Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Navigon to Buy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Navigon to Buy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Which Navigon to Buy Reply with quote

I currently own a Tom Tom 540, and i'm wanting upgrade. I was looking to buy a TomTom 1000 with the live services, but with the farce that is going on at TT i'm starting to look elsewhere.

The Navigon Premium 70 Live Services looks to be OK. Is there anything i should know about the 70?

What i'm after is a PND that gives me live traffic updates, that will let me update the speed cameras from PGW, and has UK maps.
Not interested in if it plays music, bluetooth and all the rest, just want to get where i'm going and know the traffic situation at the same time.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions, please

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
v0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Which Navigon to Buy Reply with quote

keithmillar wrote:

The Navigon Premium 70 Live Services looks to be OK.

I use 70 Live Premium since early December and live services are very, very, very patchy. There were at least three separate instances in the last 30 days when live services just didn't work for me in South East/London for anywhere between 24 and 72 hours. The data upload/sending icon was flashing, but traffic updates just weren't available.
I wish I could say that when it works, it works well, but that's certainly not the case in my experience. There are bugs, not fixed for at least last three software updates - for example many major closures in London as marked as "events" without any delay preset, which means for example that every single day, my Navigon tries to lead me to major junctions and crossings, like Blackwall Tunnel or West London bridges with traffic description of "Concert" or "Event" and message that "no alternative routes are suggested" and the places are closed shut for hours, many are even closed for routine maintentance for years now. 90% of times the unit behaves like escalation of traffic was set in reverse - it will not offer alternative routes for major incidents, routine closures, football matches, student demonstrations, police diversions or (sic!) collapsed buildings, but it will gladly offer most bizarre alternatives for minimal distruptions, like single lane closures on multilane roundabouts or one lane merges for resurfacing of motorway hard shoulders.

Quote:

Is there anything i should know about the 70?

Yes. Map display is great, clear and fully featured, but the unit is marred with bugs. Loads of bugs and there are more bugs introduced with every update so far. Bugs, that if you start reading international forums, go on unfixed for months and reverting back from backups is not always possible, because most updates flash new ROM as well as software on internal drive and often older software doesn't work with new ROM.

According to German forums, the last "working fairly stable version was 7.7.1 ROM version 1.59. My unit was delivered with 7.7.2, so I was already screwed. My unit wouldn't wake up from standby if anything was inserted into memory card slot and right from the start had problems with sound playback (navigation works, but voice overs and replies to voice commands don't work half the time).
Shortly after I bought my unit Navigon issued update 7.7.3, which flashed ROM and made voice issues even worse. Upgrade was quickly removed from the website. Update 7.7.4 upgraded ROM to 1.79, has not fixed anything, but additionally introduced GPS signal problems.

Current version is 7.7.5 with ROM version 1.82, voiceover bug is still not fixed, GPS bug is fixed, but now volume controls don't work (maximum volume all the time), proximity sensor cannot be disabled and at the moment many follow up voice command replies exit before screen is redrawn, so for example you can ask for "new destination" the unit will ask if you want to cancel your current route, you reply "yes", the unit then starts redrawing the screen and before it can display main menu, the voice command icon is already gone and you have to finish what you started with your fingers. And that's ugly task to complete because Navigon use medieval resistive screens with software presets from PDA, so it's prepped for stylus rather than fingers. You'll find you need to switch to presing screen with your nails rather than finger tips and double tap everywhere, to which you get used to, but never stop getting annoyed by.

7.7.5 was introduced on 20th December. It's been well over a month and no fix or patch has been issued yet. Instead one can only imagine there are several thousands of rather peed off owners driving around Europe with their units yelling turn by turn commands at them with maximum factory volume. :D

Quote:
What i'm after is a PND that gives me live traffic updates, that will let me update the speed cameras from PGW, and has UK maps.

I'd say look elsewhere.
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW... you've not help back with your thoughts.... thank you for the information it would appear that i'd be screwed as soon as i bought the model.
Yet the 40 model was given a good review only a few weeks ago on this forum.
I'll have to keep looking for a different model to buy. My TT540 is still running ok and i can either sit tight and wait for the TT1000 to be in state so that it's a proper working model - see in the Navigon improves - as i write this i can hear myself say 'and pigs will fly' Laughing

Think i'll sit tight for now.

Is there any chance you can let me have the links for German forum, would be interesting to see what they have to say

Thanks

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
v0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keithmillar wrote:

Is there any chance you can let me have the links for German forum, would be interesting to see what they have to say
Thanks

Sure - link.
cuthbert37
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Navigon 4350 Reply with quote

Hi,
This is not about the 70, but I am replying because your requirements are similar to mine. I bought a Navigon 4350 Max from Halfords in December 2010. The 4350 has been superseded by the 40/70. However I went for the older model in order to get the special Halfords deal: lifetime free Premium TMC subscription.

As my first satnav, the unit is good. Premium TMC it not the same as "live" services but it seems to be pretty good. Premium TMC is a paid-for service in the UK that gathers traffic alerts from a variety of sources (eg. police reports, radio reports, roadside cameras). So I get a reasonable delay-avoidance service coupled with a good satnav, without the faff of connecting a phone.

Navigon pros: good maps, attractive map display, very clear spoken directions. Fast satellite acquisition.

Navigon cons: User interface a bit clunky (eg. keyboard is not qwerty, and to find the nearest pertol station you have to drill down through 4 menus - what were they thinking!), my model doesn't allow user defined POI (but the 70 does I believe).

Look out for special deals. I got the free lifetime Premum TMC. With other deals, for example, you get a voucher allowing you 3 or 4 years of very cheap map updates (£17 a year or something).

Buying a satnav is a mugs game. The manufacturers split their software in to many, many products, and they give you some features while withholding others. They then hope you will pay more later on for extra features. Before you buy the satnav and run it for a month or so, you can never know exactly what features you got, which were withheld and how useful they might be.

If only there was an open source satnav software. (not the maps - the software). Having said that, I reckon all satnavs are pretty excellent. Confused Confused
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a satnav is a mugs game...... Yep i tend to agree with you on that one, If anythinh its the name that sells the product...If its a Tom Tom thats its got to be good... Does It!!!!!!! Just look at the TT1000 series Rolling Eyes

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
tornaway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been using a 4310 for over a year now and had no problems at all, highly recommended along with it's bigger brother the 4350.

Seems the 70 series was just a step too far.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tornaway wrote:
Have been using a 4310 for over a year now and had no problems at all, highly recommended along with it's bigger brother the 4350.

Having a slight problem with Navigon (see separate post) but otherwise I would agree.

4350 currently available from Halfords at £90 complete with bluetooth, TMC traffic (lots of countries), 2 years maps @ £15, etc.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C1man wrote:
4350 currently available from Halfords at £90 complete with bluetooth, TMC traffic (lots of countries), 2 years maps @ £15, etc.

February 19th: Now down to £80 - if you can find it!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: