Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POIs in iOS 6 Maps App
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POIs in iOS 6 Maps App

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: POIs in iOS 6 Maps App Reply with quote

You know, I always thought that creating POI locations based on their postcodes was bad but Apple seem to have upped the stakes somewhat!

It's like they are guessing the location for POIs based on the road name and town!

Roy Dykes (19 Market Hall, Low Street, BD21) appears on Market Street, BD13.

There are numerous POIs on James Street in BD13 that should be on James Street in BD1.

Yes, OK, you can submit changes to them but there are that many I have given up already...

The app itself is actually very good - it has topography, you can adjust the angles using 2 finger swipes and rotate the map easily etc, but the POIs are very, very poor. I'm guessing that they got the map data from TomTom but didn't bother with POIs - even TomTom's aren't this bad!!

We really need everyone with iOS6 devices to remind people to use our mobile POI site! http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/mobilepoi

MaFt

PS - yes, I do live in BD13 Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the 'Plantain Tropical Food and Drink' POI has a petrol pump for it's icon... Confused
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been reading some of the stupid responses on the Modmyi site. Seem that if you are in america your experience of ios6 maps is quite different to Europe. I personally can't believe how woefully inadequate this app is. Even found a BBC article on it. here.

They also seem to be using the really old google images as there are no high definition images around bagshot.

As for topo mapping, check this out!!! Shocked

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: POIs in iOS 6 Maps App Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

We really need everyone with iOS6 devices to remind people to use our mobile POI site! http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/mobilepoi

I know, thank goodness for PocketGPSWorld, with my IOS6 device now "locked" with no custom POIs all I have are the Camera App running in the background and the mobilepoi site/app.

Anyway the more middle age I get the slower I seem to drive Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: