Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Location Sharing Service - Glympse - And We Like It
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Location Sharing Service - Glympse - And We Like It
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: New Location Sharing Service - Glympse - And We Like It Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
There's nothing new about location tracking solutions and there are countless apps and services that you can use to share your location with family and friends. But none have stood out, until now.

Glympse is a relative newcomer but it's kicking up quite a storm with it's service. It allows you to share your location and provide live tracking which can be viewed on a computer or smartphone. You choose who gets to track you and for how long. You can send your location to a single person, a group and you can even share it on Facebook or Twitter.

A simple timer setting allows you to set how long the sharing is active for which solves the worry of forgetting to turn tracking off. Better still, if you're sharing a particular journey, you can set it to expire on your arrival. A nice feature.

But by far the best feature is the quality of the tracking itself. Delivered in real-time, progress is displayed via a Google Map overlay with fluid movement and additional data such as ETA and, optionally, speed.

When you send an invite, or 'glympse' as the app authors call them, the recipient gets an email with a link which takes them to the Glympse website with your live location.

It's a great service, works well, and has a myriad of uses. It's the best of it's kind that we've seen and it is all free.

The Glympse app is available, free of charge, for Android, iOS, Windows Phone 7 and Blackberry. For more information see their website at glympse.com.

email icon

Gl3n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Works really well Reply with quote

Been using this for a while and it is really useful for letting people know where you are and how long you are likely to be before you get there. Not had the chance to test it from tyhe recipient side though.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my apologies. A few people have pointed out that glympse isn't new and has been around for some years. It's only just come to my notice though, no idea how I've missed it until now!

I've been using it for a few days now and it really is very good, much better than services such as Apple's 'Find Friends' and similar.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my mates have been using it for several months now. Beer and curry nights have us using it to see who's nearest and going to buy the 1st pint!!

There's probably a more mature reason to use it, but we are like little kids with it. Or maybe that's not doing kids justice. Confused
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a it doesn't seem to be avaialable on windows phone in the UK or it could be my device but I doubt it for the moment it seams its a US only for this os

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
Just a it doesn't seem to be avaialable on windows phone in the UK or it could be my device but I doubt it for the moment it seams its a US only for this os

It says it's not available for my brothers Nokia Lumia 800 too... We've both emailed Glympse to query it!

MaFt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps, the website offers downloads for Android, iPhone, Winphone 7 and Blackberry.

Maybe don't support the others yet.

Bob

edit by me,

also links for winmobo6 , 6.1 and 6.5
Also links for older versions of windows - v5, touch phones and non touch phones
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
Not sure if this helps, the website offers downloads for Android, iPhone, Winphone 7 and Blackberry.

The handsets Alex and MaFt refer to are Windows Phone 7. But the app isn't showing the UK App Market store for Wp7, that's the issue.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
253 wrote:

The handsets Alex and MaFt refer to are Windows Phone 7. But the app isn't showing the UK App Market store for Wp7, that's the issue.

Ahhh right you are. I started to download it from the web onto the PC, but then said I had to sign up for the Zune account, and I stopped. I don't have a Win phone Smile so no point.
Thought that transferring from PC to the phone may be a way around it.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought it could be my hd7 as its a first gen windows phone and was going to try and re download it when my radar arrives in the next couple of weeks. ( I did want the titan but HTC apparently have messed it up and it would work on O2 Twisted Evil )

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
juwlz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Glympse Reply with quote

I too have been using Glympse for quite some time. You can find my own (rather more in-depth) review from June last year on my blog. It's great for keeping people up to date on your progress as you travel to meet them, or for helping somebody to find you when they're on their way to you.

One thing to beware of though - when you use the application, it will use the GPS antenna in your phone even when the application is in the background. This is different (on Android, at least) from other GPS-enabled apps, which don't use the GPS in the background. This makes it a real battery killer, so if you're going to use it for any length of time, your phone had better be connected to a charger. It also means that if somebody sends you a Glympse, you're wise to choose to view it using a browser rather than the Application, unless you need to send your position back to them.

Julie
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Glympse Reply with quote

juwlz wrote:
You can find my own (rather more in-depth) review from June last year

To be fair, ours wasn't a review, simply a news item. I'd hope our reviews were known to be rather more in-depth than that.
juwlz wrote:
One thing to beware of though - when you use the application, it will use the GPS antenna in your phone even when the application is in the background. This is different (on Android, at least) from other GPS-enabled apps, which don't use the GPS in the background.

That's a normal method of operation for many GPS app. If they didn't run in the background then, every time you switched focus away from the app the GPS tracking would stop. That would be a big problem for an app such as glympse.

Our own app, CamerAlert does the same thing as do many navigation apps I have tested.

Last edited by Darren on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Julie, very good review. I think this might even be the second app for me to download.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
juwlz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Glympse Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
juwlz wrote:
You can find my own (rather more in-depth) review from June last year

To be fair, ours wasn't a review, simply a news item. I'd hope our reviews were known to be rather more in-depth than that.

Very Happy Fair point. I apologise unreservedly.

Quote:
juwlz wrote:
One thing to beware of though - when you use the application, it will use the GPS antenna in your phone even when the application is in the background. This is different (on Android, at least) from other GPS-enabled apps, which don't use the GPS in the background.

That's a normal method of operation for many GPS app. If they didn't run in the background then, every time you switched focus away from the app the GPS tracking would stop. That would be a big problem for an app such as glympse.

I agree that Glympse NEEDS to work that way, but not all GPS enabled apps do. I've just tested it on my phone, and Google Maps doesn't keep GPS enabled when it's not in the foreground - you can see the GPS icon disappear from the notification bar when you switch away. Having said that, in navigation mode, it DOES keep the GPS active - which makes sense.

The fact that you need to be aware of how much battery it sucks up is still valid though, although perhaps GPS-savvy users in this forum are more used to GPS apps' heavy battery requirements on smartphones than other smartphone users might be.

Julie
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Glympse Reply with quote

juwlz wrote:
The fact that you need to be aware of how much battery it sucks up is still valid though, although perhaps GPS-savvy users in this forum are more used to GPS apps' heavy battery requirements on smartphones than other smartphone users might be.

True. I'd always advise that you use external power for any in-car GPS app usage, but that wouldn't be a solution if you weren't in a car or some other place with access to power, e.g. pedestrian mode.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: