Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pro shield, Who has one?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pro shield, Who has one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spudsocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Pro shield, Who has one? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying one, but are they any good? I know they will help a lot for waterproofing, but what is the screen like? Is it likely to scratch as easy as the normal screen.

Also is it possible to insert USB cable while pro shield is still on, by just unclipping the bottom and not having to remove it all.

I like the idea of pro shield, but Id like to think I could leave it on permanently
smashing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a ProShield - the screen has a protector on it so is very scratch resistant - but worse in sunlight.

You can get the USB cable in by pulling back the bottom of the Proshield so can be left on. (Taking the shield on and off can be destructive to the rubber USB cover and joystick if you don't take care.)
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and generally I find it very good,perhaps not quite worth the price though.

The slight drawbacks are :-

1. The toggle switch can be fiddly to operate.
2. The wire retainer can be a bit fiddly to locate and secure properly.
3. As "smashing" says you have to be careful not to pull the rubber USB cover off when removing the Pro Shield.

Overall I would say if you don't mind paying the inflated price it is a decent bit of kit.

Ian
spudsocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for Info. £40 is alot for moulded rubber, But if your happy with your purchase, I will go for it. Very Happy
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and can't get on with it. It is fiddly to get on and difficult to use the joystick effectively. but it is very waterproof.
My Blog Geocache Trails
spudh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bright orange one and can echo the guys sentiments about the up and down sides but what I will say is that if you think you need one, you need one, If you think you'd like one, you don't.

They're not so much a 'nice to have' item as a necessity if you're going to use your satmap long term in an extreme environment but they're too much of an inconvenience for normal casual trail use. The satmap has sufficient waterproofing for normal use but if you have it out constantly in heavy rain then you'll need the shield. Similarly for working near water, the shield will up the water resistance to forgive a drop in a stream which might kill it otherwise. It offers a big increase in drop resistance and the orange one makes finding the satmap a lot easier when you drop it in vegetation - believe me thats an issue!

The downsides as said above are that they make it bulky so it no longer sits so comfortably in your hand or slips in and out of your pocket. It makes using the joystick harder and affects its direct sunlight performance adversely.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spudh wrote:

The downsides as said above are that they make it bulky so it no longer sits so comfortably in your hand or slips in and out of your pocket. It makes using the joystick harder and affects its direct sunlight performance adversely.

Have you used the "Bright Sunlight" setting,for want of a better term,it does help slightly ?

Ian
spudh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
spudh wrote:

Have you used the "Bright Sunlight" setting,for want of a better term,it does help slightly ?

Ian

Yeah, I have it permanently on max bright setting but its still difficult in direct sunlight, especially with aerial photography as background. the 'Bright Sunlight' setting is ok for mapping but the colour changes don't work so well on custom stuff. Its fine, you just hunch over it or tuck it inside your jacket to give shade for browsing but it is a weakness in the system. Its not unique to Satmap though most LCD screens suffer that way, even worse with polarid sunglasses.
Harbrimar
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Proshield caused damage to screen Reply with quote

I have had the Proshield rubber case for over a year and have noticed that it has caused numerous fine scratches to the inner screen of the SatMap. I have always been very meticulous when removing the SatMap from the case to ensure no dust is introduced but despite this there is damage. It seems to me that there is a design fault; the Proshield case should be large enough to incorporate the SatMap with its protective screen fitted. I have also noticed that the inner surface of the Proshield screen is rough to the touch when compared with the outside. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
spudh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Proshield caused damage to screen Reply with quote

Harbrimar wrote:
I have had the Proshield rubber case for over a year and have noticed that it has caused numerous fine scratches to the inner screen of the SatMap. I have always been very meticulous when removing the SatMap from the case to ensure no dust is introduced but despite this there is damage. It seems to me that there is a design fault; the Proshield case should be large enough to incorporate the SatMap with its protective screen fitted. I have also noticed that the inner surface of the Proshield screen is rough to the touch when compared with the outside. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Just get one of the Vikuti protective screens for the unit itself. They're really good. We were finding that dirty water was getting between the normal protective screen any way and scratching the inner screen. I got two packets of the screen Vikuti protectors and problems sorted.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: