Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best satnav for a taxi driver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best satnav for a taxi driver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garmin001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Best satnav for a taxi driver Reply with quote

Hi,
If based out of Belfast, Co Antrim, what Garmin model features are essential for Taxi driving...or is there a super Garmin 150.00 pounds recommended.

Must one pay for Live traffic services or do some come with lifetime services?

Just a few words on Must have features if possible please.

garmin001 Question
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Best Garmin Taxi Reply with quote

garmin001 wrote:
what Garmin model features are essential for Taxi driving...

Not sure I understand.. I'm guessing you want to know which Garmin model(s) would be good for a taxi driver to use?

Do you have an idea of what features you need? Or are you asking what features we might think you need!

Someone might be able to suggest a model or two if you can give some idea of what you want.

Garmin do not have "Live" Traffic with a capital "L" - that's a TomTom-specific feature using multiple data sources and location info from thousands of T-Mobile phone users, which is then sent to the devices via a built-in SIM card.
Garmins only have "RDS-TMC" Traffic, which uses an external aerial to receive traffic data over FM radio. That service is free to the end-user in the UK and Ireland (or to be pedantic the life-subscription is included in the price of the receiver aerial).
garmin001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Feature Request Reply with quote

Hi,
To update: Yes I want to know what specific features I should have on the TomTom Im about to buy , as a Taxi Driver in Ireland / UK. I was thinking 130-160 pounds ?

Thanks for the reply so far.

garmin001
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Feature Request Reply with quote

garmin001 wrote:
Hi,
To update: Yes I want to know what specific features I should have on the TomTom Im about to buy

From the title and text of your first post, I thought you were buying a Garmin!? Stop it!

Anyway...

I would have thought that, for a taxi driver, fast calculation of routes (and re-calculation when you peel off onto a different road) would be very important.
For that, I would think the new TomTom Go1000 or 1005 models are probably unbeatable as they have pre-calculated thousands of routes by buying time on a supercomputer.

I would also think that TT's Live Traffic would be better than anybody's RDS-TMC traffic (it's certainly better then their own version of it)

Something with accurate house numbers would be good. This often ISN'T very good on TomToms. Usually in towns it will get you within yards on a postcode search, but if you only have the street anme and house number to go on, the TT much too often ends up saying "That house number not known for this street" or words to that effect.

Also a unit where the voice tells you WHICH SIDE of the street your destination is on would be good. Recent TomToms DID start doing that, but it seemed to disappear again on a software update.

That's about all I can think of so far.
garmin001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Detail Request Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes I am garmin001 the inexperienced satnav user at this time, but now Ive learned thanks to PGPSWORLD.com that for my needs I may have to go with a TT, do excuse me.
So let me ask once more, which unit would you buy today as a taxi driver.
We know TomTom G1000 is on the shortlist but lets us down on telling us verbally what side of the street our destination address is on , along with pinpointing exact house number.

So is there a Satnav on the market which can outdo the mighty TT1000 in this respect or is it a case of no satnav currently on the market can give the kind of performance Im requesting? Thank you for the reply so far.

garmin001 Embarassed
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the other thread started by the OP on the same topic, which I've locked.

DennisN wrote:
I think the house number is a sort of logical count - the device seems to have a selection of numbers (either many or few, presumably based on the length of the street) and calculates the intervening numbers. Sometimes pretty well, sometimes hopelessly. I can't imagine it being any different no matter which satnav brand you choose. Directions to exact street are usually good - more recent build is a problem, of course, so you'll be let down in new estates. I didn't think taxi drivers bothered with satnavs, I thought you all just knew places like the back of your hands and certainly were more savvy about one way systems and turn restrictions.

Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: