roads that has a camera location.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: