Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert Now FREE In All App Markets
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert Now FREE In All App Markets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: CamerAlert Now FREE In All App Markets Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Last week we tested the waters and made the iOS version of CamerAlert FREE to download.

The change was a huge success with a massive spike in downloads and camera reports and so, we have no decided, to make the app a free download in both Android and iOS app markets.

The app is now free to download and, whilst we reserve the right to change that at some future point, we hope to keep it free.

If you haven't sampled the app yet, please do. With in-app database updates, directional camera data (99.97% of our UK cams have directional data) and many user customisable options, it's one of the best ways to get speed camera alerts and existing subscribers can use their subscriber user details to link their smartphone to their subscription.

If you are an existing user, please take the time to write a review and let's get this app back in the Top 10 again!
mrchips
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: SmartPhone CamerAlert Reply with quote

Excellent
Downloads and updates the database easier than on my PC.
Good start ... just got to test it on the road now.
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just downloaded, looks great, is it just the initial download that's currently free, then paying for updates?
mrchips
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a subscription, ... so I don't really know.
But ... to honest ... I can't see that such a good service will remain free .. it is worth too much!
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used it yet, but it looks good, depending how it goes I may well be prepared to pay.

My dad has also been looking at camera detectors, this may be suitable for him, however he would use it on an old HTC hero we no longer use, he basically only uses the mobile for emergencies so is just on a payg tariff with no data, and wouldn't want to change, presumably the camera datbase is stored on the phone, so could be used without any data package, the screen simply showing the cameras and not any maps?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

APK1 wrote:
Just downloaded, looks great, is it just the initial download that's currently free, then paying for updates?

Uh-yes, we do have to eat to you know Smile

You get the app and one free update. After that a subscription is required.
Quote:
My dad has also been looking at camera detectors, this may be suitable for him, however he would use it on an old HTC hero we no longer use, he basically only uses the mobile for emergencies so is just on a payg tariff with no data, and wouldn't want to change, presumably the camera datbase is stored on the phone, so could be used without any data package, the screen simply showing the cameras and not any maps?

He could, but he won't see a map, without a data connection, but he can use LIST view instead. And to update he'd need to download the database over WiFi at home.
APK1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
APK1 wrote:

Uh-yes, we do have to eat to you know Smile

You get the app and one free update. After that a subscription is required.
Quote:

He could, but he won't see a map, without a data connection, but he can use LIST view instead. And to update he'd need to download the database over WiFi at home.

That's fair enough, if I like it, I will happily (reluctantly! Laughing ) pay, presumably without a data connection, the icons would still be displayed on the screen, but without the mapping details?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, all APP UPDATES are free (new features, bug fixes etc). It is the database subscription that needs the subscription after your initial free download.

The free download, unlike some other apps, does not expire - it's not a 30 day trial etc. Obviously as more and more cameras change (roadworks, new cameras, new mobile sites) though the database will become less accurate if you keep the old one.

MaFt
MadBaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is it going to be available on the Windows Phone market?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have no plans in the short term for a Windows Phone version. With limited resources we have to concentrate our efforts where the most potential customers are. We're constantly reviewing this though.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it today on my HTC Desire HD and seems to be very good, but found the screen slightly too small. So I thought I would put it on my 7" Android tablet but it does not appear as available on marketplace, had this trouble with MMTracker as well and had to go to Androidpit to get it. Is there any way you could send me the apk in an email or make it available on androidpit
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent you an email.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Smile
stevov
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
We have no plans in the short term for a Windows Phone version. With limited resources we have to concentrate our efforts where the most potential customers are. We're constantly reviewing this though.

sad to hear this. the camera apps have already started to appear in wp
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt it, but that doesn't mean there is any money to be made there at the moment.

We're a small team and each new OS requires a huge level of investment in learning the platform, buying development hardware and support.

Diluting our efforts across even more platforms is simply not practical or sensible at this time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: