Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Database errors?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Database errors?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dc1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Database errors? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am running PGPSW from my Android mobile by downloading the CameraAlert App. I am not yet a subscriber here so am using the out of date database available from the Play store download (I don't know how old this is).

My plan is just to test it a bit before I subscribe however however I have recieved a few false warnings already and don't now if these are typical errors or if they are just due to the database being out of data.

For example, I have had 30mph warnings on the M11 and also 40mph limits on the A14 that have been incorrect.

Should I expect these to be corrected in the up to date database, or are these the sort of errors that are always present?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to understand why you can't answer that question yourself Rolling Eyes
dc1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Your answer doesnt make sense...

Are these errors typical of the full up to date database or is it just due to the fact it is out of date? I cant imagine the M11 was ever down to 30mph.

I assume your criptic answer suggests these error are normal place?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope ...

An out of date database is out of date, simples really Wink

As for whether there are ever ANY mistakes in an up to date database, again I think logic says there are bound to be some. My experience though is that they are few and far between. The great thing about the PGPSW database though is that if you, as a subscriber, spot an error it could well earn you a years subscription Very Happy
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the download from the Play Store is either 2007 or 2009.
I may be wrong but if you register your device to your PgpsW account Don't you get one free, up to date download and then have to pay if you want further downloads?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than just trying to glibly blame an old database which is almost certainly not what is causing your problem (but might just be contributing to it), I'll give you a list of the cams on the M11 A41 that could be causing the 'problems' that you are having. The ones that I have indicated as 'Old' are not in the current database, but could possibly be in your evaluation copy.
The way CA works is by looking ahead of you within a cone. Any cams within that cone are listed, but only those that have a direction such as to 'catch' you cause an alert. So those cams on 'the other side of the road' do not alert.

As the camera detection is a cone in front of you, and CA has no concept of your route, those cams that are close to the road that you are on will also alert, but on the M11/A41 can be discounted if they are at 30/40mph.

There is also the case of 'in the database' mobile sites (often on overbridges). The mobile camera will almost never actually be there, so you will get an alert for a non-present camera. This is not an error, but warns you about a site that may have a mobile in attendance.

Old 30mph mobile close to M11 on the A414
Old 40mph mobile close to the M11 by the A120
Old 30mph mobile close to the M11 by Elsenham
Several current 30mph mobiles close to the M11 at Newport
Old 30mph mobile close to the M11 at Duxford
Current 40mph mobile very close to M11 at Cambridge
Two current 30mph mobile on close to A41 either side of Godmanchester
dc1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed reply M8TJT.

I too think it is the nearby sites that are casuing the problem, with the 'cone effect' as you say.

In the app there are lots of options to change the angles, e.g. the shape of the cone... Is there any recomnedations from this site of the best settings to use to avoid any false warnings of this type?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just so happens that I drove up the M11/A41 on Tues and came back Fri, so I know abt the cams to which you refer.

I use the default settings. You can narrow the cone at a risk of loosing cameras that are 'just round the bend' that catch you as you 'just come round the bend' and you can tighten the comparison angle between your 'heading' and the camera's 'heading' but this will possibly also loose cameras 'just round the bend'
Others might have different settings that they might share with you.

Did you find the average speed readout useful on the A14? Strange how a 70mph zone slows everyone to 60mph. I wonder it this was an intended outcome.
dc1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i did seem to be the fastest on the road even though i was doing well under 70mph.

Another question out of interest you or another may be able to help with, looking at the format on a GPX file it only has long/lat coordinates. How the does direction control work as it doesnt specify which way it is facing?

Any explantion on how this works with a dinlge set of coordinates only.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy answer. CA does not use a 'standard' GPX file. The only software that I know of that can use third party data in a 'directional' manner is iGO based. That does not us a GPX file either. It is a CSV file with Lon, Lat, Speed, Cam type, heading and direction type (one way, 2 way or Omni directional).
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you register your device you will get a one-shot update to the database so you can test it fully with the most recent data.

Go to 'settings' then 'manage cameras' and that will prompt you to register in order to download the free update.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: