Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic Traffic and Server Stability
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic Traffic and Server Stability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ascarr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Sygic Traffic and Server Stability Reply with quote

I bought into the Sygic app for Android last week after having a good play with the free trial. Whilst the app itself looks great and on its own seems to work well, the broader service and reliability of Sygic themselves seems terrible. I subscribed to the western Europe map set and the traffic update service. In the last 24 hours I have had no connection to their server so no ability to download the maps I've paid for and no traffic. I'm off on a long drive today so Sygic have completely failed me.

Their actual website is up and down like a yoyo and I've had no response to questions from online support (when I could actually Login) or via their twitter account.

Does anybody know if Sygic are generally like this or are they having a terrible week? Seems that if you offer a service you expect customers to pay for you need to build in resiliance to support that service otherwise you're nothing more than a hobby outfit.

I really hope they are having a bad week but my gut is telling me I should have gone with copilot or waited for tomtom on android.

Interested to hear of other peoples experience.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked. Website up, but seems loke traffic server is down, will not connect (Incorrect username/ password but it isn't). Don't know how common this is, but I havn't had a problem before but only just got the app a few days ago.

I have asked a couple of questions and they have been answered within hours by staff.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Sygic now for 3 years and have never had the problem. Mind you I don't use traffic. But I have never had a problem downloading maps. And I have just tried downloading a map and it is doing so now as I type.

How are you try getting the maps? It has recently changed. You now go into menu, my sygic, and then manage maps. I had a quick flash notification about log in failed or something but I just ignored it and kept going.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right there, I'm certain that the map download is done through Google Play, so obviously connection to that is no prob in your case. Traffic is done through a Sygic server which is where the OP is having his second problem. I can't get traffic either, well couldn't when I tried before Sad
ascarr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map downloads are done within the app. Google play gives you the app framework and a high level overview map but not the detailed road maps. You go into My Sygic within the app then download the country maps you have paid for.

This is the bit that was really frustating as I couldn't connect so couldn't download the map I needed combined with the fact I had no taffic also this morning really made my blood boil.

Everything looks to be ok at the moment and Sygic have finally acknowledged there is an ongoing problem on their support forum but the fact there was no ongoing communication was terrible. Why can these people get the childs play basics right? A quick post via their twitter account would have at least informed some of their customers of an ongoing problem and offerred some assurance.

Sygic is on a first and final warning from my perspective!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think that they are uncommunicative, try TomTom Twisted Evil
ascarr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom aren't great but a well worded letter of complaint got me in a conference call will their technical director and head of customer services 2 years ago. A full written apology and 2 years free live traffic camera and map updates, plus a new device followed.

Some may say I have unreasonably high expectations. My reply is I expect the service promised when I paid for it. I wouldn't expect anything less of my own customers/clients at work and won't accept anything less when I'm spending my own money.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as their servers are back up and have been for some time, have you got your maps and traffic connection? It's not bad when it works. Or perhaps you aught to write them a well worded letter Twisted Evil
ascarr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the maps and traffic is working. As I said in The OP the app looks good, some of the routing seems a little sub optimal but it looks so far for me to be the best of the bunch, room for improvemnt but they look willing to listen to suggestions from long standing users.

However reliability of service is the big thing for me. Such a major failure in the first few days of me using the product has set a poor overall first impression which wasn't helped by comete lack of customer comms.

Hopefully I won't need to write the letter I hold out hope that I'll be using Sygic to navigate me on a 5k road trip in the US next year but I want to have confidence in a product well before if fly out.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Map downloads are done within the app

My Sygic actually has another app called Sygic Downloader to download maps.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest update did away with the separate app.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: