Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Thieves Turn To Bluetooth To Identify Cars Containing Satnav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Thieves Turn To Bluetooth To Identify Cars Containing Satnav
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Thieves Turn To Bluetooth To Identify Cars Containing Satnav Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Wiltshire Police are warning motorists to switch off their satnavs before leaving their car following a spate of thefts from cars.

Police believe that the crooks are using Bluetooth technology to identify cars which may have satnavs hidden inside.

Many modern satnavs use Bluetooth for handsfree connectivity with a mobile phone. A thief can use a Bluetooth equipped mobile phone to find devices in the vicinity broadcasting a Bluetooth signal.

Whilst switching off the device is one solution, our advice is never to leave your satnav or other high value equipment such as mobile phones, cameras etc in your vehicle when it's unattended.

Never leave anything on show, hide all the power leads and mounts, and pop your satnav in your pocket. Even a few coins in the centre console can temp a thief, don't be a victim.

email icon

andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not surprising this is happening as the amount of satnav's I see on show everyday is rather amazing. It does take long to take it off and stash it somewhere safe ..Turned off I might add ... I have even advised someone about it and their candid answer was naa it wont happen to me attitude so I left it at that
Vandam
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seen this on a tv progam a few months ago called Shameless where they were in a car park with the blue tooth swiched on their phone to locate which cars had laptops and other blue tooth devices in the boot, theives do watch these type of programs you know.
nuvi57LM
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know somebody who had their laptop stolen from the boot of his car. After informing the police, they checked CCTV in the vicinity and lo and behold they saw the culprits. They were holding something in their hands and walked slowly past a row of cars before stopping at my friend's car. IN ALL IT TOOK JUST 19 SECONDS FROM THEM STOPPING TO THEM RUNNING AWAY WITH THE LAPTOP! You have been warned!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand...

I can imagine some laptops may be left in a "sleep" state by their owners where the BlueTooth may stil be active, but surely a Sat-Nav only transmits BT when it is powered up?

Who hides their Sat-Nav in the car but leaves it switched on?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Who hides their Sat-Nav in the car but leaves it switched on?
Aparently enough people for Wiltshire police to spend public money warning people about Shocked
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently ALL computers are discoverable even though they are switched off; and with today's technology that would include laptops, mobile phones, and satnavs with sim card a la TomTom Live etc.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid I don't believe a word of it!

My PC speakers are incredibly sensitive to the "biddly biddly" interference from mobile phone signals.
If I switch one of my TomToms on anywhere near the PC I'm deafened by the noise, but if I power the TomTom down (and on a TomTom that's not even fully 'off'), I hear nothing at all.

Think of all those laptops/phones/satnavs which have been taken on aeroplanes for the last decade or more.
If they were still transmitting BT or GSM signals while switched off, they would never be allowed on the plane. Also, they would never have passed the European emissions regulations and would not be allowed on sale.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:
Apparently ALL computers are discoverable even though they are switched off; and with today's technology that would include laptops, mobile phones, and satnavs with sim card a la TomTom Live etc.
How can devices be discoverable if they are switched off Rolling Eyes They need to transmit a BT signal to be discoverable.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are only discoverable with the very latest incredibly sophisticated equipment made by Apple - they call it the iBall. Wink However it can be preventing from detecting by the iPad.

I'll get my hat
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:

My tomtom 740 is in the room above me and switched off. Can't discover it with my iPhone. Nor can I discover the BT car kit in my car outside.

I suspect a couple of people have left sat nav on in a parked car to save time and maybe on those occasions this trick has worked. Com one that with a misunderstanding on how the technology works and Presto!! Sensationalist media story!!
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieves use something called a scanner and it does pick up a signal from a switched OFF computer, as my friend's was when it was hidden under a coat in the boot of his car! I also had a 720T stolen from a parked car when it was hidden inside a holdall on the passenger seat.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:
Thieves use something called a scanner and it does pick up a signal from a switched OFF computer, as my friend's was when it was hidden under a coat in the boot of his car! I also had a 720T stolen from a parked car when it was hidden inside a holdall on the passenger seat.

How exactly does this "scanner" work??? Magic pixies? Urban myth methinks

And they knicked yours and your mates gear because they broke in on the off chance. In your case it was more than an off chance - leave a holdall on the seat and that will always be an inviting target for thieves. And once they are in they will (surprise surprise) look under a coat and in a holdall.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:

A "scanner"?? Hmmm. And what does this scan for? What signal is a switched OFF Device giving off??

Does it detect the zzzzzzzzzz given off by a sleeping device?

The fact that a device was hidden under a coat in a boot means nothing. The same person has probably broken into several cars and on some occasions found something and on others nothing to steal. Luck of the draw.

PS I wouldnt class anything in a holdal on a passenger seat as Hidden. Whilst the device might not be visible the thief probably thought it was worth the gamble the bag held something of value!! After all I wasn't his window he was breaking.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:
I also had a 720T stolen from a parked car when it was hidden inside a holdall on the passenger seat
He was probably going for the holdall and hit the jackpot with the TT. Doesn't mean he had a 'scanner' to detect it.
Urban myth for the Myth Busters????

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: