Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Licence Protection!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Licence Protection!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxy_Jr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Licence Protection!! Reply with quote

Firstly, great site chaps! Lots of really useful information and the camera database invaluable!

My reason for posting is that I have over the last couple of months picked up some careless points and fines from police speed traps. Not vans, cameras etc. but face to face by laser armed police.

I am trying to decide on a detector which would best suit my uses, I currently do in the region of 40k miles a year and have 6 points now, mainly through preventable events! My livelyhood depends on my ability to drive.

I have already updated the camera database on my Nissan Connect system and update as and when required. But need some extra protection from the laser systems.....

I am new to this game and would like to get as much advice on the best system for my uses. Are jammers an option? Is gps the way to go bearing in mind i already use the database? How effective are the laser detectors and how much notice do they give of a trap comming up? Any advice would be greatly received.

Cheers, Jr.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laser detectors are no use to you - EVEN IF they work, they are only going to tell you that you have ALREADY been painted by a laser.

Far better to simply practise driving within the speed limits.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Licence Protection!! Reply with quote

Foxy_Jr wrote:
I am new to this game and would like to get as much advice on the best system for my uses. Are jammers an option? Is gps the way to go bearing in mind i already use the database? How effective are the laser detectors and how much notice do they give of a trap comming up? Any advice would be greatly received.

Laser detectors are a complete waste of time. They don't work full stop. Jammers are a grey area and you're asking for trouble if you install one. Although technically not unlawful to own and have fitted, If caught using one to defeat a laser speed measurement, Police will seek a prosecution.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I currently do in the region of 40k miles a year and have 6 points now, mainly through preventable events! My livelyhood depends on my ability to drive.
Control of right foot comes to mind. Stop it!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
Quote:
I currently do in the region of 40k miles a year and have 6 points now, mainly through preventable events! My livelyhood depends on my ability to drive.
Control of right foot comes to mind. Stop it!

I have done 73K miles since 1st August 2010 and have no points due to control of right foot.

mchu6am4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but i'm with the OP, unfortunately, from time to time the right foot can go down a little too much unintentionally or you may not realise the speed limit changes from high to low or be unaware of what the road limit is for a particular road and feel he would appreciate any advise about anything further the OP can use to help him.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP already uses a database (he didn't say which one). He was asking about a laser detector and got some good advice that they are not worth having. Let me explain a little further.
1. The detector will not detect a laser unless it is switched on and pointing at you.
2.A laser speed gun takes about on third of a second to accurately measure your speed.
You work it out if they are any good or not.

As Darren said, the use of a jammer would almost 100% get you a fine considerably larger than the one for 'drifting a bit over the speed limit'

I think that the OP's question has been fully answered.

As to your
Quote:
from time to time the right foot can go down a little too much unintentionally or you may not realise the speed limit changes from high to low or be unaware of what the road limit is for a particular road
, perhaps a bit more attention and looking out of the window would work. It works for me. My three points came by reason of fairly blatently ignoring the speed limit, not by 'just drifting over it' thus picking up the fine for 36 in a 30 zone and I'm certain that the majority of speeding tickets are issued for the same reason.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the OP as well. It is easy to get caught out, if driving on strange roads.
What I do is to download this PGPSW database every week (so I am always using the latest data).
I include the mobiles and the pmobiles, so I know where they might be.
And I use Ash10's camera manager with voice warnings.

Dales.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:34 wrote:

I have ...

mchu6am4 Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:06 wrote:
I'm sorry ...

Holy thread resurrection, Robin!!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Last edited by JockTamsonsBairn on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is NOT easy to get caught out
M8TJT wrote:
My three points came by reason of fairly blatently ignoring the speed limit, not by 'just drifting over it
At last, we have someone who is honest about his ticket. All the rest of you are not on this planet. You can NOT speed inadvertently - because your speedometers are deliberately reading higher than your true speed. When M8TJT was caught doing 36, I'm sure his speedo was reading at least 40. He says blatantly ignoring the limit and so are the rest of you. And how can anyone claim innocently not knowing the limit because it's an unfamiliar road? If it's unfamiliar, why the hell aren't you paying EXTRA attention?

I'm no saint, but I've now done something around or over one million miles as a self employed whitevanman for the last 13 years and I have not had one single speeding ticket. The OP's job depends on driving. So does mine. If you're a professional driver, drive professionally, not like a daft teenager with his first motor!

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
It is NOT easy to get caught out. At last, we have someone who is honest about his ticket. All the rest of you are not on this planet. [snip] When M8TJT was caught doing 36, I'm sure his speedo was reading at least 40.
About 38-39 actually, definitely not 40. My speedo is not that far out
Quote:
And how can anyone claim innocently not knowing the limit because it's an unfamiliar road? If it's unfamiliar, why the hell aren't you paying EXTRA attention?
It was familliar and I wasn't, but I did see Mr plod at about the time he got me, so I was paying some sort of attention I suppose but it was far too late to do anything about it and a laser detector would not have helped a bit, other to confirm that he had got me. But his raised hand confirmed that anyway.
covltwt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first speeding ticket came when I forgot what speed limit I was in. A road without any streetlights. I thought the speed limit was 50mph (7.5t truck) and passed it at 48mph. However, the sign was before a junction and I'd missed it due to stopping for a phone call and, well, we all make mistakes ;)

Since then I have learnt better control of speed and all the associated bits. Which is handy as I've now got a C, D & E licence ;)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the OP can't find his way back to absorb the wisdom perpetrated here Confused
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Seems like the OP can't find his way back to absorb the wisdom perpetrated here Confused

Maybe he got lost looking for the suddenly AWOL Inforad thread? Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: