Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Identifies Traffic Blackspots During Snow Disruption
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Identifies Traffic Blackspots During Snow Disruption

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: TomTom Identifies Traffic Blackspots During Snow Disruption Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Following the wintry weather which gripped the UK over the weekend, TomTom has identified the biggest problem areas which experienced disruption.

The accident blackspots saw motorists facing long stretches of difficult road conditions and congested traffic, with some drivers delayed for hours on end.

TomTom compiled the data through their HD Traffic service. According to the data, the weekend weather caused more than 20 separate traffic jams of three hours or more across the country.

Major A roads and motorways were common additions to the final list, with the M40, M42, M1 and M25 all suffering traffic jams which delayed motorists overnight during bitterly cold temperatures.

By far the worst affected area was the M40, which appeared three separate times on the list - more often than any other road.

Delays of up to seven hours were experienced on the M40 at around midnight on Saturday with the areas of Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Warwickshire all affected and featuring on the list of blackspots.

In terms of the longest delays experienced, the M11 stretch from London to Cambridgeshire took the title, with motorists halted for seven and a quarter hours during the early hours of Sunday morning.
email icon

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were these delays / road closures actually reported accurately on the device that an end user has purchased otherwise stats such as those reported are useless offering information some 48 to 72 hours AFTER the event - Mike
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or are they preparing the ground for reducing the HD Traffic horizon this winter?.

Sorry, couldn't resist!
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Or are they preparing the ground for reducing the HD Traffic horizon this winter?.

Clap
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it'll be the fog that does that.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I turned on my 550 on Sunday morning, there were nearly 2000 miles of queues within a 75 mile radius. As I'm close to the M25 and M40 that seemed possible. I did not browse the map to see specific roads. The only surprise was that so many people were caught out by such a well forecasted event. They have tens of thousands of tons of grit, but how many grit spreaders?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, I'm a bit disappointed by PGPSW apparently just regurgitating all of TomTom's press releases as news!

This lack of critical assessment does your independent journalistic status no good at all.

TomTom Traffic is simply NOT "identifying the biggest problem areas". In fact it seems to be missing long-term road closures completely.

Here are THREE recent examples in London:

1. Hammersmith flyover - closed for 3 weeks due to de-icing salt rotting the structure.
TomTom traffic reported some congestion in the area, but would happily route you over the closed flyover. Not just on the first day, but for the whole duration of the closure.

2. Brentford High Street / London road - closed since last Wednesday due to a burst water main after the freezing weather.

Again, TomTom HD Traffic has been reporting there are traffic delays in the area, but had no idea that the road has been closed for 7 days.

3. Garratt Lane, Wandsworth - another burst water main due to the freeze. Closed on Monday night, I think (might have been Sunday). TomTom didn't know and tried to route me along it.

And it wasn't just LIVE traffic on the device itself. The TomTom on-line route planner website was just as clueless about these road closures.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly we dropped the ball here. I think we all know the long standing issues with TomTom's HD Traffic.

Whilst I'd hope it's clear that this is TomTom PR and not some new scoop we're claiming an exclusive on, we need to give more consideration to regurgitating it, even on a slow news day.

I'm just as guilty as anyone else of this, but we'll try to take more care before doing this in future.

In the meantime, I will, once again, put some of these issues to TomTom and ask for their comment.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Darren. It has become increasingly tedious to see almost every TomTom topic degenerate into the usual whinge about Traffic.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Identifies Traffic Blackspots During Snow Disrupt Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
Following the wintry weather which gripped the UK over the weekend, TomTom has identified the biggest problem areas which experienced disruption.
Big deal, so did loads of local councils. Shocked

News Team wrote:
The accident blackspots saw motorists facing long stretches of difficult road conditions and congested traffic, with some drivers delayed for hours on end.
Yes, this happens every time we have snow in the UK and they are not neccessarily accident black spots (unless it snows a bit)

That's realy crap 'news' that everyone already knows about. Ok, so they identified it, but what did they do about it that makes this news release newsworthy? They don't bother telling us anything about that.

Telling people what they did about it and how this helped alleviate the problem might have been newsworthy enough to repeat elsewhere, but it would probably have been TomTom propaganda to attempt to lead the un-initiated to believe that owning a TT device is just like finding the holy grail of traffic management and route planning.

In short. This press release tells us nothing we didn't already know, and does not tell us what TT did about it. It's even more of a waste of space than this post Shocked
philce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Clearly we dropped the ball here. I think we all know the long standing issues with TomTom's HD Traffic.

Whilst I'd hope it's clear that this is TomTom PR and not some new scoop we're claiming an exclusive on, we need to give more consideration to regurgitating it, even on a slow news day.

I'm just as guilty as anyone else of this, but we'll try to take more care before doing this in future.

In the meantime, I will, once again, put some of these issues to TomTom and ask for their comment.

Darren, can you ask your contacts what is going on regarding HD traffic? (horizon, new algorithm etc).

You are probably aware of the threads on here, and on the TomTom forums, that have been going on for 14 MONTHS now.

It is so frustrating when these type of press releases are published where the details are clearly, shall we say, not quite the truth? We have been promised so many times that this will be fixed, but still we wait!

Whilst I appreciate that some people have heard enough of the traffic horizon issues, you will appreciate that this is a PREMIUM service that we are paying for, that at times is out performed by a free RDS-TMC receiver!

Perhaps this warrants a story on the main site???
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already approached TomTom and we'll be writing it up as a story once we've gathered all the details.
philce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I've already approached TomTom and we'll be writing it up as a story once we've gathered all the details.

Thanks Darren, it's about time that the truth was publicised more widely. The amount of positive releases from TT on here, Twitter, Facebook etc is getting so frustrating.
philce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Any updates Darren?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spent some time gathering a list of questions and have only recently submitted them to TomTom for comment. Will keep you posted once we have some answers and are in a position to write it all up.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: