Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Rider V1, V2 & V3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Rider V1, V2 & V3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
number47uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: TomTom Rider V1, V2 & V3 Reply with quote

I believe that there have been 3 versions of the Rider now V1, V2 & V3. Does anyone know the differances between them? Also how can you tell which version it is if the advert doesn't say?

I'm looking at getting the Rider Pro Europe which comes with the Scala BT headset. On the TomTom website the price is £399.99 which is costly but some sites like Amazon sell it for over £100 less. Would this be because they are selling an older version?

If it is an older version I presume that the gauranteed Map update won't work either.

Thanks for any help.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There should not be any new V1 riders around anymore its at least 4 years since they stopped making them.

Externally there is very little difference between the V2 and V3 I think the V3 is black and the V2 silver grey.

Internally the V3 has more ram and the latest navcore. ( note that you can adapt the latest navcore to run on the V2 without problems)

If it is described as the Rider pro it should be V3 otherwise it would be false advertising.

I am using a V2 which I have had for quite some time but now using the latest navcore, with a few menu tweeks.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also

Make sure your getting the pro and not the urban, if you plan longer journeys you will want the charging handle bar dock.

Also note that these charging docks do fail from time to time Im on my third now, but I use the bike almost daily so it does get some use.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black frame surrounding the screen on the V2 Rider has a dimpled dot pattern whereas the surround on the V1 is plain black - no pattern.

The mounting system changed significantly between V1 and V2 as well.
number47uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,

I ordered a Rider Pro Europe and it arrived this morning. It is black with a dimpled surround (model 4GC01). It does have the Scala Rider BT headset. It does not have a card slot. The handle bar mount does not charge the Rider.

I need to wait until I get home after work to connect it to HOME and see if it updates. Also need to buy a charging dock (£45 I think) and a case to carry it and the Scala when not in use but TomTom don't seem to sell one.

TomTom on-line specs say that the memory is 32MB but mine reports that it has 64MB of RAM.

Info on the screen:
App 9.201.529550.1 OS 528256
(1011, 19/5/2010)
64MB RAM (free: 14.6MB)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5250
Map "Europe_2GB" v 845.2702
Language English UK

I'll let you know how the update goes tonight. Mike.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: rider V3 Reply with quote

number47uk wrote:
Thanks Guys,

I ordered a Rider Pro Europe and it arrived this morning. It is black with a dimpled surround (model 4GC01). It does have the Scala Rider BT headset. It does not have a card slot. The handle bar mount does not charge the Rider.

TomTom on-line specs say that the memory is 32MB but mine reports that it has 64MB of RAM.

64 Mb of ram is right on the latest riders the V2 has 32mb the website must be wrong. I thought the pro came with an active bike mount that should charge your rider. Otherwise you get around 2 hrs from the battery.

The active mount is around 45.00 to buy separately
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT website mentions a "Trip Statistics" feature on all the new Riders.

And the manual shows you can get it to create GPX routes data and ITN itinerary files while you ride.

Those are firsts for any TomTom aren't they?
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
The TT website mentions a "Trip Statistics" feature on all the new Riders.

And the manual shows you can get it to create GPX routes data and ITN itinerary files while you ride.

Those are firsts for any TomTom aren't they?

I have used the option to track my route( start recording) it works quite well.
Easier than trip master to sort out

Still to try out the twisty option. Missing on the latest system is the option to auto shut down when you disconnect the power, thats a bit of a pain, but I guess thats because they are selling it without a on bike power dock. Managed to get that to work with a bit of messing han some help from another website.
number47uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, HOME updated the navcore but said the map was 3 versions out of date. Must thank Currys for sending me old stock. Will try the Gauranteed map upgrade tonight.

Ordered the powered dock and cable from TomTom direct but that could take 4-5 days to arrive. Need to work out how to mount it as I have a Honda Blackbird so the handle bar mount has nothing to bolt onto. I have seen some bikes with a ball mounted on the headstock which looks very neat.

Winding Road and Track Route look nice, can't wait to try them out. Don't seem to be able to preplan a route like on my GO730 nor cancel one. Must read the manual.

Just need the weather to dry out a bit.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

number47uk wrote:

Winding Road and Track Route look nice, can't wait to try them out. Don't seem to be able to preplan a route like on my GO730 nor cancel one. Must read the manual.

Plan a route gives you an option button depart from. or use the itinery planning. ( probably easier if you use a 3rd part software like tyre to plan in google earth then copy to your tomtom)

number47uk wrote:

Just need the weather to dry out a bit.

Wimp Joker Nothing wrong with a bit of inclement weather or are you going to spend more time polishing your machine than riding it Question Laughing
number47uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the pre-plan and cancel under the Alternative route button which is only available when a route has been set. Rolling Eyes

I do use TYRE and think its great. It looks like I may be able to use the tracking option to put a route I've ridden into Google Maps and might then be able to link it with TYRE. Have to try it.

Years ago the bike was my only means of transport so I rode whatever the weather (about 38,000 miles per year). Now I have a car as well so have become a more FWR. Although on a ride after the New Year I went out on cold dry roads and rode home through heavy snow hardly being able to see the traffic. Shocked

Just ordered the Telferizer mount.
number47uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for an update.

Fitted the Telferizer mount by pulling the rubber bung out of the centre of the headstock, inserted the mount and screwed it till it was tight then fitted the RAM mount to it and tightened it a bit more. You don't need to pay for the Telferizer until 5 days after you get it. It is neat unobtrusive and very good. The ball is like a hard rubber so gives a very good grip for the mount and no vibrations. I position the RAM mount sideways which gives a bit more room to get at the key for the ignition. I connected the electrical connections to a car cigarette socket under my seat.

Not much sun recently but had no problems with glare so far. Night-time colours are a bit too low for good visibility at night so I will look at increasing that from its normal 15%. Volume on the Scala Rider Bluetooth headset is very good even with wind noise, ear plugs and a thick winter head warmer under the helmet.

Without having to set anything it remembers the stats from today's ride and the accumulated stats from when it was first used.
Winding Roads so far has had me on not very nice small slow roads but there is a slider to put more priority on more major roads but I haven't tried it yet.

With hindsight I would have bought it without the Scala Rider and sourced a different headset that would allow me to use other devices such as an MP3 player and maybe a PMR radio. This could have been one of the other Scala headsets that have more functions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: