Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Announces Agreement To Acquire Navigon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Announces Agreement To Acquire Navigon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Garmin Announces Agreement To Acquire Navigon Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Following on from rumours last week, Garmin have now issues a press release in which they announce the signing of an agreement to acquire German navigation provider Navigon.

The agreement is for a Garmin subsidiary to acquire the privately held company and the acquisition will give them a much needed foothold in the European automotive OEM business. Navigon had recently announced the signing of contracts with German car manufacturers.

If the rumoured purchase price of €50 million is accurate, Garmin has nabbed a bargain purchase here. In addition to a seven per cent market share in the PND market, Navigon has also proved a very popular choice on smartphones, it's one of the top navigation solutions on both iOS and Android.

Navigon will operate as a subsidiary of Garmin Ltd.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they will continue to use their own software or if we will start to see some elements merging into each?

MaFt
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Oh no Reply with quote

Please Garmin do not F$%^k with the design the routing or the maps of the Navigon. I'm a proud owner of a navigon 70 premium live. It is a pleasure to use. The map graphics are the best looking on the market and the routing and lane assist are excellent. Please Garmin Step away from the Navigon your routing is way out and your graphics are really horrible to look at

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
your routing is way out and your graphics are really horrible to look at

...probably why they bought them. Oh and having a decent cross-platform app

If you can't beat them, buy them!

Still providing Garmin are still nimble enough to turn the best of both through each of their product lines, then they could be on to a winner
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no Reply with quote

zebsogo wrote:
....your graphics are really horrible to look at

I thought it was just me!

I've always thought the graphics on Garmins look like they were drawn for a comic book, and it's the main thing that's stopped me trying one.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one once and that was half the reason I took it back and exchanged for another TomTom.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love 'em or hate 'em, together with TomTom they dominate the market.

It will be interesting to see how they operate Navigon. Personally I'd like to see some Garmin features rolled into the Navigon UI. It would be great to have them benefit from a custom OS rather than sitting in top of WinCE.

Navigon, with the benefit of the Garmin name and advertising spend ought to see a rapid increase in sales.

But, in the cold light of day, I wouldn't don't be surprised to see them quietly subsume the product in favour of Garmin's own designs.
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Love 'em or hate 'em, together with TomTom they dominate the market.
But, in the cold light of day, I wouldn't don't be surprised to see them quietly subsume the product in favor of Garmin's own designs.

Maybe the hardware design I could live with but not the interface or the map routing. Navigon could benefit from a better screen as in bright lighting conditions it is hard to see things. but easily remedied by a sun visor for $10.

michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Garmin buys Navigon Reply with quote

Thats the worst news ever. They will try to dumb down Navigon so that they cannot compete with Garmin!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin buys Navigon Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
Thats the worst news ever. They will try to dumb down Navigon so that they cannot compete with Garmin!

they don't need to compete.... they are part of Garmin... they're not competition anymore...
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin buys Navigon Reply with quote

[quote="MaFt"]
michaelj2 wrote:

Its just a thought but Garmin may not continue developing Navigon Products and just let is fall by the wayside dieing a slow death. God i hope not.. Geez im freaking myself out here !!!

michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Garmin buys Navigon Reply with quote

What I meant was that they will know that Navigon is a better product that the current Garmin and they will therefore either dumb it down so it is not better, or they will phase it out and all of us who moved from Garmin some years ago will have nowhere to go
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin buys Navigon Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
all of us who moved from Garmin some years ago will have nowhere to go
You might try typing in the post code? Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin buys Navigon Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:

How much dumber could Navigon possibly get? My brief sampling of a Navigon unit just about made me screech in frustration. I think it was the 2100 max:

- no way to change the keyboard from ABCDE to QWERTY, as far as I could tell
- weirdest selection of POIs and categories, ever
- pronounced "Mapleshade Dr" as "Map Le Shade Doctor"
- first instruction it gave to me would have sent me 120 miles into the opposite direction
- first official update bricked the unit

Maybe they're OK in Europe, but state-side, Garmin rules, and TomTom follows closely.
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin buys Navigon Reply with quote

Quote:
How much dumber could Navigon possibly get? My brief sampling of a Navigon unit just about made me screech in frustration. I think it was the 2100

Hi. Things have moved on since the model you had. They are very user friendly with a wealth of functionality and good looks. Check out the Navigon 70 or the 8450 on youtube

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: