Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cambridgeshire Speed Campaign Benefits From New Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cambridgeshire Speed Campaign Benefits From New Database
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Cambridgeshire Speed Campaign Benefits From New Database Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Residents of Cambridgeshire are hoping to benefit from safer roads as a new database is launched to assist with the current Speedwatch campaign.

The scheme allows local residents to erect temporary speed cameras to help catch offending motorists.

The information collected by the cameras is then used to send the drivers letters which warn them about their driving, helping them to adjust this whilst avoiding formal prosecution through a speeding ticket.

David McCandless, one of the scheme's co-ordinators, told the Cambridge News and Crier that the warning letter was designed to give drivers the "jolt" they needed, highlighting the need for them to adjust their speed.

Since records began, as many as 10,000 drivers out of 12,243 vehicles checked have been caught speeding by the community cameras in the St Ives area alone. This huge percentage of speeders raises many questions in itself!

The cameras used in the scheme were placed over twelve different areas within St Ives and are said to have completed over four hundred speed check sessions.

Statistics for other areas showed similar results with Ramsey finding more than three thousand people guilty of speeding since June 2010. These speed checks were held over more than one hundred sessions, covering twelve villages and towns in the area.

To help residents improve the scheme further, a new database is being launched for the campaign. McCandless explained that this would see a combined records database for the community used, making it quicker to check vehicle details such as whether there is insurance or a valid MOT.

Is this type of verification just one more step towards communities helping to diminish the need for more police officers?
email icon

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cambridgeshire Speed Campaign Benefits From New Database Reply with quote

News Team wrote:

To help residents improve the scheme further, a new database is being launched for the campaign. McCandless explained that this would see a combined records database for the community used, making it quicker to check vehicle details such as whether there is insurance or a valid MOT.

Does this mean these volunteers get access to driver's insurance and MOT records?
Surely that would break every data protection rule in the book?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cambridgeshire Speed Campaign Benefits From New Database Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
Since records began, as many as 10,000 drivers out of 12,243 vehicles checked have been caught speeding by the community cameras in the St Ives area alone. This huge percentage of speeders raises many questions in itself!

Statistics for other areas showed similar results with Ramsey finding more than three thousand people guilty of speeding since June 2010. These speed checks were held over more than one hundred sessions, covering twelve villages and towns in the area.

Whilst I thoroughly disapprove of speeding, this report makes outrageously horrifying reading.

First, it gives the impression of cowboy speed checkers operating unsupervised.
Quote:
allows local residents to erect temporary speed cameras
Just where and how are they erecting cameras - tripods or some dodgy bit of balancing on the boot of somebody's car?

Second, the differences between the two sets of figures offered are extremely odd - St Ives gets 10,000 speeders out of 12,243 vehicles checked. But Ramsey checks 22,588 vehicles and reports only 3,063 for speeding. It won't happen to me, but in the case of St Ives letters, I'd be wanting to know just what sort of operation is running, by whom and exactly what training they'd had and if the cameras are calibrated sufficiently frequently.

Third, there is an implication that these cowboy camera operators have access to ANPR technology. So all I need is a pal in Cambridgeshire to be able to find out where lives the nuisance who parks outside my house during the school run! Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cambridgeshire Speed Campaign Benefits From New Database Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
News Team wrote:

Does this mean these volunteers get access to driver's insurance and MOT records?

Indeed it would break every rule in the book. Only the authorities would have access to the data collected by the volunteers. At least I assume so!
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cambridgeshire Speed Campaign Benefits From New Database Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Just where and how are they erecting cameras - tripods or some dodgy bit of balancing on the boot of somebody's car?

Tripods I believe.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cambridgeshire Speed Campaign Benefits From New Database Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
News Team wrote:

Indeed it would break every rule in the book. Only the authorities would have access to the data collected by the volunteers. At least I assume so!

Not so sure, if the information just said "Insurance - Yes' or 'MOT - No'. without giving any persoanl details e.g. people details on the insurance policy, then that would be OK.

It's 'personal' details that are subject to the DPA.
So I am assuming that there is probably a way around it, otherwise the RAC/AA and others would be over it like a rash.

edit by me.

Just remembered that the AIB (or whatever they are called) the Insurers Association only allow full access to their insurance database for certain reasons, and speeding is not one of them.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with a PC and internet connection can check the MIB database to check if a vehicle is insured.

Somehow I think this is just a scare mongering tactic that in reality will not be in the hands of the OAP volunteers.

Most of the Community Speed Watch signs here were ripped down afew days after they appeared.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Anyone with a PC and internet connection can check the MIB database to check if a vehicle is insured.

Somehow I think this is just a scare mongering tactic that in reality will not be in the hands of the OAP volunteers.

Most of the Community Speed Watch signs here were ripped down afew days after they appeared.

If you mean this: http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/ then it is only meant for YOUR OWN vehicle:
Quote:
Data Protection Declaration and Vehicle Ownership Statement
I am entitled to the insurance information about the vehicle detailed above for one or more of the following reasons: It is either registered/ owned/ insured by me or my employer; I am permitted to drive it; I am an Insurance Broker or agent and acting on behalf of my client.

I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without any of the above reasonable causes. If I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring this information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data protection Act 1998. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry.
I confirm that: I have read and understood the data protection declaration, one of the options stated above applies to me and I agree to the terms of use as stated on this website.

Otherwise you need to pay for each request and still need a valid reason for it. I can't see the police getting the OAPs to pay for the information to send to the police...!

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But at the end of the day they have no legal standing. I could phone the police every 10 minutes and whine at them saying "a car just drove too fast" or "there's a car parked on double yellow lines". That's basically what these people are doing albeit with a pointless news report about it.

The police can do nothing unless they witness it with their own eyes. Until then it's just hearsay.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buity apparantly they can send you a letter Shocked
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Buity apparantly they can send you a letter Shocked

If you want, I can send you a letter too?

Dear Mr T,

Someone told me you were being naughty the other day. I have no proof of this so I cannot do anything about it, but I just wanted to let you know.

Love & Kisses

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I hope you frame it when it arrives M8 Very Happy

That's if MaFt can find a stamp....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Laughing

I'll stamp on him for you. Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to that nice Mr. MaFt's letter. Bog Off
DennisN wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
Laughing

I'll stamp on him for you. Very Happy
Yes please Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: